Sunday, August 30, 2026

HAPPY SUNDAY EVERYONE - A POEM FROM MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE

 A Summer Day by Mary Oliver


Who made the world?

Who made the swan…

and the black bear?

Who made the grasshopper?

The grasshopper, I mean-

the one who has flung herself out of the grass,

the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,

who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down - 

who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.

Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.

Now she snaps her wings open and floats away.


I don't know exactly what a prayer is.

I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down

into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,

how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields…

which is what I have been doing all day.


Tell me, what else should I have done?

Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon? 

Tell me, what is it you plan to do

with your one wild and precious life?

I have probably shared this before, but Mary's poems are always worth repeating. I enjoy reading them over and over again, and I hope you will enjoy this one, even if you have read it before.


Thanks for always visiting. It is a source of great enjoyment reading all your comments. 

A big thank you to my blogging friends who have been following my posts for many years, wow! You have my never-ending appreciation. 

My newer blogging friends, you too. You are very much appreciated and it’s lovely getting to know you. I look forward to a long friendship.

Those who come and go I consider a gift. 

Look-see-drop-ins are also welcome. 

If you have a good heart, everyone is welcome here.

A little too syrupy for some? No apologies, that’s who I am and how I was brought up. My emotional nature is cast in stone.

I had better finish now. I have had many years to hone my typing skills. My fingers aren’t quite as fast as they used to be, but I can still go pretty darned fast and when my brain is working, type as fast as I think. There may be a few misplaced letters here and there. I try to edit thoroughly but some slip through. I often find them after I have published a post and go back or even add something more that I forgot about originally. Enough of the blathering! Take good care of yourselves.

And on that note, I wish you all a wonderful Sunday!

And thank you Mary for a really beautiful poem. What a wonder you were/are! 







62 comments:

  1. Thank you; her poem is wonderful!! I especially love the last two lines. And you chose great photos to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, not only a favorite author but also this is a favorite poem :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this beautiful, touching poem by Mary, complete with pictures, dear Denise.
    It’s only human to make a mistake now and then—it happens to me too!
    I’m so glad to know you, too!
    Have a lovely Sunday. Hugs, Elke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure Elke, so glad to know you Elke :) I hope your Sunday was lovely. I am late getting here but I was a little behind even before our glitch with the comments happened. Hope your weekend was a lovely one and that your week is going well :) Hugs, Denise

      Delete
  3. Love Mary Oliver! I didn't know this poem though. Thank you, Denise, for sharing it, and you too have a fantastic Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has a wonderful way with words doesn't she Angie? :) It is my pleasure to share her poetry. I hope your Sunday was an excellent one. Here I am on Tuesday, still trying to catch up. Happy day to you!

      Delete
  4. Hello Denise
    I love the poem by Mary Oliver. The photos fit perfectly too.
    Happy Sunday! Have a great day and a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed Eileen, and thank you very much. I hope your Sunday was a great one and that your week is going well :)

      Delete
  5. We were just mentioning Mary the other day on a walk.

    I both think and type slowly and badly in the latter case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice John, that we all mention her still. She left a wonderful legacy. Ah well, my typing hasn't been quite so fast today. I am having one of those draggy days :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, so glad you enjoyed Mary's poem :)

      Delete
  7. Not only is the poem wonderful but the pictures you chose to go with it are perfect. I love the picture of the bear.
    I do pretty good typing and am usually pretty good at catching the typos as well. That is unless I"m typing on a phone or an iPad. Then I make a lot of typos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ann, I am happy to have enough photos in my archives, that I can dip into them for the appropriate post. Happy you enjoyed Mary's poem too. Yes I agree, the rules change when we are on our phone or iPad. Total different story there :)

      Delete
  8. This Mary Oliver work is sheer perfection and you have married the pictures with it beautifully, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, she was perfection! I'm happy you thought my photos fitted well David, thank you :)

      Delete
  9. You are like a beautiful poem yourself. I always enjoy visiting you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's one of the nicest things anyone has ever said about me. You are so sweet Carol, thank you very much :)

      Delete
  10. Did you see the Mary Oliver bio documentary on PBS American Masters last week? It was lovely and so many of her perfect poems. I love this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did Jeanie, and was profoundly moved by it in parts. I owe Ginny a big thank you for telling me about it. I learned that she was a very, very private person and understood why. She wrote from the heart, all her poems were a treasure.

      Delete
  11. Mary Oliver is a wonderful poet, and I love how you illustrated the poem. You can't go wrong with a few insect photos, can you? Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certain is and thank you, I am so pleased you enjoyed my additions. I'm a big believer in insects Erika and wonder what on earth we would do without them. I always enjoy seeing your hive photos with their industrious little workers. Always so interesting!

