Friday, October 23, 2020

A SKELETON TAKES THE 'DOG' OUT

I took this photo on our summer road trip in August-September 2013.  You see the most interesting sights while driving on the freeway.  It was busy and nowhere to stop that we could see, but I was satisfied with a fast reaction with my cell phone.  

I know at the time I tried to find information online after we stopped that night, but didn't find anything.  So here we are all these years later and maybe it's because I am a little more computer savvy.  When I decided to share it again I just typed in 'skeleton taking skeletal dinosaur a walk' and several sites popped up, including this site.  It is called Roadside America and I have come across it before in the years since, when looking for info on other roadside attractions.

What I found out was that we were driving by Murdo, South Dakota.  It said you will see the sculpture on the westbound side of I-90, just before exit 170.  Another helpful hint was that there was an easy pull-over before the 1800 Town exit.  Of course, this information comes from years ago and I'm not sure if it is still valid, but if we ever find ourselves out that way again, I will have my camera ready.

The town I found out about dates back to 1880 and according to the site you can best see the man walking his 'dog' at a museum nearby where there are other artifacts.  A short walk into the adjacent field will take us to the sculpture, and you will pass a camel and longhorn sheep.  The camel is there in honor of "Hi Jolly", the US Army Cavalry camel driver who guided the Camel Corps in the deserts of the Southwest.  That's another story and you can go here to read about Hi Jolly.  I never knew there was such a thing as a Camel Corps.  There is a warning not to stop at the side of the freeway as the traffic moves along at 80 miles per hour and even faster.  I remember it being quite busy when we were there.

My thanks to Roadside America website.

There is another website I am thankful for, that tells you about other sights to see on that freeway.  You can see those here by scrolling down and looking below the map on the right, also enlarging the map to see where they are.   

These places are all very kitschy, but fun to see on a long road trip.




36 comments:

  1. I have an icon for Roadside America on my desktop, I love the site. The skeleton walking his pet dinosaur is soo cool!! It looks huge, too. I'm thinking that South Dakota is a place with a lot of dinosaur fossils.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, I would think they would have many fossils in that area :) Roadside America is a great sight.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful thing to see on a road trip. Definitely a conversation starter. Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome EC, I am happy you enjoyed it :)

      Delete
  3. Hello, Denise

    It is a cool road side sight to see. It is a shame they did not have a place to pullover..You did get a great shot with your phone. Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, maybe I just missed it. It was gone before we knew it. You take care also. I hope your weekend was a great one :)

      Delete
  4. I love it, would love to see it up close in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could too Martha, it was quite a surprising sight :)

      Delete
  5. It sure is interesting and I wish I had time to go to the site but the reason that I am not posting on that Snapper that's because I just don't have time I don't have enough time to comment on just the comments that follow for Paws. I have no time for playing and looking at sites it's all I can do to keep up with my daily life right now but I'll try to remember if I ever get to where I can to go look at it. Since I never leave home it'll be the only way I'll ever see them. I enjoyed reading about what you saw and I really love the photo that you grabbed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you're real busy Sandra and thank you for stopping by with this comment. Your plate is more than full right now, I know that :)

      Delete
  6. hi denied, this is so fun!! i see things like this all the time but maybe not as cool!! roadside america, i am going to go have a look!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect you've got quite a few up north Debbie :)

      Delete
  7. what a cool sight, i typed in new jersey, a few i have seen!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super jest ten szkielet z dinozaurem . Ciekawa wyprawa. Miłej niedzieli:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cieszę się, że podobał Ci się mój post. Dziękuję i życzę szczęśliwego dnia :)

      Delete
  9. The things you see on the roadway. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It breaks up a long journey that's for sure :) Thanks Gigi!

      Delete
  10. HI Denise,
    Marvelous to see such a roadside sculpture, I have never seen anything like it before, well done.
    You and yours stay safe.
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, it was a fun sighting. Thank you and you and yours stay safe also :)

      Delete
  11. That's so neat that you found out more about your photo years later, Denise. I need to check out your link to Roadside America. Isn't it wonderful we no longer have to wonder about things we see?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good feeling Martha Ellen. It certainly is, we have such a wealth of information at our finger tips. Thank you so much for stopping by :)

      Delete
  12. What a fun thing to run across. My problem now is remembering what I want to look up. I used to keep a pen and pad of paper and jot down things...whether it was the name of a road, a song, or a something like this...but now that I do all the driving I can't do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, thanks Rose, I used to do that too. Now I record things on my iPAD when we go by them, but usually only when road tripping. Yes, it would be difficult to do that if you are driving.

      Delete
  13. Oh my gosh! My grandson would totally LOVE that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A dinosaur enthusiast in the family? That's great Kay :)

      Delete
  14. Roadside America is a great site, Denise, and so is Atlas Obscura which I also use. I agree that roadside attractions can be difficult to capture in a quick second, but you did well with his one. It's also timely for the season🎃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to look Atlas Obscura up. thanks for the tip Dorothy :)

      Delete
  15. I love finding odd things like this! I've read about the camel corps. Before Jefferson Davis betrayed the United States, he was in charge of establishing a camel corps. However, the camels did not like military discipline, and the military did not understand that these animals need to be treated with kindness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda :) that's a very interesting piece of history I did not know about.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!