Sunday, September 13, 2026

HAPPY SUNDAY EVERYONE - GREEN SPRING GARDENS - OUR LATEST WALK ON 9-12-26

I thought I would showcase one of the flowers I saw today. It's called the Larkdaisy (Centratherum punctatum) also known as the Brazilian Button. It is native to Brazil, as you may have guessed, but other parts of Central and South America (ranging from Nicaragua to northern Argentina). 

It has also been suggested it was native to the Philippines and Australia, globally recognized today as an introduced naturalized species in those subtropical zones.


A few facts:

For centuries, the Larkdaisy was treated as a "pass-along plant", shared informally among gardeners in warm climates rather than sold commercially. It was first noted in British botanical texts in 1865 by botanist Robert Sweet, who recommended treating as a "half-hardy annual" to cope with chilly European temperatures. It completely disappeared from commercial interest until a sudden revival around the year 2000, when gardeners rediscovered its intense heat tolerance and unique attributes.

When the leaves or stems are crushed, they release a strong, refreshing resinous aroma that smells exactly like pineapple.

In countries like Indonesia (where it is known as Bunga kancing lurah) a fresh paste made from the leaves is applied directly as a poultice to clean minor cuts, sooth burns and accelerate wound healing. It acts as an emergency painkiller and a localized safeguard against infection.

In old regional practices, the concentrated juices of the plant were applied topically as a swift folk remedy to neutralize discomfort from snake bites and toxic insect stings.

It has other medicinal properties supposedly but while these laboratory findings are highly promising, Larkdaisy extracts are incredibly bitter, and their complete internal toxicity profile is still being evaluated by global scientists. They issued a warning at the ending of my findings, "Always consult a certified healthcare professional before attempting to use raw botanical specimens for medical treatment." They definitely don't want you trying this at home folks but it's interesting and has potential. 

Beyond human health, tests have shown that volatile oils extracted from the leaves are highly toxic to the larvae of the Aedes aegypti mosquito, making it a potential eco-friendly resource for mosquito control.


There's a lot more information about this. It always amazes me what we can find out about individual flowers and plants. Lots of talk about medicinal treatments with this one.

Thanks for looking and reading along with me.
I hope your day is a great one.














36 comments:

  1. That’s an interesting flower! it looks beautiful, but on one hand it has health benefits, while on the other, it’s poisonous.
    I’d definitely steer clear of it.
    Thanks for the info!
    Happy sunday, hugs Elke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Elke :) I am a little leery of touching flowers that I don’t know much about. I am always surprised how many can cause potential skin irritations. Happy Sunday to you too. Hugs, Denise

      Delete
  2. I have never ever seen this! It is gorgeous!!! And so mysterious and interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, it certainly is :) I love researching my finds. They usually have very interesting information.

      Delete
  3. Stunningly beautiful, and thanks for the facts about them. I did not know.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks very pretty and thanks for telling us about it, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is lovely, what an amazing colour.
    Thanks too for the facts about it.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it so Jan :) thank you too and all the best. Denise

      Delete
  6. What a pretty flower that has. I also find it fascinating how they discover the medicinal purposes these plants have

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does remind me a little of bachelor buttons. I think that is the name that I remember from years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the name. Thank you for reminding me :)

      Delete
  8. There are more benefits to nature than we realize. Well, maybe we realize but we still don’t take enough care of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope there are enough people out there who do realize and who will keep the momentum going. Always living in hope here :)

      Delete
  9. Well, who knew?! I love the name, Larkdaisy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! That first photo is amazing! Have a great Sunday, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Denise,
    It is a pretty flower, I am not sure if I have seen them.
    Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, I have seen similar but this was totally new to me :)

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Me alegra que pienses eso :) ¡Muchas gracias! Te mando un beso.

      Delete
  13. I have never seen this flower before - never knew about it - but it is gorgeous. I also think it is amazing that it can be beneficial and deadly at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing I agree Sandie :) your question made me curious and so I looked up another plant, Deadly Nightshade which is a nightmare of a plant. It can also be beneficial and yet deadly. I am amazed at the many flowers and plants out here that we need to be careful of.

      Delete
  14. Isn't that the prettiest purple flower! So unique and lovely. And my favorite color too! ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very taken with its color Sheri, looks like we both love that color :)

      Delete
  15. It certainly has a unique flower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, I get to see very interesting flowers at this garden :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I will not be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!