Wednesday, September 30, 2026

THE HOUSE FINCHES PLUS...

Please turn the noise off if it disturbs you. The birds are very noisy on this one, but hopefully entertaining. There is also a lot of background noise. That can be anything from planes flying overhead (depending on which way the wind is blowing as our major airport is only 30 minutes away), to yard work being done in other gardens, to dogs barking. At least I know the sound works!


The leaves are starting to fall like rain and I will be getting out there tomorrow, to sweep them up off the deck, and also to refresh the water (full of leaves) and a general clean up. Amazed at how the weeds have grown, amazed that this always takes me by surprise but things should be slowing down now.

We had a very nice run out around noon and had our weekly fast-food lunch. I tried something new on the menu, a waffle and chicken sandwich. It looked nothing like its picture, was smaller than my usual sandwich, which is what I was going for. The waffle was limp and the chicken was fried. I never order fried chicken normally but that lovely photo pulled me into its web. We have never had bad food there, but they must have been having an off day and everyone's entitled to one of those. I ended up leaving most of it. Won’t try that again! Had my coffee treat on the way home. I will try that again! I usually stick to my one cup of black coffee first thing in the morning at home, and green tea for the rest of the day. 


We were driving by a business and I asked Gregg if he would pull into the parking lot as I saw these. Say hello to Hecate and Vespera (I like to name things as you may or may not know). Halloween decorations have been popping up early since the beginning of September. I don't remember them ever being this early. I don't decorate myself, but I enjoy seeing what others do.


The clouds were full of rain but fortunately it held off while we were out. It rained the previous night. The ridge line you can see in the distance (above) is the Shenandoah. Below are tops of the buildings from one of our shopping areas.


New fencing going up next to one home area a mile or so down the road. Those boards are twice as high as the ones they are building across the street. 


When we got home we spent it quietly. We had a busy one yesterday as we got together with our son and daughter-in-law at Chateau de Chantilly Cafe. They introduced us to this place originally and it was a pleasure to be with them here. I'll have photos on another post sometime.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope your day is a great one.









28 comments:

  1. They came, chirped, and bathed—so sweet. Autumn is here and the cloud photos are amazing, I love that kind of thing, it's a good thing it didn't rain. It’s a good thing it didn’t rain.
    It’s a shame your sandwich didn’t taste good, but otherwise it was a lovely day. The Halloween dolls are great—I don’t decorate for Halloween either, just something with an autumn theme.
    Good luck clearing up the leaves! Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elke, it was a lovely day. I am happy you enjoyed the chirping birds. They certainly were very active that day :) There are more leaves to sweep up today. Hugs, Denise

      Delete
  2. What a pleasant bird video! The clouds are so dramatic and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liebe Denis...Vögel und ihr Gesang stören mich nie, aber alles andere...über mir die Nachbarin...es gibt keinen Frieden...Krach wann immer sie will :((( traurig, aber wahr...Kuss, Andreja!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liebe Andreja, es tut mir leid, dass deine Nachbarn so laut sind. Das muss sehr frustrierend für dich sein :) Herzliche Grüße, Denise

      Delete
  4. You are talking about Chik-Fil-A!! NO, they were not having an off day!! I was really looking forward to it, and everyone working there was saying how awesome it is. I hated it, and only had a few bites. The waffles were limp. They were not maple flavored, but they had likely just been soaked in maple syrup. The entire sandwich was icky. I love hearing the Finches wings flutter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It amused me you knew where I had been Ginny. We seem to go to the same places :) We have a feeling that won’t be on the menu for too long, what say you? Glad you enjoyed the birds.

      Delete
  5. The birds are so sweet. I don't like the idea of having to sweep up leaves. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the concern Diane, I will be very careful. You take care too :)

      Delete
  6. A nice outing then Denise expect for the food, photos of food certainly don't look like the food that is served to us, only on an odd occasion. I love the video of the birds, and they were having such great fun. The sky/cloud photos are good, always clouds are interesting and the Halloween photo is nice, not much talk about Halloween down here at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Margaret, thank you :) happy you enjoyed my post. Halloween is still very popular over here.

      Delete
  7. Waffle and chicken somehow don’t seem to go together, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Around all of the audio, did I hear a teeny tiny Tweety Bird toot at the bird bath? Just had to be obnoxious. Need sleep or coffee. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those birds are having a lot of fun in that birdbath. Too bad about the wafle sandwich. I've never even wanted to try them. I'm a bread person and never found the waffle substitute very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. /it was pleasant to see and hear the birds early in my morning.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was fun to see and hear those chirpers enjoying the bird bath! That sky is amazing!! Enjoy the last day of September!! FYI: I won't be around for a week or so. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello,
    I enjoy the sounds of the birds! Your sky images are awesome. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good summary of everybody has a bad day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What gorgeous clouds....I would love to have some full of rain for here we are still in moderate drought.
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hecate and Vespera are such fitting names for those two, and I'm glad you stopped to say hello. The finches splashing away were a lovely way to end my day!
    https://canalsandcitrus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I enjoyed the video.
    Hecate and Vespera are great names.
    Lovely photographs of the cloud.

    Nice that you spent time with your son and daughter-in-law yesterday.

    Enjoy this last day of September.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. That first cloud picture is beautiful. Love the witches too. I love noisy birds. So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your weather sounds like ours, and I also planned to get out tomorrow to do some clean up. Did you get a lot of wind from the Nor'easter? And I also had a chicken and waffles sandwich for lunch today. Mine was pretty good though. Sorry yours wasn't worth a repeat. And Hecate and Vespera are quite cool.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Uy que lindo video. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I will not be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!