Thursday, April 28, 2022

BLUEBELL WALK NEAR THE OLD STONE BRIDGE IN MANASSAS 4-12-22


On the 12th of this month we drove over to the Old Stone Bridge in Manassas. The sun was shining and it was a lovely day.  Our son and daughter-in-law inspired us as the day before they sent us photos from their own walk, and took some very nice shots of the bluebells.  It reminded me that we hadn't been to see ours and I asked Gregg what he thought of going over that morning.  This sign was new, designed specifically with children in mind, sowing those seeds early.
Virginia bluebells (botanical name Mertensia virginica) are also called Virginia cowslip, Blue and pink ladies, Chiming bells and Kentucky bluebells.  It blooms in the spring and is native to eastern North America.  They grow in wooded areas near river and lake banks, or in wetland areas. 

These were growing near Bull Run.  

We had just crossed over the Old Stone Bridge, which is part of the history of this area, relating to the Civil War.  If you are a history buff, you can click on the name to read more information.  I read it was built in 1886 and restored in 1959.
When I first moved here I was very curious about why a body of water like the one above, was called a 'run'.  I read that because our area was settled mostly by the English, back in their homeland the term 'creek' was used when referring to  'streams that were influenced by the tides'.  This was when the first settlers came across these bodies of water in 17th century America and they adopted the same name.  As they moved inland they very quickly encountered very fast-moving streams.  They didn't know what to call them.  There was no word for them, so they used the word 'run'.
The Bluebells were a bit passed their peak, some petals had dried up and some had fallen off, but were still beautiful!

We found an Eastern Bluebird.
Did you know an Eastern bluebird can fly 17 miles per hour?  They lay between 2 to 8 eggs in each clutch and lay two clutches per season.  They have a lifespan of 6 to 10 years.  Male bluebirds sing with their beaks closed. I found my information at this link, a website called World Birds Joy of Nature, with great photos.  If you scroll down a bit, there is a delightful video of one.
Other wildflowers I saw that day, firstly Marsh blue violets (Viola cucullata).  Also known as Hooded blue violet and purple violet.
Downy Yellow Violet (Viola pubescens), also known as Downy Violet, Hairy Yellow Violet and Yellow Violet.
Yellow trout lily (Erythronium americanum), also known as Yellow dog-tooth violet.  I wasn't sure what it was at first, and certainly didn't realize it was a trout lily.  I was looking at it from a different angle.
Garlic mustard (Alliaria petiolata), also known as Poor man's mustard, Hedge garlic, Jack-by-the-hedge, Sauce-alone.
Virginia springbeauty (Claytonia virginica), also known as Fairy spud, Good morning spring, Narrowleaf springbeauty.
Bulbous buttercup (Ranunculus bulbosus), also called St. Anthony's turnip, Bulbous crowfoot, Frogwort and Crowfoot. 
Also seen in the photo above is my last wildflower.  It is Purple dead-nettle (Lamium purpureum).

And that's the end of our walkabout around the bluebells for now, until next year.  It was fun going back.  I have since found other trails that have them, so who knows where we will turn up next year.


Thanks for looking and I hope your day is a happy one.








45 comments:

  1. We have this purple dead nettle all over our yard, and I never knew what it was!! So I am excited, and off to research it. Aren't the nicknames of some of these wildflowers colorful? And I love how the bluebells are pink before they open. What a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to have helped with the ID of your purple dead nettle. I agree about the nicknames, always fun finding them. I love bluebells also, for exactly the reasons you described :) Thanks Ginny!

      Delete
  2. The birds and flowers are lovely Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a truly beautiful excursion. Thank you for sharing some of its beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos, Denise. That field of bluebells is magic.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Estas flores silvestres são muito bonitas.
    Gostei.
    Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

    Andarilhar
    Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
    O prazer dos livros

    ReplyDelete
  6. So many beautiful wildflowers. This looks like a very nice area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ann, it's one of the places that we enjoy going to :)

      Delete
  7. Hello Denise,
    Lovely outing, the wildflowers are all beautiful. I love the Bluebells. Pretty capture of the Bluebird too. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, thank you :) It was fun finding the wildflowers along with those bluebells. And the bluebird :) You take care and enjoy your day also :)

      Delete
  8. They're all magnificent!!! Kinds of flowers we don't see here. Love the scenery, enjoyed reading about the term "run".

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to visit Manassas, My dad was born in Manassas, but not where you are, the one in Georgia. His mother was born in 1886, my grandmother. all that you speak about here is familar to me because her dad died at Shiloh.. your flower photos are awe inspiring. so very beautiful. love those blue bells

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very interesting Sandra. I didn't long find out that I had relatives (genealogy seach by hubby), who emigrated to America and fought on both sides of the Civil War. So glad you enjoyed the flowers :)

      Delete
  10. So many of these wildflowers were ones we used to see on some of our walks in VA and also on our lawn, especially the buttercups, purple dead nettle, and the yellow and purple violets. That said, we didn't have many bluebells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy, interesting you had all these wildflowers. I am going to have to plant some bluebells and see how they take :)

      Delete
  11. You found far more than blue bells on this tour. Here we only use the term creek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Red, I certainly did :) Interesting about you using 'creek' up your way.

      Delete
  12. I would love to see a woods full of bluebells. I've only seen photos - they always look a blue miracle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great way of putting it Carol, a blue miracle :) Thank you!

      Delete
  13. It would be fun to see a field of bluebells in person. Thanks for taking us on your walk about! Happy day to you Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Ellen, happy you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  14. Thank you so much Denise. These really are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Cloudia, and thank you :)

      Delete
  15. Denise the view of the bluebells in mass is lovely. The other wildflowers are so unique in their own way. Each one a beauty to behold. I always enjoy your lovely photos and facts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha Ellen, so glad you enjoyed. Thank you :)

      Delete
  16. You know your flowers and birds. Interesting history on the use of run. Where my mother grew up in Idaho they call creeks "cricks."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yogi, always learning :) I liked that about your mother and saying "cricks" :)

      Delete
  17. I learned a lot, including that bird "ventriloquists" exist! I enjoyed being with you on your walk. The bluebells are particularly lovely and delicate … a fairy flower of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penelope, ah yes, the bird ventriloquists seem happy playing their part :) Those bluebells would look lovely in a fairy garden :)

      Delete
  18. Your flower pictures are beautiful. I am envious of the bluebird picture. I was in a field yesterday named “Bluebird Field”. Did I see a bluebird? No, not even one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda :) I have only recently started seeing them so I was very, very happy. Oh dear, about Bluebird Field, hopefully you will see them soon. As for going to Meadowlark Gardens, I have not seen one Meadowlark :0

      Delete
  19. It's wonderful to see these fabulous spring wildflowers on this historical trail. ANd of course the bluebird makes me smile. Thank you so much for sharing. (And a nature trail marked for children would be great for me -- I missed an awful lot when I was one!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sallie, I am happy you enjoyed all those wildflowers :) Sometimes it is hard to get interested in nature, but am so glad when I did.

      Delete
  20. I so loved seeing all of these...but made me disappointed in myself. I have Virginia bluebells growing in a corner by the porch and did not even take a single photo. Not of them, not of my trillium. I am really out of sync. Yours of the single bluebell stem is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful you have them on your porch. Sometimes the eye makes for a good camera to the memory box :) It reminds me I can plant some of these in pots and put them on our deck. Thanks for the idea Rose!

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!