Monday, February 25, 2019

MONDAY RECIPE POST - PORTABELLA MUSHROOM WITH EXTRAS

I put this together as a first meal of the day at eleven-ish, brunch I guess.  I also think it would be nice for lunch or supper.

This is not for everyone I know, but for me it was a great combination of flavors, one of those 'boring-on-their-own-but-together-kind-of-delicious' type of meals.  There is no recipe.  I like to go through Instagram and saw a photo similar to this one, except that they used a slice of toast, and had bacon instead of the tomato.  I used a large portabella mushroom for my base, and I had an avocado that was ripe.

I roasted the mushroom in the oven for 20 minutes on 400 degrees F., using 1/4 teaspoon of olive oil drizzled on the top.  While that was cooking I hard-boiled an egg and sautéed a sliced tomato using cooking spray (I would have cooked the tomato in the oven with the mushroom if I had thought about using one beforehand).  The avocado I mashed up with a squeeze of lemon juice added, which not only kept it from going brown but gave it a nice but not overpowering zing.

On the plate, roasted portabella, topped with the mashed avocado/lemon juice mix, sliced hard-boiled egg (you could poach or fry an egg instead), and the sliced sautéed tomato.  

I wouldn't hesitate to make this again as it made a delicious change for breakfast/lunch.  I usually have a bowl of oatmeal but felt like something different today.   

I wish I could give credit for the original idea from Instagram.  I try to remember to ID but occasionally forget.

Enjoy your week everyone.  Thanks for stopping by.



30 comments:

  1. Very yum Denise! I think it must tick all the healthy boxes too lol (if I was keeping count ;D)). It looks very nice even without tasting it and I can imagine all those lovely flavours together.
    Your signature is really sweet too :D) cheers and have a great week xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, yes it is one of those healthy dishes :) I always wonder about these 'healthy' meals but much to my surprise it was a really delicious combination. Glad you like the signature, I have fun doing those. Cheers to you, have a great week and I hope you had a great weekend.

      Delete
  2. That looks good. I love portabella mushrooms they are good to eat instead of meat. They make great burgers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice, I agree, I always enjoy them when I have a meatless meal. I'll have to try them as burgers.

      Delete
  3. NOw that looks and sounds like something I would like an very easy to make

    ReplyDelete
  4. dh has oatmeal every am and sometimes gets tired of the same ole thing, roasted any veges are great in my book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Linda, I tend to stick with something as I enjoy it so much, but it is always nice to have a change.

      Delete
  5. Hello, this looks delicious and easy. Thanks for sharing! Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Obrigado, espero que você tenha uma boa semana também.

      Delete
  7. Now you've made me feel hungry. Anything with mushrooms wins my vote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These recipes have a tendency to do that don't they Valerie? I remember as a child mum going to the greengrocer and buying field mushrooms as big as plates. A childhood taste that was the best in the world :)

      Delete
  8. Looks quite delicious to me, yum yum. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found it so, thanks Diane and cheers to you also.

      Delete
  9. it looks good from here, but I would have to pass on this one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Sandra, hopefully I will have something you can enjoy one of these times.

      Delete
  10. Unusual, and very healthy!! It is pretty, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never had avocado, so I don't know how it tastes, but everything else seems agreeable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi William, it took me a long time to try avocado. I had been in the States for several years and don't remember them at all in the UK when I was growing up.

      Delete
  12. This looks yummy, Denise. I would leave out the avocado though and add bacon instead. Avocado is not my favorite unfortunately. Have a happy week. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, bacon would be very nice on this.

      Delete
  13. This is a great idea for a different breakfast (at any time of the day). I do make avocado toast sometimes and put a poached egg on top ...our usual bkfast is fruit and either peanut butter toast or oatmeal, but sometimes you do really want a change!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good too Sallie. I have often fixed myself poached eggs on toast, one of the favorites that both hubby and I enjoy.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!