Wednesday, January 30, 2019

A DARK-EYED JUNCO WITH LEUCISM

When I shared photos of my other snow birds at this post, I mentioned that an interesting little bird had joined them.  At first I thought it may have been a White Warbler, but now I think I was wrong.


He visited again today with several other Dark-eyed Juncos.  I was able to take photographs this time, and when I studied them on a larger screen, the more I thought he actually looked like a Junco.


  His feathers were definitely different, but in the back of my mind I had heard of a condition, maybe some form of Albinism, but that wasn't quite right. I would be very interested in what other more experienced blogging friends know.  I found the following on this website describing Leucism.  If you would like to visit the previous link in red, you can scroll down to the second paragraph and perhaps you could let me know what you think?  There is a also a lot of other interesting information.


It says, "The outward appearance of leucistic individuals can vary considerably.  "Leucinos" may appear virtually pure white but still possess "normal-colored" eyes and skin; they may possess only a single white feather but otherwise appear normal; or may exhibit partially white plumage anywhere in between these two extremes.  Many older publications refer to this condition as "partial albinism" but the correct term is leucism."

There is another website here with super photos of other birds with this condition. Even if they are very different from their families, I think those differences make them unique and beautiful.  

There were a few other visitors today.  I was happy to see them.

A male Cardinal.  Cardinals seem to be here in every season, but it's lovely to see him in the colder months too, and I often see the female.


A Dark-eyed Junco who perched on top of the bird house..


There were at least half a dozen Junco's with him.


A Tufted Titmouse, another sweet little bird.
I know she is not everyone's favorite, but I do love our Grey Squirrels.  Always full of mischief and if you study them long enough, all with different personalities.
She looks a bit cold doesn't she?
More snow photos of the trees.  I am wondering if I will ever get tired of seeing snow covered branches.  Maybe, but not now.
Stay warm everyone, especially those who are caught up in the middle of this Polar Vortex.  It is 11 degrees fahrenheit where we are, and going to dip down to 4, a heat wave compared to other parts of the US I expect.  I just read that there will be a 75 degrees warm-up by this weekend for some.  How crazy is that?






41 comments:

  1. Your photos are really, really good! I do agree with you that this bird is a Junco with Leucism. And especially since he seems to be hanging out with the other Juncos. You are a really good researcher! I love our squirrels! They are so smart and clever, and can figure out puzzles if there is a food reward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, appreciate the confirmation. Those squirrels are very clever aren't they?

      Delete
  2. Wow, Denise, you have a very interesting fellow there! I've never observed this condition. Thank you for the information on Leucism. I'm not sure what to think of this. We had a cardinal a couple of years ago that had very strange coloring, but not bleached out. Your cardinal photo is outstanding! Stay warm and cozy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen. I didn't really know much about it either but our little friend here renewed my interest.

      Delete
  3. Albino and leucistic birds frequently get a hard time from other birds. I am pleased that this doesn't seem to be the case with your pretty visitor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope not EC but I haven't seen him around lately. Hopefully he has just moved on.

      Delete
  4. Great post and I was looking for your email (could not find it) because I had found a photograph nearly identical of the Leucistic Dark eyed Juno and wonted to show you you were spot on in your ID

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, I have since sent you my e-mail and you were kind enough to send me the photo. Thank you so much, you were very kind to do that :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Muito obrigado e uma boa semana para você também :)

      Delete
  6. I'm one of those people who will be in a heatwave this weekend, but I'd prefer to have the snowiness from your neck of the woods, which is also where my brother lives. I have another blogger friend from Australia who posts about various birds, adn have been fascinated of all the different versions of birds out there. Enjoy seeing the birds in your place too. Hugs...RO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks RO, that sounds very interesting. Hugs back to you too :)

      Delete
  7. Hello, your Junco is pretty. What a neat visitor. I love all your yard birds. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day, have a great weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen and I hope you have a great week :)

      Delete
  8. Cute birds, but looking at the red cardinal is doing a warmer right away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh they are very pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Goes to show, different can be beautiful!!!! :-)

    You got wonderful bird pics. I have never been able to do so.

    Yes, snow covered branches are lovely.......

    ☃ ❄ ❅ ❆ ⛄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It certainly can WoW. Thank you and have a great week :)

      Delete
  10. You may well be right in this being a dark-eyed junco...you have two photos that have the same basic profile, and I think if you superimposed one over they other they would be the same bird...

    Love seeing all your other feathered friends, and like you I like my squirrels. I always threw stuff on the ground for them, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rose, that's very interesting. Glad you've been enjoying my birds and squirrels too :)

      Delete
  11. Great pics. I know nothing about Juncos. We don't have those here in TN. Pretty bird though. Maybe someone will have the answer for you. Loved viewing your pics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i think you are correct about the junco, the information is so interesting!!! you are getting a lot of juncos and you are getting some wonderful pictures with beautiful light!! i am not seeing the juncos this winter, i usually see them when we get snow and we have only had little dustings of snow!!

    your bird captures today are just fabulous, the cardinal is stunning!!

    i like squirrels, they are so fun to watch!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie, it has been interesting finding out about them :)

      Delete
  13. Wonderful photographs of the birds and I like Grey Squirrels :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I'm excited to see that junco! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Denise, never have seen this condition. Thank you for sharing the information on Leucism.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Without a doubt a leucistic Dark-eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis). I see leucistic birds from time to time, especially American Robins, but I have never seen a junco present this condition. Thanks very much for sharing your pictures. A quick way to distinguish leucistic birds from the far rarer albino birds is to check the eye colour. Albino birds will have pink eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found them interesting David, and thank you for the ID tip.

      Delete
  17. The birds are so incredibly cute☺☺

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!