Monday, March 11, 2019

MONDAY RECIPE POST - THAI BASIL CHICKEN

Friday, March 8th, 2019 -  4.29 p.m.
It snowed today but is not supposed to be getting very deep.  However, there has been a steady fall of fluffy flakes all morning.  The ground is just beginning to get covered in a fine layer.  When I saw the birds up in the trees overlooking the deck, I knew I had to resupply their birdseed.  Yes, they have me well trained!

No new recipe today but Gregg made his favorite, Thai Basil Chicken and it was as yummy as always. I cut and paste this from my old blog (no longer open), and the size of the letters may be different as I don't have the time to type the whole thing again.  I also wanted to transfer it so that I don't have to keep looking on the old blog.  We don't make the dish that often and forget a lot of the ingredients by the time we get round to it.  You get the whole post, history and all, of how we came to enjoy eating this dish.



Years ago before we moved to Virginia (in 1990) we had never tried Thai food.  Gregg moved ahead of us to start a new civilian job after leaving the navy, and lived with his brother and family for a while.  I was waiting for our son to finish his year in school in California.  

In the meantime Gregg started his job and I remember him raving about the food at a restaurant he was taken to by a new colleague.  It was a short walk up the road from his office.  I also remember him saying that it wasn't a fancy restaurant, a hole in the wall place, but it was clean and very popular.  It also had the most amazing food.  This was his introduction to Thai food and he couldn't wait for us to join him so that we could all go there together.  

And that we did.  He was delighted that not only I but also our ten year old son enjoyed it as much as he did.  We visited often and the owners got to know us well.  We became regulars and when we walked in, there would often be a lady seated at one of the dining tables with a big bowl of basil, picking the basil leaves off the stems to be used in their meals.  The smell from the kitchen was incredible.


I am having a case of deja vu.  I may have mentioned this place before on this blog somewhere, but I will plod on.  After a few years and for one reason or another, we had not gone for a while.  It wasn't exactly around the corner from where we lived and life got busier.  We went there more infrequently but after a particularly long 'dry spell', we decided it was time to go get some of our favorite food and headed for our little hole in the wall restaurant.  We were shocked to find the place all boarded up.  It was a sad day for the three of us.  There was no notice on the door to say where they had moved, even though we subsequently tried several more restaurants in the area, thinking they may have relocated, but to no avail.  The food in these restaurants was excellent of course, but it just wasn't the same as our little hole in the wall.

The story was that the building was going to be torn down and that's why those lovely people left, but wouldn't you know it, that building is still there to this day?  I don't know what happened but there are now other restaurants in its place.  I hope they are doing well but none included our favorite Thai restaurant and we never did go back.  For a couple of years if we were in the area and driving by, we might glance in their direction to see if by some miracle they had returned, but they never did.  We still wonder about them occasionally.  They will always be a fond memory, this being the very first place we experienced Thai food.  It wasn't just the food but the people who ran it.  They were extremely kind, genuine friendly and just nice, nice people.

And so it became one of those wonderful family memories of our first few months in Virginia, when the three of us were introduced to a new taste that we had never experienced before.


It is one of the reasons we tried this Thai Basil Chicken tonight. We have been dabbling, trying several Thai recipes lately with great success.  Gregg asked me if I remembered the Thai Basil Chicken we used to get (this from that first Thai Restaurant)?  I told him I would look around for a recipe and I found this one here.  Eureka!  He announced that it is the taste he remembered and gave it a good solid 10!

Thai Basil Chicken - serves 2 to 3 people

Olive Oil (amount wasn't mentioned) but we used 1 to 2 tablespoons

2 large chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
1 onion, sliced thinly
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
3-4 dried chilies, minced/crushed, more if you like it spicy
  (we have been replacing the dried chilies with a chili garlic paste,   1-1/2 tablespoons.)
2 cups Thai basil leaves, loosely packed

Sauce:

2-1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
1-1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons ketcap manis (thick Indonesian slightly sweet soy sauce)
2 to 3 teaspoons sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons cornstarch
Pinch of black pepper

Prepare your ingredients.

Combine the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl.  Set aside.

Saute the garlic with the crushed chili in olive oil for a minute or two on medium heat, until it smells fragrant.

Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes.

Add the chicken to the hot pan and stir fry until it is almost done, about 3 to 4 minutes.

Add the bell pepper.  Stir fry for 1 minute.

Pour in the sauce.

Stir and mix well.

Cook for another minute or until the sauce thickens up a bit.

Add in the basil leaves.  Mix well.  Cook for 30 seconds until they started to wilt and become fragrant.

Remove from the heat and serve with hot rice.


What did we think of this dish?  More to the point what did Gregg think. Was it anything like the one that became his favorite all those years ago?   With a big smile he said it was 95 percent of what he had remembered.  Thai Basil Chicken was the meal he ordered every time we went to our hole in the wall.  It's a keeper!

