Sunday, October 11, 2026

ODDS AND BODS FOR SUNDAY, OCTOBER 11TH, 2026


Good morning, may your day be gentle, cozy and full of little blessings. First sign:
a kinder, brighter, happier world. Second sign: kind people, brighter days.


Starting off with a poem.

That was a perfect house, whether you like food or story-telling or singing,
or just sitting and thinking best, or a pleasant mixture of them all. Merely to
be there was a cure for weariness, fear and sadness - J. R. R. Tolkien


Location has changed for my imaginary house, right on the river this time but there are trees all around changing into their finery. The swans will be flying south soon, have probably started their journey and come to think of it, they may already be there.

I came across this on Pinterest  It’s called a Patchwork Leaf Freshie infused with different scents to make everything smell nice. They are for sale at this website.  It would be easy for a crafter to make their own perhaps? I love its design and could see it as a placemat for this time of the year.


Also, a lovely table runner. 

Pretty Art!


And I love tree art. I love trees!


“You know, I think there ought to be a big old tree right there. And let’s give him a friend. Everybody needs a friend.” - Bob Ross


“This oak tree and me, we are made of the same stuff.” - Charles Sagan


“Together we can preserve the forest, securing this immense treasure for the future of all these our children." - Chico Mendes


Nemeton (NEH-meh-ton) - an ancient Celtic word for a
sacred woodland or forest clearing. A place where people
gathered beneath the trees, believing that the natural world
was one of our greatest teachers, and that the forest was a
place of wisdom and quiet reflection.

Two words for you today.

Gallimaufry: (gal-uh-maw-free) - Noun - a confused jumble, medley, or mishmash of different
things or people that do not seem to fit together. Example: The antique shop was a gallimaufry
of strange items, ranging from vintage clocks to broken toys.



Lovely art above and below.


And...


I came across this great website how to teach and encourage little ones to learn in a fun way.


It looks like a great website...  


if you have similar age children and grandchildren, and this would be great for teachers of course.



Only one recipe today. Dessert? I would definitely like to try making this sometime. I grew up on my mother's bread pudding.

The Biltmore’s Bread Pudding - Preparation: 15 minutes - Bake: 40 minutes
This comforting yet special dessert comes from the Inn on Biltmore Estate in
Biltmore, North Carolina - 8 cups day old bread - 9 eggs - 2-1/4 cups milk 
1-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream - 1 cup sugar - 3/4 cups butter, melted 
3 teaspoons vanilla extract - 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon. Caramel 
Sauce: 1 cup sugar - 1/4 water - 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 2 tablespoons butter
1 cup heavy whipping cream.  Place bread in greased 13-inch x 9-inch x 2-inch 
baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, cream, sugar, butter, vanilla 
and cinnamon. Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 40-45 Minutes, or until 
a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes 
before cutting. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the sugar, water and 
lemon juice to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook until sugar is dissolved
and mixture turns a golden amber color. Stir in butter until melted. Add cream. 
Remove from the heat. Serve with bread pudding. Yield: 12 servings


Now a few wise words.


Lessons from rivers: keep moving even when the path curves - you don't have to rush
to arrive - flow around what resists you - let go, as often as needed - softness can 
carve its own way - trust the direction you're unfolding into. 



Things I learned from Nature: the ocean never rushes the tide - wildflowers bloom where
 they can - Trees let go when it's time - even the longest storms pass - rest is part of
every season - growth isn't always visible - the sky changes, and remains the sky - there is 
beauty in returning to familiar places - some things unfold in their own time.


The mountain is you - the fear at the bottom - the doubt halfway up - the voice
that says you cannot - the foot that moves anyway - the strength you meet
on the way - the view waiting at the end - bottom to top - the mountain is you.


"I wish I wasn't so sensitive" said the fox. "I think you should start seeing
your sensitivity as a gift and not something you should try and fix. Not
everyone feels as deeply as you do and that is what makes you so 
wonderful". Said the bee.



Autumn lets go - winter endures - spring blooms - summer lives - nature makes 
it easy - humans take a lifetime to learn all four.

You are kinder than you had to be, to people who weren't that careful with you.
And that is okay.

Kindness to others is also being kind to yourself, in my humble opinion. And if you expect nothing in return you will never be disappointed. Kindness is its own reward.

Ode to Myself: Dear Self, I celebrate you, not because you are perfect,
but because you keep going, even when life feels difficult. You have
faced mistakes, yet you choose to learn. You have felt afraid, yet you
still moved forward. There are days you doubt yourself, and days you
smile with confidence. Every moment has helped you grow into the
person you are today. Keep believing in your dreams. Keep being
kind to yourself. No matter what tomorrow brings, never forget your
worth. I am grateful for who I am, for every lesson and every step.
This is my journey, and I am proud to you it mine.


Never forget the little bird who took a leap and spread her wings on the way down, who always sings "You are worthy and you are loved."


Time to call it a day. Looks like the gang have arrived and are all tucked up for the night.




















(With thanks to Pinterest for today’s inspiration)



3 comments:

  1. These are indeed good to read, Denise and I do love that table runner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, dear Denise, you’ve once again gathered wonderful images, sayings, quotes, and words of wisdom in your post!
    Feeling wonderful and strong for the day, I now walk through you and wish you a happy Sunday! Hugs, Elke

    ReplyDelete
  3. So much to love here! The first one looks like a Hobbit House. I love the leaf craft and table runner.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I will not be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!