      Delete
  12. What a perfect Sunday morning post
    Hugs
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me happy you think so Cecilia, a big thank you from me :) Hugs, Denise

      Delete
  13. I appreciate your emotional nature and Mary Oliver’s poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sweet of you to say Sandra, thank you :) Dear Mary Oliver, she could write a poem from the heart couldn't she?

      Delete
  14. Your choice today to share Mary Oliver's poem (one of my favorites) while adding photos to it...thank you so much. It's always an added bonus to find what a blogger is thinking and feeling, in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my pleasure Barbara, I am happy to share and I am happy you enjoyed. Kind and very sweet of you to say that, sometimes I think I overshare, lol! But that's me I guess. Thank you so much, I feel better about myself now :)

      Delete
  15. I love that you pour out your heart on your blog. I think we are very much alike and I love spending time here....with you! Enjoy your beautiful day my friend! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, you are so kind! I guess I was having one of those pour-out-my-heart days :) I'm happy you think we are very much alike and you make me feel so good about what I share. Some days seem good to me, others maybe not so much. I certainly love visiting you down in Florida. My memories of road trips that way, are at the top of my list, as attested to from what I see on your blog. Your birdlife/wildlife/scenic photos are amazing, and l look forward to visiting you too :) Thanks again my friend, Hugs, Denise

      Delete
  16. Thank you for sharing Mary's beautiful poem and all the wonderful photos.
    I love to visit friends on their blogs and read see and be invited to share a little bit of their lives. Everyone of them is different and everyone special. Thank you to everyone who makes my life a little brighter or makes me feel something by what you write x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Beverley, I am happy you enjoyed. You and I think alike with regards to our blogging family, and you are one of them my friend. Happy September!

      Delete
  17. Thank you for this poem today. And thank you for your sweet thoughts! You are much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Granny Sue, sometimes those thoughts just start flowing and can’t say enough how much I appreciate you too :)

      Delete
  18. I am not sure who Mary is, but it was a wonderful and true poem!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandie, glad you enjoyed Mary’s poem. Hope all is well with you :)

      Delete
  19. Thank you, Denise, we are having a lovely Sunday. Home from church and this week's encouragement from God's Word and now we will have a restful day. Happy day to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Ellen and that is wonderful. Happy day to you too :)

      Delete
  20. Dear Denise,
    I can understand why you return to this poem again and again. What touches me most is that Mary Oliver finds something so profound in something as simple as paying attention. Watching a grasshopper, walking through a field, allowing ourselves to be still and truly notice the world around us can perhaps be a kind of prayer in itself.

    And then comes that final question about our one wild and precious life. No matter how often we read it, I don't think it ever becomes an ordinary question.

    I also smiled at what you wrote about being emotional and making no apology for it. Please don't. A warm heart is nothing to apologize for, and perhaps that is one of the reasons people have enjoyed coming back to your blog for so many years.

    Thank you for sharing this beautiful poem and a little of yourself along with it. I hope your Sunday is a lovely one.

    Warm greetings from Germany,
    Anette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anette, thank you for your lovely comment and I am very happy you enjoyed Mary’s poem. She has a way of explaining life in nature that I truly enjoy and you interpreted her words beautifully. It is my great pleasure to share her poetry :) I appreciated your kind words very much. It is one of the many reasons I consider you all my blogging family, meeting new friends like yourself. I am very happy we met here dear Anette. I also send you warm greetings from Virginia :) Denise

      Delete
  21. Excellent blog and thanks for the visit and kind comment. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Diane, I always enjoy visiting you. Thanks very much for stopping by here too and cheers! Denise :)

      Delete
  22. what a lovely poem denise. i love it here...your words and all your images. nice critters today...i hope you and greg are having a wonderful sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie, always a pleasure to share Mary’s poetry and the accompanying photos :) We had a lovely Sunday thank you. I hope you and hubby did too :)

      Delete
  23. "Tell me, what is it you plan to do

    with your one wild and precious life?"

    I ask myself this each day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those two lines are my favorite, and I ask myself the same question :)

      Delete
  24. Bellas imágenes. Buena semana. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias y te deseo también una buena semana :) Te mando un beso.

      Delete
  25. think you express what many people would think about blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Her words float like the grasshopper she describes -- light, fleeting, yet unforgettable. Thank you for reminding us to pause and cherish life’s precious moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully put Veronica :) and it is my pleasure. Thank you!

      Delete
  27. Replies
    1. I hope so my friend, it’s an ongoing process :)

      Delete
  28. I always enjoy your posts. Love this poem too. I don't mind you blathering on.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is a lovely poem, and the pictures are wonderful as well. Did you take them? The detail on the grasshopper is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed it Sandra :) The cricket photos I found online and I agree about the detail :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I will not be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!