Monday, January 20, 2020

MONDAY RECIPE POST - PINEAPPLE AND CHICKEN SKILLET


This is a meal I got off Instagram but forgot to take note by whom.  I am glad I made notes of the recipe as when I went back to ID the person who shared,  I couldn't find them.  There are variations on line, which I found after searching Google, but not this particular recipe, so I want to thank the person who came up with this one and hopefully I will find out who you are eventually.  

The instructions for this recipe reads:

Heat a skillet over medium heat.  

Cut up 1/2 red pepper and slice into strips, the same with 1/2 onion.  

Add some olive oil or avocado oil to the skillet, add the pepper, cook for 3 minutes, add the onion for another minute.

Cut 2 chicken breasts into strips and coat with 1 tablespoon of avocado oil, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon coconut aminos (which I didn't have, not too familiar with anyway and did not use), 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes.  Shake up in a ziploc bag and let it marinate.

Cut up half a pineapple into cubes.  Add the chicken to the skillet, cook for 10 minutes then add the pineapple into the skillet with the onions and peppers, add 1 tablespoon of coconut aminos (if using).  Cook over medium heat until the pineapple is soft, about 5 more minutes.  

Serve with cilantro and lime wedges.  

We enjoyed this meal but added a few things. 

1 teaspoon of pepper flakes instead  of 1/2 teaspoon.  

The pineapple was a wonderful part part of the dish, we both loved that addition.  We actually used a can of pineapple as we had one in the pantry.  

Also in the pantry there was a bottle of sweet chili sauce, which we opened and put a couple of tablespoons on the side of our bowl for dipping (this can be very spicy so use to taste).

The lime wedges gave a nice zip.  

I also thought that green onions instead of a regular onion would add a bit more color to the dish.  

Chef Gregg said he would like to add sweet Thai Basil next time, to the pan as it is cooking.  He thinks the basil and the cilantro would not be too much and we like both, so will give it a try.  

We spooned the finished dish over Jasmine Rice.  

These are guide lines and a record for us for the next time we make this dish.  If you do make it you can obviously add your own ingredients, go vegetarian, add tofu instead of chicken or add shrimp or pork, which is something I am thinking about.  And you can use your favorite veggies and accompaniments.  

This gets better with age.  For our next meal we went Bahn Mi style with the leftovers, and put it on hot dog rolls for a very tasty supper.  It was excellent!


Thanks for looking and bon appetit!










31 comments:

  1. Not for me (I don't eat meat and loathe cooked peppers and cilantro) but I am glad you enjoyed it. Hooray for leftovers too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds so nice. We eat a lot of chicken and this would be a simple and easy (tasty) one to do thanks Denise.
    I was intrigued as to what coconut aminos are and googled it... a lower salt version of soy sauce only its made with aged sap of coconut flowers and salt. Always great to find a new recipe and learn something new. Cheers xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, thank you :) I should have added what coconut aminos were but must have been too late at night :))) Anyhow, I have learned something new thanks to you. Cheers xx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Obrigado, estou feliz que tenha gostado do som desta refeição. Um abraço e uma boa semana continuada para você :)

      Delete
  4. Hello, this recipe sounds delicious. I wish my hubby loved spicy food. I have never heard of coconut aminos. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, thank you! I never used to like spicy food either but have adapted to a milder version. Have a continued good week :)

      Delete
  5. Yum yum. Have a good week, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum.. I always love your Ending Graphics, all of them. this one is adorable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, I enjoy making them when I have the time. I have quite a collection now :)

      Delete
  7. Looks yummy! I love pineapple with chicken!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are such an amazing cook and so creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kay, there are times when I need a lot of variety in my meals :)

      Delete
  9. This looks delicious. I like the idea of sweet Thai basil to pep things up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best, for my own taste. Thanks Buttercup :)

      Delete
  10. Looks great ... I like the second day version (planned-overs!) just as much. There’s a tiny Vietnamese Restaurant in Eugene called Banh Mi... I followed your link to the Wiki page, which I’d never thought to look at before. Whenever we ate there, we wondered what the restaurant name meant (our servers did not have much English). Funny, our guess was soup of some kind, probably because that is what we ordered both times we were there. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always like the leftovers Sallie :) We have been going to this little Vietnamese place for 25 years to get our Banh Mi. We always get the meatball one (Vietnamese style, nothing like what we are used to) and the flavors are amazing. It's a bit far out but every time we have occasion to go to that area, we will always stop. They don't have an eating in area so we have a car picnic. We also love Pho soup but there's another restaurant for that :)

      Delete
  11. I like recipes that I can add my own touch to. I don't think I have ever followed a recipe step by step. Look in the pantry to see what's there. Prepare a nice little surprise for husband.
    I try not to stray from directions too far .... when I have company. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more adventurous than I am, more like my sweet Other Half. He is the adventurous one and I follow a recipe to the letter. But being more adventurous makes for some exciting meals :)

      Delete
  12. Thank you Laurie for the nice compliment Laurie, glad you liked the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your Jasmine rice looks perfectly cooked, and this looks like a healthy and tasty recipe for me to try. I'm a spice girl so I think I'll add even more red pepper flakes for that extra heat. Thanks so much for sharing and Happy Friyay! RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi RO, it is frozen rice and cooked in the microwave for three minutes. Some days I like to take the more convenient route :) The older I get the more I seem to like a little more heat in my food. Happy Friday to you too :)

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. I am happy I posted something you would enjoy. Thanks William :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!