There were two recipes I was thinking of making, the one above and another here,  It also looks an excellent meal which I suggested trying another time, but Gregg doesn't want any other than what we made tonight and that's okay with me.  I will, however, add the sliced green onions as a garnish, as suggested in the second recipe, along with the fresh Thai basil.

If you are used to handling hot peppers and depending on the kind you buy then you should have no problem, but I would highly recommend that you wear kitchen gloves when preparing. The first time I cut one up I had a bit of a reaction - to put it mildly - and found that I am super-sensitive to such things.  Gregg does all the cutting up of hot peppers now and has no problem at all, but he still wears kitchen gloves and immediately washes the cutting board and knife afterwards.  I prepare all the other veggies. 

We ended up using one fresh hot pepper because we couldn't find any dried, and removed all the seeds.  You may already know these seeds contain a good part of the heat.  I thought of leaving half of the seeds in the dish but we both decided this meal was more than hot enough for our taste and we took all the seeds out.  

The only basil we have eaten is Thai basil which we purchase at our local Asian food store.  It is hard for me to describe the difference but I found the following information at two sites, here and here. At the first site I read: "Are Thai and Sweet Basil interchangeable? When developing Thai-style recipes, we've run tests to see if Thai basil can be replaced with the much more available sweet (Italian) basil.  The answer in all cases is a resounding no; these herbs have very different flavors.  Thai basil, which can be identified by its purple stem, has a stronger flavor and aroma - we detected hints of licorice, cinnamon and mint.  If you can't find Thai basil in your supermarket, we recommend substituting mint, not sweet basil."

We served it with steamed white rice, although I am sure you can use brown.

When making the sauce we will double the amount.  It would have been nice to have extra to pour over our rice. 

Added note: Gregg says he could eat this dish at least once a week so we made it again since the first time.  We did make double the sauce and it was a good decision.  This is what it looks like in the pan.


We also added sliced green onions along with the basil for a garnish.  


We didn't have any in the house but Gregg thought a nice Tsingtao beer would have gone well with this dish.


32 comments:

  1. What a story!! And now you will always wonder what happened to those people. I have a couple restaurants that I feel this way about, from so long ago in the past. One is 60 years ago, the other about 30 years ago. But how wonderful that Gregg has been able to replicate it. I can imagine the smell is so memorable. I read once that no other sense brings back memories as strongly as smell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We both agree about our sense of smell Ginny. They have taken us back to cettain times in both our lives and we often have a discussion about them. I hope you let us know your memories from those restaurants you went to.

      Delete
  2. This looks so wonderful. I tend to always order the same pad thai, pad sie wie or pho. I need to try something different. You are such an amazing cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay, there is a Thai restaurant where I always order Drunken Noodles. It is my favorite dish there. I have to give all the credit to Gregg for this dish. He was the chef this day :)

      Delete
  3. Never mind about the birds. Looks like you got Gregg well trained as well Denise. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah now Roy, you made me laugh. When Gregg retired I do remember asking for some help in preparation when he had requested a particularly lengthy-prep Thai recipe when my energy level wasn't that great. And the rest, as they say, is history :)

      Delete
  4. It is sad that those people had to leave but memories linger on. I wish I could have felt the same way about restaurants where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, we still think of them, especially when trying to replicate their dishes, and always wish them well.

      Delete
  5. neither of us like spices, which means we don't care for Asian food, that said, I make this and put it on rice. the difference is only no fish sauce, no basil. I cook the chicken in garlic and olive oil with peppers and mushroom, and serve over rice..yours looks beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds good Sandra. It is a pretty dish with all the colors of the various veggies.

      Delete
  6. Sounds good to me. Interesting story. Have a good week, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, we miss a few of our favorite local restaurants. It is sad that they close. The Thai Chicken dish sounds yummy. I like some heat in my food but my hubby will not eat it. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Happy Monday, have a great day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, the same here, we keep seeing restaurants close down and we know they put their life and soul into them. Always sad. I enjoy heat but not too much. Gregg can tolerate more. Happy week to you :)

      Delete
  8. I never see Thai basil in our grocery, I must try growing some perhaps. I feel for your missing your restaurant. We used to patronize an Asian restaurant in California when they first started out and didnt' get much business but the food was good and it too was a hole in the wall, then we moved across the country. dh had to go back for some reason or other and went to our old restaurant which was now very popular and the people remembered him and gave him free food they were so happy to see him, same circumstance as you the food was good and the people were very special and kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, I loved how those dear restaurant owners welcomed your dh back. What a lovey story. Thank you for sharing it :) I am still smiling.

      Delete
  9. Lovely memories and wow this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious! And sounds delicious, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So good when you can replicate a recipe for a dish you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that hot peppers would probably give me problems.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks very tasty indeed!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very tasty, thank you Jan and all the best to you too :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!