Monday, August 22, 2016

MONDAY RECIPE POST - PALEO OVEN-BAKED RIBS WITH CREAMY BLT PASTA SALAD


Two recipes today.  I made them back on the 4th of July when a dear friend visited for the weekend. Gregg was away and she came over to keep me company.  We had a super time talking non-stop and had fun watching the 4th of July Celebration on the Capitol grounds in Washington D.C.  We were both happy for those crowds who stuck it out with the weather being so iffy, but equally happy to be watching in comfort at home. The rain finally stopped and people certainly deserved the great show they had.  Over the weekend my friend and I watched several British cops and robbers shows on Netflix.  Before we knew it the weekend was over and it was time for her to go home.


Paleo Oven Baked Ribs by Jessica DeMay.  You can see her recipe here.

1 tablespoon coconut sugar (I used 1 tablespoon of brown sugar)
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon smoked paprika (I used what I already had.  It wasn't smoked)
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1-1/2 teaspoon Real Salt (I used regular Kosha Salt, again what I had in stock)
1 rack of baby back ribs

Preheat oven to 275 degrees F. and line a sheet try with parchment paper (I used a non-stick foil).

In a small bowl combine sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, paprika, black pepper, cayenne pepper and salt. Mix well.

Dry the ribs off and peel membrane off the back if necessary.  Rub down with the dry rub mixture on both sides, rubbing it in thoroughly.  In Jessica's recipe she said you could prepare it the day before but the flavor was still there even if there wasn't any marinating time.  That's true as I didn't do this and it was very flavorful.

Place in your baking pan for 3 hours.

You can grill on the barbecue to give it a charred look, but again I didn't do this and it looked fine to me.  However, if you want the charred look you can do this in the oven on broil for three minutes on each side.




Creamy BLT (Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato) Pasta Salad by Margaret Anne

You can find the original recipe here

1 (1 lb.) box bowtie noodles, cooked to package directions
1 cup grape tomatoes, cut in half 
3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 head romaine lettuce, thinly sliced
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon spicy mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

When you have drained the cooked noodles, rinse under cool water and drain again well.

In a large bowl combine pasta, bacon, lettuce and tomatoes.  Stir.

In a small bowl, combine sugar, vinegar, mayonnaise, sour cream, mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk until smooth.

Pour dressing over salad and toss until evenly coated.  

Serve and enjoy!

Margaret suggests that if you are making this ahead of time, add the crumbled bacon just before serving so that it will stay crispy.  



12 comments:

  1. Lovely presentations, Denise! I would love the ribs with a green salad! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ribs and the colour combination of this dish is very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yum on that salad, I will be trying this one. I love pasta, so does bob. the ribs look so good I think I can smell them

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, Denise! Both the ribs and salad looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipes. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both recipes look delicious --especially that pasta... YUM.... Thanks!!!!

    George and I are SO enjoying catching up with all of the seasons/episodes of Downton Abbey.. What a fantastic show.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a wonderful summer meal, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your photo. The recipe for the pasta looks easy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Denise, looks delicious, but perhaps a bit much for me to take out on one of my birding trips. Regards John

    ReplyDelete
  9. A very colourful dish ... thanks for sharing

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!