Wednesday, May 13, 2020

TOTNES IN SOUTH DEVON - PART 2


We stopped and ate lunch in one of the pubs, The King William IV.  This is where we discovered how much we liked cider.

The four of us thought our meals were excellent.  Our niece ordered a chicken dish...


Our nephew and Gregg ordered a Thai Chicken Curry


I had the Steak and Mushroom Pie cooked with Merlot...


and we shared the Cajun-seasoned onion rings (obviously as these meals were on the menu in 2015, they could have changed several times since).
I am always on the look-out for inspirational signs, and this was on one of the walls in the restaurant.
After lunch we looked inside a few shops.  One was W.H. Smith and hubby grew to love their stationery selections from his two years spent in England.  He purchased a couple of fountain pens this day.  
I had forgotten how hilly it was so we certainly got our exercise that day, with lots of steps up and down between streets.  It was nice to see the familiar and smaller family-style shops instead of the large supermarkets that we are used to.  
We also passed by pretty courtyards on our way back to the car.


We walked over the River Dart bridge.
There were older school children rowing down the river.
It was fun watching them for a while; a school physical exercise class perhaps?  I would have enjoyed that PE class.  A teacher was in the last boat and there was at least one young adult in the others.  A rope tied each boat to the one in front.
I have always thought this river was very pretty.




The bird is a Jackdaw.  I found the following information at this link.  There are a lot of pop-ups on its site, so decided to share the following information about this interesting bird if you don’t want to deal with those. 
"The Jackdaw, also called Daw, (species Corvus monedula), crowlike black bird with gray nape and pearly eyes, of the family Corvidae (q.v. order Passeriformes).  Jackdaws which are 13 inches (33 cm) long, breed in colonies in tree holes, cliffs and tall buildings.  Their flocks fly in formation around the site.  They lay four to six light, greenish blue eggs that are spotted and blotched.  The bird's cry sounds like its name, "chak".  The species ranges from the British Isles to central Asia.  Eastward it is replaced by the white-breasted, white-collared Daurian jackdaw (C. dauuricus).“

Before going back to the cottage we drove to Torquay (one of those funny spellings again as it is pronounced "Torkee").  My niece had heard about the aquarium and we all enjoy those so we were looking forward to it.  However, by this time the clouds had darkened and it was very wet and windy, with huge white caps on the sea.  After almost being blown over trying to walk down to the aquarium, with heavy rain stinging our eyes, we decided it would be better to go another day, when it wasn't raining.  The walk was invigorating but you can only take so much invigorating, eye-stinging rain-walking.


One last stop at the three village shops, which are all joined together.  There was a newsagent, a hair salon and a general store for essentials.  They have been there for as long as I can remember.  My mother and sister visited the hair salon on occasion, and my father bought all the newspapers from the newsagent, and we would  pop into the general store if we needed anything just before a main shopping trip.
  
The man behind the counter of the general store was amused as we all walked into the shop in single file, and asked us to join the conga line.  We also looked sopping wet, though we were sure to dry our feet and tried not to overly drip everywhere.  It was a small shop and not a lot of room, sort of like walking into your front room.  Loved it and the friendly people inside, and it took me right back to when I lived in the village.  

There were waist-high freezer containers in the middle, quite a lot of variety.  Our purchases were cider, two six-pack packs of eggs and bars of chocolate.  The lady thought our purchases were amusing, and asked if that was all we were going to get.  With a smile I told her that I thought we had covered all the necessary food groups (not telling her we had done our main shopping the day before) and she laughed.  These shops are just up the hill from where we were staying, and Gregg enjoyed a walk each morning to get the newspaper, and also any necessary items we might need before we started our day.  We were all in a good mood after our lovely day out, but were exceedingly tired and slept well that night.

Thanks for following along with this old post, and I hope your day is a great one.



33 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos of the town. I don't think I could have managed to climb those hilly streets in my condition. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gigi, I was thinking the same as I looked at these photos :)

      Delete
  2. How beautiful it is there and charming.
    Delicious looking meals and fantastic photos!

    Thank you for sharing Denise 🌷☕

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking us along on this trip, Denise, all from the comfort of my home. I enjoyed the sights and the food too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is a beautiful river, and something i have never seen and never will.. the jackdaw is quite handsome..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many places we will never see ourselves, and one of the reasons I love blogging so much :)

      Delete
  5. Food looks delicious and I like that sign …

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Jan, thank you and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  6. Looking forward to a day that visiting villages like this will be possible again. Loved all the photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to that day also Ellen :) Thank you!

      Delete
  7. Hi Denise,
    A super sight seeing tour of Totnes, upon seeing your lunch, I suddenly became very hungry.
    Stay safe and well,
    John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, so glad you enjoyed it. Come to think of it, I am hungry too ;) You stay safe and well also!

      Delete
  8. A lovely tour, and the food makes me hungry, cider included!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A nice glass of cider on a hot day would be lovely must admit :)

      Delete
  9. What a fun day!! Your pics of the boats are wonderful!! And the food looks delicious! What a beautiful. A beautiful walk!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks and sounds like a wonderful trip.
    I suspect that after all those hills you all slept well - but what a great (and scenic) work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EC, it was a great work out :) And funny thing is, I was enjoying myself much I didn't realize it at the time.

      Delete
  11. I'm always ready for a bit of virtual travel. Loved this day out with all the quaintness of an English village.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Pauline, love my virtual traveling. Always happy when these are enjoyed by my blogging friends :) Thank you!

      Delete
  12. You can't beat a lovely English village. I adore this area, Denise. To me it feels like a step back in time. I imagine that's why I love it so. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you think so Martha Ellen and you are very welcome :) Devon is still very much in my heart and always will be.

      Delete
  13. ooooh, an old post...i was so jealous you were eating out and the food looks so amazing. i can't wait to eat out again!! i love the sign, i am always on the lookout for great signs like that!!

    these older posts are fun to read, especially now while we have to stay at home!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made me smile Debbie, and I can't wait to eat out again also. Glad you liked the post. They will tide us over :)

      Delete
  14. Wonderful travel memories, it’s great to have those now since we’re not making any new ones for a while .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, they certainly are. Agreed, they will keep us going until we can travel again ourselves.

      Delete
  15. Thank you Laurie, I am happy you enjoyed :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i have loved this post...loved reading it, and really really loved the photos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!