Monday, June 26, 2017

MONDAY FOOD POST and the FIG AND OLIVE IN WASHINGTON DC


No recipe today but a restaurant we went to last
week called The Fig and Olive.  It was in a plaza above the underground parking lot we had found when in Washington DC.  We had already been to the convention center - see this post if you missed it - and were walking back to our car.  


We decided to have a late breakfast somewhere special to celebrate the Father's Day weekend, and found this place while walking to the elevator, which would take us down to our car.  The Plaza is close to Chinatown.  


The restaurant's description here reads: 

"Fig and Olive is about passion for the best olive oils, flavors and cuisine from the Riviera and Coastal regions of the South of France, Italy and Spain.  Our large variety of extra virgin olive oils was selected to be paired with each dish and to be offered for tasting at the beginning of each meal.

With locations in Los Angeles, New York and now DC, Fig and Olive brings the best of the Riviera to your table."


We weren't exactly dressed for this restaurant we thought.  I was wearing jeans and Gregg shorts.  However, when we looked through the window, there were people inside with similar clothing.  Throwing caution to the winds, in we went.  People seem to be dressing more casually these days.  No doubt the evening would bring in those who were more dressed up.


We decided on brunch.  The waiter, who was a very charming chap, asked us if we would like to try bread with a selection of olive oil.  He told us they were from Spain. We dipped our rosemary bread into each dish of olive oil and it was excellent.  


It was a hard choice ordering but Gregg opted for the omelette and....


I had the French Toast.


After discussing who was going to order a cocktail, Gregg said I should have one as he was driving.  We went back and forth and I told him he should have a cocktail and I could drive, that it was after all Father's Day but he said no, to go ahead and order what I wanted, he was adamant. Knowing his mind was made up I asked for a Bellini.  It was a drink I had never had before and was curious.  I was not dissappointed as it was refreshing and delicious.


The following you will find the drinks listed....


and the food.  There were more items but I only took photos of these that we were interested in.  The truth is I forgot my reading glasses at home and instead of asking Gregg to read the menu to me, I took photos so that I could magnify the menu on my phone.  It is not the first time I have forgotten my glasses.  I have done this several times before.


For special occasions and from our experience, I have no hesitation recommending this restaurant.  It is a very convenient location with the underground parking lot below the Plaza.  We had a very nice time and it was a lovely ending to a very special day in Washington DC.  


29 comments:

  1. This place looks marvelous!! Almost worth the three hour trip. It looks so light and airy, with gorgeous decor. And your plates look so yummy! The bar is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the decor and ambiance, Denise! And I would have ordered the omelet! The presentations are very attractive and creative. And as far as how you were dressed, most people go for a casual and clean look these days. I see fewer and fewer people "dressed up" for a night of dining. I am sure they do in the very expensive and fancy hotels, but really, I think you and Gregg look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed it Linda, and I will probably order the omelet if we ever find ourselves here again. We have a visitor coming in July and I thought it would be a nice place to take him as I am sure he will want to visit the city. I appreciate your comments on how Gregg and I were dressed. I know people who go to work in smart casual these days and not the suits they were required to wear in Gregg’s day. Maybe it’s okay to relax a little, especially on hot days during the height of summer :)

      Delete
  3. This type of restaurant is very common in Europe. It provids good quality products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember lovely restaurants over there and yes it did remind me of them.

      Delete
  4. I feel kind of hungry after reading this, Denise. It looks a lovely place though, you captured the flavour of the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerie, I feel lind of hungry too seeing this again :)

      Delete
  5. Hi Denise, it looks a very charming restaurant and your food choices looked delicious. Interesting to know about the olive oil tasting - I've heard of it but haven't ever experienced it. Your Bellini sounds lovely too. Cheers now and thanks for your post :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, glad you enjoyed its look and you are very welcome :)

      Delete
  6. Hello, Denise! The Fig and Olive looks like a pretty place. I would like the bread and olive oil for dipping. The breakfast look yummy, especially the French toast. Thanks for sharing. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the way it looks, it is so beautiful and the chairs and tables by the wall of interesting objects are wonderful. I would love to try the bread and oil and sit in one of those chairs and eat either one of your plates...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, those chairs were wonderful. So comfy and just like sitting in one from home. Good food helps too :)

      Delete
  8. This looked like a delightful place to dine, Denise. I really enjoyed seeing you and Gregg and your food choices. And, the dialog exchange about the drinks was fun to read as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good to try something very different from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. People do seem to be dressing more casually. New social cues are if you are clean, clothes fit nicely, and you don't seem as if you just walked out of a farm job. There are 5 for a dollar T shirts, and hundred dollar t-shirts. We all more or less look the same, but those in the 'know' pick up clues as to social class, etc...Nice airy place. Thanks for including us

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd definitely like to visit if I was near ...
    Loved all of your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Denise and what a wonderful place to dine, like the look of your french toast, mind Greggs omelette looks very inviting, spoilt for choice so probably go for both, it was Fathers day. All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, both sounds great :) All the best to you too.

      Delete
  13. Wow that looks my sort of place, I would be very happy to eat there. The food looks mouth watering. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. The food at the restaurant looks excellent. But, I am allergic to olive oil and try to avoid it as much as possible. 1 tablespoon is okay, but not 1/4 cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I have ever known anyone who is allergic to olive oil.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!