Where is your favorite place that you have lived? For our American friends what State, and for our overseas friends (translation of picture below this post), what county, province, area that you have loved living in? What was there that you enjoyed? My favorite places are the Shenandoah and Williamsburg to name two, love the countryside and my trips to the ocean, but any body of water I enjoy. If you have followed me for a while, every botanical garden that I come across. I also love all these trees.
When we moved here our son was 10 years old, and after we had settled a little, we asked him how did he like it? His exact words were, and with emphasis, “l don’t like it, it’s too GREEN!” Well, you could have knocked me down with a feather. But, what he was really saying was “I miss my friends and everything that was familiar to me.”
Fortunately, once school began, he met lots of friends.
Now as an adult he loves Virginia as if he had been born here, though he and our sweet daughter-in-law started out in California (both dads were in the military).
My dear husband is a Virginia Boy and first arrived in this world 200 miles south. His parents were also navy and hubby followed in his father’s footsteps. After his retirement, that's when we moved back.
Both our son and I were homesick for California for many years. I also missed my friends and everything that was familiar to me.
However, after several more years, we went back to San Diego for a vacation. Once that was over I realized I was looking forward to getting back 'home'. When I walked in our front door I realized that yes, it was indeed home, that I had fallen in love with this State and am now just about as content as I can be. I love Virginia!
I still enjoy California the times we have been back (not for several years now), so does our son who just returned from San Diego with our d-in-l two weeks ago. But Virginia is home now and I hope it always will be. There are always unforeseen circumstances of course, but we certainly don't intend moving again at this stage of our lives.
We lived about 20 miles from the City of San Diego. It had rolling hills, deep canyons and elevated ridges. In some places if there was no rain, the trails and the hills at the back of us could get very dusty, and every once in a while, we would come across a few rattlesnakes. We lived at the bottom of Black Mountain that rises to 1,500 feet. We watched hot-air balloons float low over our heads. They landed a few hundred feet away in a level area. One time they landed too soon at the bottom of the street, and the neighborhood kids got a free ride about 30 feet up while they waited for a truck to come and deflate and pack up the balloon.
A few years later they started dynamiting the mountain and our whole house shook at every blast. There were times we didn't know if it was an earthquake or blasting. That went on for over a year as a good part of the lower mountain was made level enough to build dozens and dozens of homes. Sad, sad, sad we were to see what a change it made to that beautiful mountain, and no more waves from friendly, smiling balloonists as they floated overhead. But we have great memories of seeing their faces as they waved down at us. Many, many other great memories from those days.
62% of Virginia is covered by forests, totaling roughly 15.72 million acres of land, and celebrates the largest trees. Yes, it is very green and we love them. So does our son. This website will give you more information on how they are protected.
Thanks for visiting and enjoy your day.
For our overseas friends to use the Translation/language button on my side bar.
Names on the post on the right-hand side.
Shanandoa National Park
Blue Ridge Parkway
Shenandoah Valley
Chesapeake Bay
Williamsburg
Roanoke
Charlottesville
Virginia Beach
Appalachian Trail
The mug on next to the white daisies says "Virginia".
The sign being held by the lady says, "I have lived in Virginia off and on for 50 years. Finally moved here permanently in 1990. I love Virginia."
The top blue sign says "Welcome to Viginia. Virginia is for lovers."
Mountains
History
Country Roads
Front Porches
Sweet Tea
Strong Roots
Proud Hearts
Home Sweet Home



I live in Slovenia, in Ljubljana... a bit outside the capital or the center... we're like in the countryside but it's nice... the grass now is like straw... all burnt by the sun... sad :((
ReplyDeleteThanks for this interesting post about your life and your family. Yes, I’ve also moved to big cities twice. But we are happy and content where we live now. I would never want to live in a big city again. I don't visit anymore either, as it's too far away and traveling for hours by train is too stressful.
ReplyDeleteHugs Elke
We have lived in Virginia for almost 60 years and I adore it. It has also been the safest place for weather disasters. We are surrounded by mountains, which feels like they are protecting us. The best place I have ever or will ever live.
ReplyDeleteNicely written Denise of where you have lived and some of what you have seen. I can't believe that part of a mountain was blasted to build houses, it's unbelievable to me.
ReplyDeleteThose balloons sound good, and waving to the people before the houses.