and too early for me but I've been seeing a lot of Halloween and Christmas items for sale lately. Today I am sharing the Jack O'Lanterns and Ghosts on display outside one of our supermarkets.
I am one of the baa-humbugs who doesn't decorate for Halloween. I was always scared of those Halloween movies, any horror movie, and wouldn't watch them, this after I moved here. I grew up not knowing anything about Halloween. It just wasn't celebrated in my neck of the woods and I lived in my own little glass bubble. Nowadays it is and perhaps our blogging friends in other regions around the world can tell us more.
When our son was young, I used to make an effort, baking and decorating Halloween-shaped cookies for him, especially when his friends came over. I helped carve a pumpkin or two.
I put together a costume for him to go out on Halloween, that was pitifully tame compared to some that mother's made their kids, but he enjoyed them.
I do enjoy going around the neighborhood and seeing how people decorate their homes and front gardens, and taking photos. Many of those have made it on my blog.
No, I didn't buy any of these. Just looked and took photos.
Boo to you from our Crew.
Enjoy your Thursday and thanks for stopping by.





We don't celebrate Halloween, but we do decorate for fall. Halloween is just too dark, and I don't feel that darkness should be celebrated. At least not by me. We do give out candy to the trick-or-treaters, do you? This display is done well. And the ghosts don't look scary, but kind of cute.
ReplyDeleteThanks Ginny, and we give out candy to trick-or-treaters. The little ones who come around are princesses and pirates and generally very cute costumes. They do look darling all dressed up and are very giggly and excited getting their candy. I prefer the cute to the not-so-cute, lol! :)
DeleteWe don’t celebrate Halloween either; there isn't much going on around here. You rarely see a carved pumpkin, and children in costumes are only found at kindergarten or school.
ReplyDeleteYou do see some items for sale in shops, or cookies at the bakery, but we don't watch any movies—in my opinion, you don't have to join in on everything.
We don't get any kids ringing the doorbell to collect candy, either.
Those are great ceramic pumpkins; I always stop to look when I see things like that!
hugs Elke
Hello Elke :) I thought that might be the case. Where my family live in Germany there isn't much going on around Halloween. I agree with your opinion, we don't need to join in everything. It is fun to stop and look at the decorations though. Hugs, Denise
DeleteThey are getting in early it seems Denise.
ReplyDeleteThey seem to be Margaret :)
DeleteIt's too early for me to see these things in the stores too. I used to decorate for Halloween but I haven't in several years. Now it's purely a fall theme.
ReplyDeleteIt will be the same here Ann, I'll have a few things around for Fall but I don't have many things. Still, a few will go up. I have a nice tablecloth with Fall leaves embroidered on it and some fake Autumn leaves I scatter around. It's a start :)
DeleteIt has gotten so much popular, the Halloween decorating! People go all out. For me, I want to just celebrate Autumn. I like to buy pretty pumpkins and place them on my steps but they are not carved at all! I just leave them as they are! I find colorful leaves and place them weighed down by the pumpkins and replace them when they fade.Scary things are not for me either! Yet, we must be in the minority from looking at all the Halloween decor.
ReplyDeleteI think so Kay :) The way you decorate is very nice.
DeleteMe gustaba las películas de terror, pero he dejado de verlas, me estaba convirtiendo en una persona miedosa, ahora que no las veo no tengo miedo a nada.
ReplyDeleteQue tengas un buen día.
Gracias por tu comentario. Me parece que eres muy sensato. Una vez vi una película de terror, no pude dormir y dejé la luz encendida toda la noche. Eso fue suficiente para mí :)
DeleteWe don’t decorate for anything!
ReplyDeleteThat's interesting David but good for you. Not everyone is into decorating.
DeleteI do enjoy Halloween but in the boonies, there isn't anyone around anyway. I do change things up to decorate for fall, I have pumpkins that grow in the pasture and I put them on stumps. I change things around in the house too.
ReplyDeleteI do like scary things, mostly toy scary stuff.
