Thursday, November 15, 2018

DAD'S BIRTHDAY AND LAST POST FROM WILLIAMSBURG...

It would have been my Dad's 102nd birthday today.  He passed away 25 years ago and in some ways, as those of us who have lost loved ones feel, it is as though he is still here.  He was a 30 year career police officer, spending the duration of WWII in the navy, and one of his ships was the HMS Jamaica.  Dad was well liked by many, knew no strangers and loved by us, so Happy Birthday Dad, you will always be missed.


When we woke up and looked outside, there was a thin layer of snow on the ground.  It is going to snow for another two hours, and then will turn into rain, which should take care of the snow, hopefully!

Last post from Williamsburg

 There are only a few photos to finish off our trip.  I didn't take any to share of our family as I know they value their privacy and I respect that.  Suffice to say we had a wonderful time, and are looking forward to our next get-together, hopefully before Christmas.


I was surprised to see flowers still blooming.

Not knowing the restaurants in the area very well, you never know what to expect.  But I looked on Yelp, put a few basic requirements in the search engine, and they showed several places.  Cochon met all our needs.  It also had excellent reviews so we arranged to meet our family there.
It is located in Williamsburg but not downtown, only a short drive though.  Not a large place at all, which was fine by us.  There was a largish party just leaving and a few tables taken for the time we were there, and a few people arriving.  It was a popular place.  We chose the lunch hour so that we could all get home in the daylight.  It is open from 11.30 a.m. to 2.00 p.m. for lunch, and from 5.00 p.m. to 9.00 p.m. for dinner.  We made sure to make a reservation.  You can see the days and hours of operation on their contact page
It had friendly service and great food and I would recommend it to anyone.
Gregg had a pork barbecue sandwich with French fries, and I had a salad which came with two mini crabcakes.  

After a lovely long lunch chatting, we said goodbye and started our journey back north, in good weather this time. The sun was out the whole way. This isn't our house, just a neighborhood we drove through along the way.  I loved how the sun made those golden leaves glow as it was going down.  We got home well before dark.
That's all from Williamsburg for this trip.  I hope we get back before Christmas.

Thank you all very much for following along and I hope the rest of your week is a great one.



34 comments:

  1. Hello, looks like a great choice for you and your family to meet and have lunch. The food looks delicious. Nice photo of your Dad, I am sure you miss him. It is snowing here, looks like a few inches already. Enjoy your day, have a great weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen. The sun is shining here today and hope the same for you. You have a great day and weekend also :)

      Delete
  2. the photos of the food in that beautiful restaurant look soooo good to me. I would want Gregs plate for me. so would Bob. I like the statue in the fountain a lot. my dad would have been 105 this past Oct 21st, so same generation as your dad. you do know that since our fathers would be 105 it means we are fast approaching the quarter centry mark ourselves. yowsa! and my sons are 51 and 53

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, it was all great. Our family had salmon and beef ribs respectively, and they enjoyed theirs too. Interesting about your dad, a great generation. Yes, makes you think doesn't it. My son will be turning 40 soon. Wow! Where did all that time go?

      Delete
  3. This last picture is gorgeous! We are having a sleet storm, are you? Your photo of the rose is stunning! This was really a perfect trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, how is the weather your way today? You're right, it was a perfect trip.

      Delete
  4. A great post to share! Thank you so much. Your Dad was a handsome person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nas, and you are very welcome. I think my Dad would be smiling at your comment :)

      Delete
  5. Your Dad is a little younger than my Mum. I have so many of her things about the house I often find myself chatting to her still. Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, I have my Dad's medals and his old police whistle. They are part of the treasures I have around our place too.

      Delete
  6. Hi Denise,
    Last thing you want to wake up to when on a break is snow.
    However you appear to have had a most enjoyable time and certainly have eaten well, put me own for one of Greggs pork barbecue sandwiches.
    Surprising to still have flowers in bloom.
    Thank you for the image of your Dad in his police uniform.
    Reading the accounts of HMS Jamaica, he most certainly saw some action.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, makes me feel good to know you still have your flowers blooming. He certainly did but then so did many. God Bless them all! All the best to you too.

      Delete
  7. the restaurant looks very cute, i like the decor and those high ceilings!! and the food, yum!! i like what you got, i am always up for good crab cakes!! isn't it wonderful these days, that we can use electronics and specialized websites to find fun things to do and great places to eat!!

    greg looks great...and so does the autumn picture you took!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, it was a fun place and much enjoyed by everyone. Crab Cakes are one of my favorite choices when I go out, that and Rainbow Trout :) Got to love those apps too! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  8. What a nice photo of your father, Denise. Your father sounded like a wonderful man.
    Your photos of the restaurant look very nice. We'll have to check them out the next time we go to Williamsburg. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha Ellen, he was. I have so many neat stories about him I could tell. Glad you liked the look of the restaurant and I would be very interested in what you think of it if you go there.

      Delete
  9. No matter how long they're gone, we don't stop missing our parents.

    The restaurant does look quite appealing.

    And we're getting more snow here this evening, though given that we're further north, odds are fairly good that it'll stick around longer than what you've got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true William. I feel a bit of a wimp about a little snow, knowing what our neighbors further north have to deal with. My sister used to live in Norway.

      Delete
  10. Happy birthday to your dad may he rest in peace. I enjoyed your photos today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like you had a lovely time! That is a nice photo of your Dad. Mine was in the Navy during WWII also. He was on a destroyer called the USS Furse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lois, we certainly did. Your Dad and my Dad would have had some great conversations about their experiences. I'll have to look up USS Furse.

      Delete
  12. Lovely shots! And a wonderful shot of your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you really enjoyed this trip and that food looks delicious. that rose image us superb. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You do find some great places to eat.

    I remember once before you talked about your father and the police force but I didn't realise it was so long ago. Time does fly, I cannot believe it is three years since Joe died. Phew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, I have mentioned Dad before and in some ways it only seems like yesterday that he past on. Three years? I remember Joe well and I am so glad you have him in that lovely picture on your home page.

      Delete
  15. I've enjoyed your two last blog posts. You wrote a lovely tribute to your Dad. Mine died just over 20 years ago and I miss him too. I'm glad you had a good time with relatives in Williamsburg and the weather was good after your rainny start to your trip. A beautiful photo of the autumn scene with the glowing leaves and sun on the house that you saw as you drove through that neighbourhood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we will always miss them won't we? Williamsburg is one of my favorite places to go. So glad you enjoyed my post :)

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Foi um restaurante maravilhoso. Obrigado Francisco, um abraço e uma boa semana para você também. Sua amiga Denise :)

      Delete
  17. Such a lovely photograph of your Dad.
    When our parents die the loss is felt for years to come, but the memories linger and I am so grateful for them.

    So pleased you had a good time with your relatives.
    I enjoyed your photographs, and thought your salad with the mini crab cakes looked delicious.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Jan. Glad you enjoyed my post. All the best to you too.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!