Monday, January 28, 2019

MONDAY RECIPE POST - CHICKEN AND BISQUICK DUMPLINGS


Chicken and Bisquick Dumplings

I don't have a website for this one.  We've all got our own favorite of this recipe, and this is very similar to the one Gregg's mother used to make her family when they were kids. It's a bit of this, and a bit of that, and made to fit our own tastes.

1 sweet yellow onion, diced
4 carrots, diced
3 stalks of celery, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large chicken
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper to taste

Dumplings:

2 cups Bisquick Baking Mix
2/3 cup of milk

Method:

Take chicken out of the refrigerator, remove plastic wrapping and the bag inside the cavity.  Put chicken into a large pot.

Add the onions, carrots, celery, minced garlic, basil, thyme, and salt and pepper to taste.

Cover with water and cook on stovetop starting at medium-high (I have an electric stove and put it on 7).  When it comes to a boil, turn the heat down to medium (4 on my electric stove).  It will take 45 minutes to an hour.  Keep covered. 

At this point you can prepare the dumplings.  Put the Bisquick baking mix into a large bowl, add the milk and combine until a soft dough forms.  Don't over mix or your dumplings may turn out a bit tough.  Cover and refrigerate.

When chicken and veggies are cooked, take the chicken out of the pot, making sure no liquid is left in the cavity.  If you have a deep strainer insert inside your pot, it would make it a lot easier.  But if like me you don't, I hold it very carefully over the pot at a slight angle, using two very large strainer spoons to hold it securely.  I let the liquid drain back into the pot.  It is a little tricky but as you can guess, this liquid is boiling hot so you don't want it dropping back in, or have hot broth cascading out of the chicken when you transfer it from pot to plate.  You should be able to now lift the chicken from the pan and place on a plate large enough to hold the whole chicken.

Once cool enough to touch  take the meat off the bones and cut into bite-size pieces.  Put the meat back into the pot and discard the bones.  Turn the heat back up to a slow boil.  

Time to take the dumpling mixture out of the fridge.  Put large spoonfuls of dough onto the broth, repeating the process until you have used it all up.  Again, please do this carefully as you don't want to splash.  Cover tightly, turn down the heat to 4 and cook for 20 minutes.  Don't be tempted to lift the cover.  

My Mother-in-law told me years ago that interrupting during cooking would make the dumplings tough.  

To serve up, place a dumpling in the middle of your bowl, pour chicken, veggies and broth over the top.  Leave it about 20 minutes to cool before you sit down, and enjoy!




Gregg made most of this meal.  I read the directions and coached him when he had a question.  It is the first time he has made his mother's Chicken and Dumplings.  I told him once again this is another reason his mother would be proud of him.  We are still enjoying her recipe after all these years, and now her son is making it.  He said I am a good coach, but I told him he is a great chef, and we have a lot of fun making our meals together these days.

Added note: 1-29-19

After reading a couple of your comments, I should have realized that Bisquick is not a staple overseas.  I found it in Germany once in a section with other American products and was delighted to be able to make family some pancakes, but not sure if that was a one time thing.  It's basically flour with three other additions.  I found this copycat recipe here.

Homemade Bisquick Recipe

3 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tablespoon salt
8 tablespoons butter, cold and cubed

In the bowl of a standing mixer, add flour, baking powder and salt.

Add the cold, cubed butter and using the paddle attachment, mix the ingredients together on low, until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.

Alternatively, you can combine the ingredients using a pastry blender, two forks or your fingers.

Store the baking mix in the fridge or the freezer for up to 3 months.


Using the above homemade mixture, you can also make the recipes below.  I would like to thank Tiffany, host of Don't Waste The Crumbs, for these great recipes.  I will be revisiting to see what other recipes I can make.

Classic Biscuits Made with Homemade Bisquick:

1-1/2 cups homemade Bisquick
1/2 cup milk

Combine the ingredients together until a soft dough forms.  Knead 10 times.  Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness and cut into circles using whatever cutter you have handy.  (A cup turned upside down could be used also.)  Bake for 7 to 9 minutes at 450 degrees F.  

Classic Pancakes made with homemade Bisquick

2 cups homemade Bisquick
2 eggs
1 cup milk

Stir together milk and eggs until well blended.  Add the homemade Bisquick mix and stir until just combined.  Pour 1/4 cup of the batter onto a hot griddle or large frying pan.  Cook until the pancakes start to bubble and edges are slightly dry.  Flip and cook until golden.

