Thursday, October 15, 2020

MUTE SWAN

 These are photos I took back in the summer of 2014, when we were in Europe.  Somewhere in Norway I believe, according to my labels.  I wish I had been more precise on the location of this beautiful swan.

It is a Mute Swan, Cygnus olor.  They can be found in North America, Europe, Asia and Africa.  The name 'mute' derives from the Mute Swan being less vocal than other swan species.  You can hear its call if you go to this website.  This large swan has white plumage with an orange bill bordered with black.  It is recognizable by its pronounced black knob on top of its bill.
They lay an average of 5 to 12 eggs per season, and hatch after 36 to 38 days.  Both male and female take turns incubating the eggs, with the male usually standing guard.  
The nest is strongly defended and they have attacked other waterfowl and even people. Blows from their powerful wings can be especially painful and can be dangerous to children especially.  They can be capable of killing or maiming some of the largest predators, so take note about approaching these beauties when nesting.  They are beautiful but formidable, and dangerous when protecting their young.   This of course can apply to every kind of species across the globe.




38 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pictures! We have them around here, they are large birds for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny :) You are so lucky, we rarely see them in our area. In fact, I can't remember the last time.

      Delete
  2. BEautiful, beautiful birds - and who can blame them for protecting their young.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful and what lovely photos of the white swan - we of course have black ones.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret :) I love your black swans. I have seen them in a small seaside town near where I used to live in England. They were a gift to the town. I also saw them in Hawaii at a Buddhist Temple. Both beautiful settings to see these lovely birds. I would love to see them from their natural home in Australia though.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Muito obrigado :) Um abraço e uma boa semana contínua.

      Delete
  5. Hello,Denise

    Great info and photos of the Mute Swan. They are beautiful birds. Take care and stay safe. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Eileen, thank you and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous! I never knew they could be dangerous, they look like the most calm peaceful creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha, they are I'm sure until you go too close to their young :) I expect we would be the same way.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photo, Denise. I saw swans for the first time in Zurich, Switzerland. By the way, I posted some photos of you and Dianne on my blog today, giving tribute to a fine friendship. Nice trip to Washington, DC. I posted photos of the White House and the Capitol, indicating that I have already voted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful! Thank you Gigi, I will be visiting soon :) It was a wonderful meet-up.

      Delete
  8. now that is a beautiful face, love that last shot with the blue water

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, I liked the droplet of water in that shot. A perfect moment in time :)

      Delete
  9. They are beautiful birds. I see so many when we are in the UK, I don't think I have ever seen one here. Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting Diane, I don't get to see them in our general area but if we go further south as we did to North Carolina, we were lucky to see them migrating. An incredible sight! :)

      Delete
  10. So lovely, Denise! Your photos are National Geographic worthy. What a beautiful bird. Hearing about its protectiveness reminds me of a nesting goose. They are quite vicious as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, such a sweet comment :) I agree, geese can be very protective also, as I have found myself. I posted about it once. There were no eggs yet but they were just being protective of their nesting site.

      Delete
  11. Your photographs are amazing.
    A lovely post.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. We saw wild swans in Netherlands and were totally enchanted by their graceful beauty. But WOW! You got some amazing close ups!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful! I don't get to see them around here. Thanks Kay :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!