Sunday, November 17, 2019

MONDAY RECIPE POST - SALMON WITH A SWEET POTATO AND A FEW GREENS

Not a recipe really but a very Fall-like meal.  Gregg was away for an overnighter and had left earlier in the day.  I needed milk as I was making chicken and dumplings for his return, a favorite of his and one I shared here last winter and the first time I have made it since then. I decided to pop over to the supermarket to pick up the milk I had forgotten the day before, and came back with a few other additions. The flowers are always a draw for me but I more often than not look, not buy, unless there is something special going on.  However, they had these pretty flowers in a small vase. The mushrooms looked good, and so did the avocados.  I also passed by the fish counter and decided on a filet of salmon for dinner,  and then picked up the milk. 
At home I already had a sweet potato so I scrubbed it and put it in a 450 degree oven for an hour.  20 minutes before it was done I lined a rimmed baking sheet with non-stick foil, placed my salmon in the center.  Next a drizzle of avocado oil, but olive oil can be used also.  I rolled the salmon over a bit to coat both sides and sprinkled a smidgen of salt and pepper on top.  My salmon was cooked on the top shelf and I placed the almost cooked potato underneath on the shelf below.  When the timer went off I put the broiler on for a few minutes just to make the salmon a little more golden.  Plain and simple but delicious and perfect for my taste.  I added a few greens which finished it off nicely.  I know heat may differ with other ovens, and you may have your own favorite way of cooking these things.  This is just a guideline for what works for me.
I'm leaving you with more flowers.  These were also at the supermarket.  I have an "orange you glad it's Fall" theme going on here.  Sorry for the groaner. 

Apologies to the non-seafood people out there.  I know this is the second one in a row.  I was going to make something else but when I saw the salmon, it was in the basket and I was on my way home. 

Thanks for looking and have a great week everyone.



26 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers! They are more appreciated then ever in this freezing weather. I love salmon, and this recipe looks so healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, glad you enjoyed the look of the salmon and the flowers :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Denise, thanks for this lovely post.
    I love how you went out to buy milk and then a few more things found their way into your basket ;D) ... as we all can do!
    Baking the sweet potato whole sounds great, I've never done that - only pieces baked or steamed.
    What pretty flowers! Absolutely a must-have - they're so nice and its fun to treat ourselves now and then. Cheers now xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, very often I go to the store for one or two things and come out with more than I intended :) I rarely cook my sweet potatoes any other way. I didn't have them when I was growing up, and only when I came to the states did I start to enjoy them. Cheers to you too :) xx

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Obrigado, foi muito delicioso! Um abraço e uma boa semana para você também :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Me too Natalia, my favorite fish next to Rainbow Trout :)

      Delete
  5. Hello, the flowers are beautiful. I love sweet potatoes and salmon. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your photos are so beautiful. you take The Best food shots ever. I love sweet potato and this one looks delish

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful flowers and delicious looking food :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your trip to the grocery sounds like mine. I always come home with more than my list records. I was just talking to another blogger about salmon and how delicious it is and here you have it on your post. The flowers are lovely and really do brighten up a dining table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always seems to be the way. Salmon is a very popular fish with a lot of people. Thanks Martha Ellen :)

      Delete
  9. You're such a good cook. Simple and healthy meal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks good. And salmon is very healthful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I’m so impressed with your food photography as well as your cooking! And you can’t have too many seafood recipes (or suggestions ;) ) for me.... we love fish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of you to say so Sallie :) I have been looking at a lot of food blogs on my recipe searches, and am trying to pick up a few tips from those more experienced.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!