Classic Waffles made with homemade Bisquick

2 cups homemade Bisquick
1-1/3 cups milk
1 egg
2 tablespoons of melted butter (optional)

Preheat the waffle iron and coat with melted butter if using.  Stir milk and eggs together until well blended.  Add homemade Bisquick and stir until just combined.  Pour a small amount of batter onto the waffle iron and cook according to manufacturer directions.

~~~~~~~


At 4.35 p.m. (1-29-19)  it is snowing again, a lovely fluffy type of snow coming down quite heavily. I don't think it will be as much as the last time, maybe.  Those snow flakes are huge!  It is supposed to stop at 7.00 p.m. tonight.  I saw the junco's visiting and as there were slim pickings, I rushed out before it got too bad and filled the bird feeders up, and sprinkled some on the rails.  I haven't seen them since but the squirrel is out there.





Happy cooking everyone, stay warm if you are in the cooler climes, and cool if you are in the more tropical ones.




39 comments:

  1. I don't think we have Bisquick Baking mix. Is it used for anything other than dumplings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is used for lots of things EC, pancakes to name one. I will have to add a copycat recipe onto this for our overseas friends :)

      Delete
    2. I found a copycat recipe for those who aren't able to get Bisquick :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did Ginny :)

      Delete
  3. it is good to share mea cooking and that looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's no good being on a diet in your house, Denise. I haven't heard of Bisquick Baking Mix but will make enquiries here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am learning a lot about portion control Valerie, but yes at times it can be very hard not to go for seconds.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Estou feliz que você pense assim. Desejando-lhe uma boa semana também :)

      Delete
  6. Hello, this looks like a delicious recipe. I am trying a gluten free diet right now, so no biscuits for me. Have a happy day and a great new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen and the same to you. You can actually get a gluten-free Bisquick, I have just checked on line as I seem to remember seeing it in the store.

      Delete
  7. I must remember to get a new package of Gluten Free Bisquick mix. And make chicken and dumplings, with it.

    We use GF Bisquick to make Impossible Pies and my husband loves them. Even though he does not have to eat G/F.

    If I remember, way back when, one cooked dumplings a set time, uncovered, and then a set time, covered. Guess that has changed. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those impossible pies are excellent. You've sown the seed as I haven't made one in a long time. I'm glad you mentioned the gluten-free as Eileen mentioned she is on a gluten-free diet and this confirms what I said. Thanks WoW, I didn't want to give out any wrong info :) I remember cooking dumplings the way you describe, but after the advice from m-in-l I always made it the way she cooked for her family.

      Delete
  8. dumpling is one of my favorite foods. yummy
    have a great day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them too. I also made a beef stew with dumplings a couple of months back. When I was growing up that was the only way mum would make them, for beef stew. I think it was more traditionally a British thing if memory serves correctly.

      Delete
  9. Winter GOOD! Nice you are working together in the kitchen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good :) Thanks Cloudia, it's a fun hobby we are now sharing.

      Delete
  10. this looks comforting and delicious, love soup and love dumplings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, we seem to be lots of soup in the wintertime.

      Delete
  11. Love the mix of chicken and vegetables :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great combination isn't it Jan :) All the best to you too.

      Delete
  12. That's wonderful your husband cooks! Those chicken and dumplings remind me of my Mama's! That's a wonderful dish for the cold weather that's coming our way. Stay warm and cozy in the days ahead. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only since retirement Martha Ellen. He wanted me to make several Thai dishes and I remember me saying well, I'd be happy to do that but I'd like a little help cutting up. Then we ordered Blue Apron and he really got into it and now enjoys cooking immensely, especially when the food is yummy ;) I guess it is snowing your way too now so I'll wish you the same :) I have a nice big throw-rug on around me so feel very toasty right now :)

      Delete
  13. Oh yeah, that so reminds me of my childhood ... and of my kids’ childhood ... a yummy meal (almost the same) I’ve kind of forgotten about! Thanks for the reminder, it’s even cool enough here to enjoy winter meals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally, it's a classic dish. We did not know about Chicken and Dumplings in my childhood, I only found it when I got married and Gregg's mom cooked it for us.

      Delete
  14. We have Bisquick in the pantry and a chicken in the freezer, so this will be a good recipe to try Denise. I was going to use the chicken for soup and still can with dumplings added. Kudos to Chef Gregg and his sous chef.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks so delicious for a cold day like today. I wonder if I could half the recipe? A whole chicken is quite a lot for me now that I only cook for one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably could but leftovers are great. They seem to be even better the next day, and the dumplings but prefer those made from scratch each time I dish it up.

      Delete
  16. It sounds delicious.

    The squirrel is taking full advantage while he or she can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks William, glad you think so. I certainly can't blame the squirrel for eating while he/she can, especially in this weather. I will be putting more out in the morning :)

      Delete
  17. I should make a note to myself to come read one of your food posts first thing of the morn...I am always starved when I get done reading them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uh-oh! ;) Well Rose, I'm kind of like that myself right now.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!