Monday, January 16, 2023

MONDAY RECIPE POST - ASIAN CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP

We made this for the first time a couple of weeks ago, on Friday, January 6th, 2023.  We have tried lots of chicken noodle soups, but not many with Asian flavorings and it was excellent.  It's fun to look for recipes on all the available food blogs.  I have never found one for us that hasn't been anything but as good as it looks.  This one came from Cooking Classy hosted by Jaclyn.   You can find the original here.  I always highly recommend visiting them, as there are many, many delicious looking recipes, with great tips and photographs.  I have already found another one I want to try, Salmon Rice Bowls, but that's for another Monday share.  

The suggested time from prep to table is 50 minutes. It always takes me a bit longer between doing the prep work and reading the recipe.  Still only a little over an hour, and that's with me moving fairly slowly, and sitting at the kitchen table with cutting board in front of me and sipping a cup of tea in between.

Asian Chicken Noodle Soup - 4 servings
493 calories per serving

2 Tbsp vegetable oil

1 cup diced carrots (about 2 large)

6 green onions, sliced (1 1/2 cups)

4 garlic cloves, minced

2 Tbsp minced peeled ginger

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts

Salt and freshly ground white or black pepper

6-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth

2-1/2 tablespoon of soy sauce, or more to taste

2 tablespoon mirin

2 tablespoon rice vinegar

1 tablespoon Sriracha

1 tablespoon sesame oil

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

3 cups slightly packed chopped Napa cabbage

6 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced

1 (4.3 ounce) package dry ramen, seasoning packets discarded

1/2 cup chopped cilantro

Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. 

Add carrots and sauté 3 minutes then add green onions, garlic and ginger and sauté 2 minutes longer, set aside.

Cover chicken with plastic wrap and pound to an even thickness using the flat side of a meat mallet. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.

Season both sides of chicken lightly with salt and pepper, then add to pot and cook until browned on both sides, about 2 1/2 minutes per side.

Pour in chicken broth, soy sauce, mirin, rice vinegar, Sriracha, and sesame oil, then pour carrot mixture into soup mixture.

Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until chicken has cooked through (center should register 165 degrees on an instant read thermometer), about 5 - 7 minutes.

Remove chicken breasts from soup and transfer to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes then cut into strips.

Meanwhile, stir in sugar, cabbage and mushrooms and return soup to a boil. 

Add noodles and cook 3 - 5 minutes longer until noodles are tender. Stir in chicken. 

Serve warm sprinkled with cilantro.


This was a very yummy soup.  We made a few changes.

Instead of using chicken and as we already had a piece of pork ready for our next meal, we used that instead.  We diced it before cooking but on reflection I think it would have benefitted having larger pieces, as shown with the chicken in the original.  The pork kind of disappeared though it more than probably added to the flavor of our soup.  I will stick with chicken next time.

We replaced the ramen with udon noodles, for the same reasons.  We had it on hand and they needed to be used.  They were fresh noodles and we didn't deviate from the cooking process, time, etc.

Instead of crimini mushrooms we substituted the small white button ones, for the same reasons as above.

We also replaced the fresh grated ginger with Dorot’s Crushed Ginger cubes which we keep in the freezer.  We have also used their garlic, though not this time.  
Added note: Ginny’s comment reminded me that the above might be hard to find.  For us who live in the States, their company has a product finder which tells you a store’s location in your area that stocks them (overseas there could be an equivalent though different brand).  This website page is at the following: 

https://dorotgardens.com/where-to-find/ 

For Ginny’s area they mentioned Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Whole Foods and a couple more, and showed the particular product available which you can click on to see.

We also added extra broth.  It called for 6-1/2 cups by my dear other half wanted the extra and we used two 4-cup cartons, which was great.  He said he would like to make a double portion of the soy-mirin-sesame mixture next time, because of the extra liquid.

We added a few more carrots.

With the extra ingredients we have leftovers for at least another two days.  Love cooking but it is always nice to have a day now and again where kitchen time is practically zero.

Definitely making this again.  

We both gave this soup a ten out of ten.  

Thank you for visting today.
Have a great week and
Bon Appétit! 




 

28 comments:

  1. I'm going to make it! Do not have the mirin, so I will leave that out. I wish I could find those frozen Dorot garlic & ginger cubes. I've looked everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, that’s great. If you look up the Dorot’s home page, they have a product finder and will tell you what store in your area stocks them.

      https://dorotgardens.com/where-to-find/

      They mentioned Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Whole Foods and a couple more, and showed the particular one available which you can click on to see. Hope that helps :)

      Delete
  2. Hooray for tasty meals - and left overs are a true bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe :) This soup looks appetizing. I love Asian dishes :) Nice recipe, you can modify it in different ways :) I really like experimenting in the kitchen :)
    Greetings from Poland!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings Klaudia, how very nice to meet you and welcome to my blog :) Thank you, I look forward to visiting you soon.

      Delete
  4. Warming and perfect for rainy weather we have over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get warmer weather and sunshine soon Angie :)

      Delete
  5. Oh that looks delicious. I must confess though that I have no idea what mirin is. I've never seen those mushrooms or that kind of cabbage in the stores here either. Then again I've never looked for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, mirin is a Japanese sweet rice wine and is very similar to sake, with a higher concentration of sugar but lower alcohol content. I read that dry white wine or rice vinegar will also do, though to counteract the sourness you need to add about a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar for every tablespoon you use :)

      Delete
  6. Ten out of ten, it must be delicious. I love most kinds of soup. Thanks for sharing.
    Take care, have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was excellent Eileen and you are very welcome :) Thank you and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  7. Soup is one of our favorite meals with a side salad or homemade bread. This one looks delicious, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dorothy, couldn't have put it better myself :) Thank you!

      Delete
  8. I love soup in the winter. Looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Jeanie, so comforting on a chilly night :)

      Delete
  9. this looks great in the photo, your hubby is blessed to have a cook, mine is cursed with me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm blessed to have a co-cook in the kitchen Sandra, we made this together, and I would never say Bob is cursed with you my friend, rather that he has an angel looking out for him :)

      Delete
  10. I imagine that would get too spicy for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks William :) You could leave the Siracha out and then it wouldn't spicy at all.

      Delete
  11. It's been cold here in Florida this month and this looks so good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you are very welcome :) I've heard about the chilly spell Carol, and about the iguanas dropping out of the trees because they are stunned with the cold weather. Hope it all warms up for you real soon.

      Delete
  12. With a ten out of ten score, this soup looks and sounds a winner :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope my blogging friends feel the same way if they try it Jan. I should add a cavoite that it was to us, I know everyone has their own idea of what is a 10 out of 10 :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!