Thursday, January 12, 2023

CONTINUING MY COW STORY

 Following on from my post yesterday, where I had mentioned this was from a while ago, (2009 to be precise), my memories came flooding back.  Looking at what I wrote and browsing through photos is cause for a fun discussion afterwards with Gregg, who enjoys looking back at them as much as I do.  The following is what I wrote at the time.

I have to say honestly when I first saw this sign, I raised my eyes and started laughing. We had just spent the last hour driving along a very winding road with incredibly steep drops, and I was a little more nervous than I usually am. No way is a cow going to be on this road I said.  Famous last words because it was seconds later that I saw them.  
But first let me begin my story. We were on holiday traveling along Route 1 in California, a coastal road as you can see. Gorgeous views though I was very surprised at how queasy I felt looking over those sometimes 500-foot drops. It had been several years since I had experienced dizzying heights along a road such as this one.  
The realization struck me as I have gotten older, I am my dear Mother after all. It was a very winding road indeed. Gregg had done most of the driving on this trip, and I was very glad he was behind the wheel. I would not have been comfortable.  A flashback to my mother's white knuckles as she used to grab onto the handle at the roof line on the passenger side.  My mother, bless her, never learned to drive but she sure could jam those invisible pedals on the passenger side.  I wasn't offended, she was like this with my father, and those roads were where you couldn't drive much more than 25 miles-an-hour along the narrow, country roads that we were used to, and oh my goodness, when we actually got onto a main road and went up to 45 m.p.h., poor Mum!  

We obviously couldn’t go too fast here because of the curves.  Imagine our shock when we came around a bend, to find a big black cow right in our path.  I was too surprised to take a photo of that one.  Going as slow as we were, we stopped in good time several feet away. It stood in the center of the road looking at us and did not budge, and as we waited it became apparent that it was not going to budge. We didn’t even think to honk the horn and wouldn’t have because a) we didn't want that big black cow stampeding over our hood, and b) we didn’t want it to run over the cliff. We finally edged around it, not thinking we would see another cow along that road and not one practically kissing our bumper.  We were also thankful we saw no other cars during this experience. 

As far as other cows were concerned, how wrong could we be? We saw more cow signs and crossed over several cattle grids. We then saw another cow making his way down the hill to the road, and another munching on a patch of grass at the edge of the road. Then we spotted yet another, the one on the hump of the hill. We were trying to figure out how it was going to get down because as far as we could see, the hill seemed too steep for any ordinary cow to climb. These were obviously no ordinary cows, they must have had mountain goat DNA.

The pictures don't show the whole story. To see these cows in this particular area was an extraordinary sight.  That patch of grass with a touch of ocean salt must have been very tasty.







40 comments:

  1. GOOD GRIEF!!! How on earth would big lumbering cows manage this? I am astounded! Also, you wouldn't catch me dead on a steep mountain windy road! I had quite enough on the last trip, where I got so frightened that I peed my pants. We live at the foot of skyline Drive by Afton Muntain.I will stay in the valley! You are brave for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cross my mind too Ginny. Not brave at all Ginny :)

      Delete
  2. Definitely cows crossed with mountain goats. I apply the passenger brake too (I am embarrassed about it but I do).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No embarrassment needed, we all are who we are and should not make apologies for it :)

      Delete
  3. Those are some beautiful cows! I have never learnt how to drive and I am not a fan either since I am car sick easily and prefer either taking public transportation or WALK :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are :) Walking is wonderful, and healthy, and I used public transportation for years, a good way of getting around once you know the routes you need to take :)

      Delete
  4. Wow I have driven many mountain passes and seen different animals but never cows.
    Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Swiss cows in the Alps. Perhaps they have a little of the Swiss gene :)

      Delete
  5. I am now fascinated by cows because of you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me happy Roentare, they are a lovely animal :)

      Delete
  6. Those cows were certainly a sight, Denise, and like yourself that sign would have puzzled as well. I wondered if there was a farm nearby as apparently the cows had been wandering along the road often enough for a sign posting. I am with you on not liking rides along winding roads, especially not ones with cliffs on the side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so Dorothy, the farm was probably up one of the narrow, very steep dirt roads we passed by.

      Delete
  7. Hello,
    Hubby and I have driven on that scenic road a few times, I must have missed the cows. Most times I am driving and I do miss seeing a lot, but a cow in the road I wouldn't miss that. Cool sightings and great photos. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, then you knew what I was talking about. These would have been hard not to see . Thank you Eileen, you take care and enjoy your weekend :)

      Delete
  8. They must be accustomed to it. They look quite at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, those cows had a good head for heights :)

      Delete
  9. I love cows and might have sat there for a long time watching it. this is way cool, so happy you shared the memory. bob and i like to talk about old memories, but sadly when we were out and about creating memories we had no digital camera. we had a film minolta but only took a few photos. of course we never saw a cow in the road. we have duck crosssing on our neighborhood walk with Beau

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed Sandra :) digital has done a service to all of us who take many photos, memories just flow. I love duck crossings!

      Delete
  10. I would love seeing the cows of course, but going around blind curve only to "stumble" on one in the middle of the road would still have my heart pumping extra beats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite extraordinary and only too glad we were crawling along because of those winding roads and steep cliffs :)

      Delete
  11. Excuse the typo 'amazing how they get around'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, you should see some of mine :) Auto correct can also give some doozy sentences at times.

      Delete
  12. so odd to see them on these stretches of highway!! i am always so surprised at how little protection cars are provided on these highways. i too become queasy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember waking up once when Gregg told me to take a look where we are. I wish I had stayed asleep, lol!

      Delete
  13. It does seem strange that cows are running around the highway and cliffs. I kind of think of cattle on flat plans. That shows what I know. I couldn't have driven on those curves and cliffs. Scares me seeing the photos. Obviously I love the cattle photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol and it does take a lot of getting used to and personally I don't think I ever have :)

      Delete
  14. I thought you tend to see goats more than cows on mountainous/hilly roads!
    Great post though :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so up to that point :) Thanks Jan and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  15. Those talented climbing cows would be so BORED in Kansas pastures. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, very talented and I bet they would love your Kansas pastures :)

      Delete
  16. Well that's some story. Seems like a very odd place to see cows.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh My! Long California highway with stunning views but, beware of the cows! Love, love it! Thanks for sharing.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Velva, yes definitely beware of the cows, lol! You are very welcome, and glad you enjoyed.

      Delete
  18. My goodness! That is not a safe place for a cow to be.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had some of those same feelings on switchbacks in Utah -- but we never saw cows! That would be a little freaky. Great story, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, I remember some of those roads in Utah. It was a little freaky and thank you Jeanie :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!