As you can see. it has a tiny visitor, a hoverfly I'm thinking. I remember how much I enjoyed taking photos of these flowers, such a pretty bloom.
It is the Marguerite Daisy
This pretty yellow flower (scientific name Argyranthemum frutescens), belongs to the Asteraceae (daisy/sunflower) family. White is the most common native color, but because of selective propagation, you can now find them in vibrant yellow, pink and burgundy.
It originally came from the Canary Islands, a Spanish archipelago which is roughly 60 miles (100 kilometers) off the northwest coast of Africa. They belong to Spain despite the fact that they are over 600 miles (1,000 kilometers) away from the Spanish Mainland. They sit directly opposite the border between Morocco and Western Sahara and are just north of the Tropic of Cancer.
In my youth, long before I met my dear other half, my first job out of school was working at a travel agents and I often dealt with the paperwork of people who had booked their holidays there. I wanted to go myself one day. But I'm getting off track, back to this delightful Marguerite Daisy.
Because of its Mediterranean heritage, it thrives in coastal locations and can tolerate sea winds very well. It is described as an evergreen shrub or tender perennial. In cooler climes that experience hard winter freezes, it is widely grown as a seasonal annual.
The Marguerite Daisy is a pollinator magnet and its center is packed with hundreds of tiny individual disc florets that do an amazing job of attracting butterflies, bees and other helpful pollinators, like our hoverfly.
That's all about the Marguerite Daisy today, with my little detour to the Canary Islands. My curiosity always gets me off track and yes, here I go again because my memories have started flowing.
I have always loved geography, which is why I thought it would be a great idea to get a job with a travel agency. I had grand ideas of taking a holiday or two. Except that they didn't pay diddly-squat and I eventually left to find a higher-paying job, so that I could save up and go on a couple of vacations with my friends.
A conundrum to be sure, but at least I was able to save up more easily, go out with those friends to the local disco occasionally, buy myself a dress or two, and pay room and board.
Anyhow, from a glamorous sounding travel agency job (it wasn't), to one in a legal office with the local government. Kind of boring to someone my age - even though I was grateful I hasten to add, and I was able to join my friends on a couple of those winter skiing holidays. We all had to save up the whole year to do that even then, but we got there. I also had a couple of other jobs later, being given good advice by my friends to look for a rise in pay when something became available, but I'll leave those 'exciting adventures' for another day (that was a bit of tongue in cheek, they weren't exciting).
I'll end this before I take you on yet another memory bender.
What a pretty daisy that was!
My attention span seems to be that of a gnat these days.
Thanks for looking and have a great day!



It is very pretty.
ReplyDeleteIt is indeed :)
DeleteI always enjoy reading about your history. The Marguerite daisy is beautiful, I don't think I have ever seen one.
ReplyDeleteThank you Ginny, I appreciate that :) I can’t remember which garden I was in when I took this photo. It has been a while.
DeleteIt was lovely to read your post about this yellow beauty! I found it interesting to learn about your early career as a young woman—it’s a shame you had to give up that job at the travel agency; I’m sure you were a fantastic salesperson.
ReplyDeleteThat’s just how life goes; sometimes you have to bite the bullet when it comes to your career, whether you want to or not.
Sending you warm Sunday greetings, Elke.
I am so glad you enjoyed Elke :) I always tried my best wherever I worked. I looked for the best in them. Yes, definitely how life goes. I wish you the same on this Sunday. I hope it was an excellent one for you. Hugs, Denise
DeleteGood memories there Denise and always good to reflect.
ReplyDeleteThe Daisy is a beauty and is often grown down this end of the world.
Thank you Margaret, I agree :) so nice to know that this daisy grows well in your part of the world.
DeleteI have visited the Canary Islands twice but I never did see this daisy. How did I miss its bright, shining face?
ReplyDeleteHow lovely David! You will have to go again to find them :)
DeleteLove its vibrant bright colour! Happy Sunday, Denise.
ReplyDeleteIt is, very much, like sunshine :) Thank you Angie, the same to you.
DeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteThe Marguerite Daisy is pretty. Great memories Denise.
Have a great day and happy week ahead.
Hello Eileen, thank you very much. Happy you found them interesting :) I wish you the same.
DeleteBeautiful flower. I'd like to travel now but not really across the world yet, more like explore what is around.
ReplyDeleteYep, a lot of starter jobs don't pay anything at all.
Thank you and exploring what is around sounds like a great idea Val, and I agree but I guess we have to start somewhere :)
DeleteHappy Sunday too!
ReplyDeleteAnd to you Anne :)
DeleteI love daisies. I bet the other colors are stunning as well.
ReplyDeleteAs for jobs, I've never had one that I could consider exciting. Some were better than others but in the end it's just a job
I would agree with you Ann :) you’re right, it’s just a job.
DeleteThis yellow Marguerite daisy is beautiful, and so are your memories...
ReplyDeleteHere, white daisies grow wild in the fields and meadows.
Sending you warm regards and wishing you a wonderful Sunday.
Viola
Hello Viola and thank you very much for:) Those daisies must be an incredible sight :) I send you the same and thank you so much.
DeleteThe yellow is so vibrant. I enjoy your mind-wanders, Denise. I always pick up a bit of something I didn’t know.
ReplyDeleteThank you Sandra, so glad you enjoy them :) much appreciated.
DeleteDaughter took a course in travel and tourism but then wasn’t inspired to go into that realm.
ReplyDeleteThat’s interesting John, thanks for sharing that :)
DeleteAnd I thoroughly enjoy all your photos
ReplyDeleteHugs Cecilia
Thank you Cecilia, sweet of you to say :) Hugs, Denise
DeleteI thought the job as a travel agent would be neat with lots of travel perks. But I guess not if you're an entry agent. Big trips would be for the agents with seniority.
ReplyDeleteBy the way: for some reason Blogger is not showing that you've posted which I know you do daily. Others are showing as updated but there are several ,yours being one, that say last post was a week ago. Can't figure out why. Can you?
So did I but no, it was my reality lesson into the working world, lol! That’s very strange but I know so many others have been having this readers list issue, on top of all the other hiccups. It will probably sort itself out soon. I mainly answer from comments left on my blog first anyhow. Fingers crossed for all of us Marcia :)
DeleteBeautiful! And thank you for the background info! I learned quite a bit from this post today! Thank you for that. Have a cozy Sunday afternoon.
ReplyDeleteHi Billie Jo, it is my pleasure :) so glad you enjoyed and I wish you the same.
DeleteThe yellow Marguerite daisy is lovely and nice to read the memories you share.
ReplyDeleteHappy Sunday.
All the best Jan
Happy you enjoyed Jan, thank you so much! Happy Sunday to you too. All the best, Denise
DeleteThis is a really pretty one! I had no idea abut where it all came from!
ReplyDeleteThank you Jeanie, it is fun for me to do the research to share :)
DeleteI think I have one of these in my yard. I will have to do some research
ReplyDeleteIt is fun to research :)
DeleteLindo domingo. Te mando un beso.
ReplyDeleteGracias, espero que tú también hayas tenido un domingo estupendo y te deseo una semana muy feliz. Te mando un beso.
DeleteAll kinds of daisies and sunflowers are so cheerful! This one is particularly bright and cheery. :)
ReplyDeleteI agree with you 100% Rita :) I love them! Thank you so much!
DeleteWhat a pretty daisy. Have never heard of them before. White daisies remind me of my mom, so this was nice to see this Monday morning. : )
ReplyDeleteThank you Sheri, I think I had heard of them before but it had been very long time ago. How very sweet that they remind you of your mom. Thank you for sharing that too :)
DeleteI love that you saved up. I like saving up. There's something about it that brings me peace.
ReplyDeleteMe too, thanks Ivy :)
DeleteYou also worked as a chef! Amazing career, Denise!
ReplyDeleteThanks Gigi, it’s been a journey :)
Delete