Saturday, April 29, 2017

2O17 CROSS-COUNTRY ROAD TRIP - THURSDAY, APRIL 18TH, 2017

April 18th, 2017 - Still in Santa Fe, New Mexico


We left our room just before nine and ate breakfast at the hotel.  I tried a healthier version and had an omelette made with egg whites, filled with a mixture of chopped spinach and other veggies, turkey sausage patties, a kebab of fruit; a piece of orange, two kinds of melon and a strawberry, two large slices of wheat bread which came with two dabs of butter.  I still couldn't finish everything and ate about half.  



Gregg enjoyed 2 slices of toasted white bread, the same kebab of fruit, sausage links, two eggs over easy, and home fries.  



There was a small garden to look at and right near our window....



 a teepee.  



There was also an American Indian statue that I would like to investigate further before we leave. 


The last time we were in Santa Fe four years ago, we loved Museum Hill. Today we revisited our favorite part.  There were pieces I remembered outside and there were also pieces new to me, like this......


Beautiful!  "Homeward Bound", 1989, bronze, edition of six.  Allan Houser (Haozous), Warm Springs Chiricahua Apache, 1914-1994.


This is my favorite statue in the museum grounds. 


This is called "The Apache Mountain Spirit Dancer", sculpture by Craig Dan Goseyun.  Plaza at Museum of Indian Arts and Culture, Santa Fe, New Mexico.  It towers above me.  I remember the first time I ever saw it.  I just fell in love with this extraordinary sculpture.


It is hard to show you all the colors or detail.  The sun was overhead and it was hard to capture it fully.





 I was very interested to see this particular sculpture.  I seem to remember an identical one at the Museum for the American Indian in Washington DC.  


It is called "As Long As The Water Flows", 1988.  Bronze, edition of eight.  Another by Allan Houser.
  


This is another statue I found amazing. 



  She is entitled Morning Prayer - Jemez Pueblo by Estella Loretto.



We went inside one of the museums and had a wonderful walk around.  Unfortunately I could not take photos inside but I had so much fun recording the fabulous sculptures outside, I didn't mind but a smidgen.  We watched a movie of three people, Native Americans, two gentlemen and a lady.  They were extremely interesting telling us about their childhood.  There were others but we wanted to see as much as we could of so many things that day.  I could have stayed another hour or so listening to others stories, and looking at all those incredible artifacts but it was time to move on. 

  We bought a book at the museum gift shop, showing the history of the area and the tribes who lived here.  We will be enjoying that book for years to come. 

From there we went across the road to the botanical garden.  But I think I downloaded so many photos in my previous post, I will leave that until my next one and keep this shorter.



50 comments:

  1. Hello, Denise! Your breakfast looks delicious. I love all the statues and sculptures, they are just beautiful. Thanks for sharing your trip! Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Eileen, thank you and the same to you:)

      Delete
  2. I liked the looks of your delicious omelet. Also, the statues are truly awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen such an awesome breakfast from a HOTEL! They are usually not the greatest. But yours looks delicious. I love the woman and her sheep! I have never seen a female sheep herder, but it seems so much more natural than a man doing it. The Spirit dancer is magnificent and intricate. And big! The Morning Prayer is so lifelike and pretty. Simple and beautiful. I LOVED seeing these, and am so much enjoying your trip! I never know what will come next, so I always have an interesting surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny :) I am so happy you are enjoying our travel journal. I have many more to come.

      Delete
  4. I like all the statues and your favorite is beautiful.. both breakfast look good to me

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise, both of the breakfast dishes look delicious! And I also love the statue with the lamb. I really like the tepee! I love that you share your travels, and it is always a plus to see your smiling face. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Denise and you are still travelling and what a super place to travel to and visit, the Bronze sculptures are fabulous, love Homeward Bound with the native American lady carrying the lamb over the bridge following the Ewes with the dogs bringing up the rear. Keep up the travelling, all the best, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John, she was new to me and one of my favorites. Would love to see the process of these statutes being created. All the best to you too, Denise

      Delete
  7. What an incredible trip! I loved the Apache and Pueblo statues. I've always wanted to go to Santa Fe and we never have. I have to try to get there some time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marie, so glad you liked everything I shared. I hope you get to Santa Fe one day.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful statues and I love he one with the sheep, amazing. That breakfast looks very yummy :-) Drive safely Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very very cool. Santa Fe is such a cool town. My parents lived right outside Santa Fe near Tesuque Pueblo when I was born. Dad called the hospitals in Santa Fe and Espanola and so I was born in Espanola because it was cheaper.
    Santa Fe has so many things to see and do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very interesting Yogi, great area for someone to grow up in. We're looking forward to going back and seeing the things we missed.

      Delete
  10. What an incredible place. Thank you. Breakfast looks pretty good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We thoroughly enjoyed it all, that's for sure :)

      Delete
  11. My wife and I spent our honeymoon in Santa Fe twenty years ago, there is a lot to see and do there, it appears you are having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be a very cool place to spend a honey moon Jimmy. We are having a great time, thank you :)

      Delete
  12. Looks like a great day of travel starting with delicious food!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The sculptures are amazing...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't been away yet I see I have missed your last post as well as this one. Hmmm! Both are great, educational as well as interesting. Thanks, Denise. Off to eat something, pictures of your breakfasts are getting to me... smiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Valerie, I'm glad you find them interesting, including those breakfasts :)

      Delete
  15. Nice to "see" you. Read your blog for some time but this is my first time see you :) have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Small Kucing, you have a nice day also.

      Delete
  16. We just loved Santa Fe....was a city we always meant to go back to, but never did. Still wonderful memories and I enjoyed revisiting some of them with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, so nice to know you have seen Santa Fe. I'm happy you enjoyed revisiting through my post.

      Delete
  17. I love starting the day with spinach in my omelette!
    Those sculptures look amazing.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm enjoying this trip, the artwork is wonderful.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. What marvelous sculptures! Thanks for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Linda, happy you enjoyed them.

      Delete
  20. Oh yummy....that looks great! So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pam, it was very yummy tasting too.

      Delete
  21. Your breakfast photos totally got me hungry. It looks so yummy. You saw so many places in New Mexico that we missed seeing. Someday.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) There were a lot of places we missed, on the list for next time :-)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!