And I would love your toy scary stuff I'm sure Val. I always enjoy your photo sessions with your figures. We live in the suburbs, but we don't get that many trick-or-treaters. For a while there, people were taking their kids to community centers for Halloween parties, but there seems to be a new batch of kids knocking on the door now. It will be interesting to see how many we get this year.
DeleteI never knew about Halloween until coming to Canada. When my children were young we carved pumpkins, made costumes and gave out candy. Back then, it was a fun time for them, as it was not as scary as it is now.
ReplyDeleteNo Halloween decor for me, I tend to do more Autumn themed, colourful leaves etc.
Another kindred Autumn decor friend :) I enjoyed reading your comment, thanks so much.
DeleteHalloween decor has gone over the top for several years now. I'm not a fan of aisles and aisles of the stuff! Yikes! Halloween was so simple in the 50's! :) I did enjoy trick or treaters coming to the door when we lived in neighborhoods that were easy to navigate on Halloween. Now the only ones who come to our door are our Grands and they have to be driven here.
ReplyDeleteI believe so Ellen and yes it was. I didn't think you'd be getting any trick-or-treaters where you live, but how nice you can devote time to your grands :)
DeleteHave a nice day!
ReplyDeleteThank you Anne, you also :)
DeleteIt's coming, but society has really made holidays and seasons come on too early. We all live in the future in some ways, don't we? But it's also fun to decorate and get excited about seasons and holidays.
ReplyDeleteThat's a great way of putting it Erika, and that it is :)
DeleteGood morning, Denise!!
ReplyDeleteI actually have a Jack O Lantern from this line that my late husband bought for me from Wegman's super market...I have always been a fan of Halloween, both as a kid, then when I had my sons as I made all their costumes and I do love decorating for it. Fall is my favorite Season of the year with Halloween being my second favorite Holiday, second to Christmas....I am also a fan of horror movies!! LOL!! Halloween has actually also become the second most decorated Holiday in America, next to Christmas! We have a local town which for the past few years , calls itself Halloween Town. almost all the houses go all out with decorations and THOUSAND"S of people go there trick or treating on Halloween....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Bh8ZwKs08
Hugs,
Deb
Debbie-Dabble Blog
Good morning Deb, how are you today? :) How fun that you have the same Jack O Lantern and a treasured one from your dear husband. I bet the costumes you made for your kids were wonderful! Oh goodness, I feel a real wimp with horror movies, lol! I am really happy you get so much enjoyment out of this season. Thank you for the link. I will check it out and know I will enjoy it. Hugs, Denise
DeleteWhen my son was young we carved a pumpkin and he went trick-or-treating but that was it. Once he reached an age we did nothing.
ReplyDeleteSame here Sandra :) It was fun to see his enjoyment cutting out those pumpkins. We always see these things with more appreciation through our children's eyes.
Deletewe were always into halloween when the boys were little, we LOVED it. i decorated the entire house and picking out costumes was always so fun. now, i decorate for "fall". things that can stay out from september and go right thru to thanksgiving. even those decorations have gotten slim. chuck was in costco and all of there christmas stuff was out!!
ReplyDeleteHi Debbie, that sounds like a perfect celebration of Halloween. I am so happy for the great memories that you have. Your boys must have great memories too :) I am going to have to pick up a few more things to decorate for Fall. It is a favorite time of the year for me. Gregg was in Costco the other day and did not mention the Christmas decorations. It will be the first time I ask him in the morning.
DeleteSame here and about the time for Halloween/Thanksgiving there will be lots of Christmas decorations...
ReplyDeleteI do love pumpkins
Hugs cecilia
I have to do some decorating here as the whole town brings their children to our neighborhood to trick or treat. Houses here closer together.
ReplyDeleteIt seems hard to decorate for Fall is Florida..it's still so hot. But I love looking at the displays at the stores! I need to get out more! hahaha! Hugs!
ReplyDeleteThe neighborhood boy just informed us that they have really loaded up for Halloween. I don’t know hot they could load up anymore since their postage stamp yard was already busing last year.
ReplyDeleteYa mismo es octubre. Te mando un beso.
ReplyDeleteIt is that time of year again!
ReplyDelete