Saturday, August 18, 2018

BACK TO THE FAIRY GARDEN

For those of you who have been following me for a while, you know that the first place I stop at when we go for a walk around Meadowlark Botanical Gardens, is the Fairy Garden.  It is to the left of the Visitor Center as you step out their door into the garden.
"Faeries, come take me out of this dull world,
For I would ride with you upon the wind,
Run on the top of the disheveled tide,
And dance upon the mountains like a flame."
~William Butler Yeats, "The Land of Heart's Desire," 1894.


"Fairies glitter my heart with giggles."
~Terri Guillemets~
"The wall is silence, the grass is sleep,
Tall trees of peace their vigil keep,
And the Fairy of Dreams with moth-wings furled
Plays soft on her flute to the drowsy world."
~Ida Rentoul Outhwaite~
"If we opened our minds to enjoyment, we might find tranquil pleasures spread about us on every side.  We might live with the angels that visit us on every sunbeam, and sit with the fairies who wait on every flower."
~Samuel Smiles~
"The little Plumpuppets are fairies of beds;
They have nothing to do but watch sleepyheads;
They turn down the sheets and they tuck you in tight,
And dance on your pillow to wish you good night."
~Christopher Morley~
"When the first baby laughed for the first time, its laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about, and that was the beginning of fairies.  And now when every new baby is born its first laugh becomes a fairy.  So there ought to be one fairy for every boy or girl."
~James Matthew Barrie - Peter Pan~
"Hand in hand, with fairy grace,
Will we sing, and bless this place."
~William Shakespeare - A Midsummer Night's Dream~
"It's easy to believe in magic when you're young.  Anything you couldn't explain was magic then.  It didn't matter if it was science or a fairy tale.  Electricity and elves were both infinitely mysterious and equally possible - elves probably more so."
~Charles de Lint~
"When I sound the fairy call,
Gather here in silent meeting,
Chin to knee on the orchard wall,
Cooled with dew and cherries eating.
Merry, merry, Take a cherry
Mine are sounder, Mine are rounder
Mine are sweeter, For the eater
When the dews fall.  And you'll be fairies all."
~Robert Graves - "Cherry-Time," Fairies and Fusiliers - 1918~
"Soft moss a downy pillow makes, 
And green leaves spread a tent,
Where Faerie fold may rest and 
Sleep until their night is spent.
The bluebird sings a lullaby, 
The firefly gives a light,
The twinkling stars are candles bright, 
Sleep, Fairies all, Good Night."
~Elizabeth T. Dillingham, "A Faery Song"



28 comments:

  1. I love them ALL! There is even a fairy beach with a sand castle! My favorite quote is the Yeats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad, and that beach was brand new. Glad you liked that quote. I'm always hoping there is something in there that appeals :)

      Delete
  2. Charles de Lint was right. And I should revisit some of his books.
    Have you ever thought of making a fairy garden of your own?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have thought about it EC, haven't given up on the idea yet :)

      Delete
  3. Such a pretty Fairy garden Denise Have a blessed Sunday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it Margaret and a blessed Sunday to you also.

      Delete
  4. I like the Shakespeare quote and the photographs are great, especially the last aerial view of the house and eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So happy you enjoyed them Valerie. The brass looking yard art is also new this year.

      Delete
  5. Hello, the fairy houses are so cute. What a great garden! Fun post. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day! Have a great new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could spend all day in this fairy garden and would snap myself silly and need and extra card for the camera...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could take one of my fold-up chairs in there and do the same thing, and snap myself silly :)

      Delete
  7. So magical and lovely, Denise! I must make a visit to Meadowlark. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would enjoy it Martha Ellen. It is in a bit of an upheaval at the moment. They are re-doing one side of the parking lot. They should have it done in a week or so though.

      Delete
  8. Denise, wonderful fairy gardens. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a lovely fairy land you brought us to! I'm frankly touched and appreciative 🌸

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very welcome Cloudia, and I am happy you liked it.

      Delete
  10. There are fairies at the bottom of our garden!
    It's not so very, very far away;
    You pass the gardener's shed
    and you just keep straight ahead
    I do so hope they've come to stay.
    There's a little wood with moss in it and beetles,
    And a little stream that quietly runs through;
    You wouldn't think they'd dare
    to come merrymaking there,
    Well, they do!

    and so on..... Bea Lillie - 1934 A favourite of my mothers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is amazing! I would love to do this. Probably not in fall, thought. The leaves are falling ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I envision a fairy garden in ours but then I say to myself I have too much fun visiting this one. No leaves falling yet but I know it's not going to be long :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!