Monday, June 22, 2026

MONDAY MORNING RECIPE POST - COBB SALAD

Last week I didn’t make any new recipes but I found an old one to share. A bit jumbled up in the photo, but it was very tasty. It has been years since I published the original recipe. The link is no longer working and the website where I found it has disappeared. 



Cobb Salad

Serves 6

1 boneless and skinless chicken breast half
2 large eggs
3 slices turkey bacon
1 head romaine lettuce, stalk and tough out leaves removed and sliced crosswise into 3/4-inch wide
strips (about 6 cups)
1 cup chopped fresh watercress
3 tomatoes, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1-1/2 cups)
1/2 small ripe Hass avocado, peeled, pitted and cut into 1/2 inch pieces (about 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
1 ounce blue cheese, crumbled
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper


Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil.  Add chicken; cook at a bare simmer until it is cooked through, about 15 minutes.  Transfer to a plate and cut into 1/2-inch cubes; set aside.

Place eggs (still in their shells) in a small saucepan; fill with enough cold water to cover by 1 inch.  Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; turn off heat.  Cover; let stand 11 to 12 minutes.  Transfer to a small bowl and cover with cold water; let cool and peel.  Slice eggs in half lengthwise.  Discard one yolk and pass the other through a fine sieve into a small bowl; set aside.  Slice each egg white into six wedges; set aside.

Cook bacon in a medium sauté pan over medium-low heat until browned and fat is rendered, turning once, about 3 minutes per side.  Transfer to drain on paper towels.  Let cool; roughly chop.

Spread lettuce on a service platter.  Arrange chicken, eggs, bacon, watercress, tomatoes, avocado, parsley and chives in separate rows.

Make the vinaigrette: in a small bowl whisk together cheese, vinegar and mustard.  Slowly whisk in the oil.  Season with pepper.  Drizzle vinaigrette over salad and serve immediately.

(Chicken breast and turkey bacon was used for a leaner version of this salad.  If you prefer you can use roasted turkey breast instead of poached chicken.)

Added note: this is a great main dish salad and I thought it was excellent.  The dressing I have used on other salads.  Easy enough to do as it's one of the simplest I have made.  Instead of mixing the blue cheese in the dressing, I put it on the salad.

I couldn't find watercress in our local supermarket. They had some really good baby butter lettuce which was a good substitute.

I didn't use the hard boiled eggs as one of us can't abide the smell of them cooking, texture or the taste.  It was easy enough to leave them off as there were plenty of other ingredients to enjoy. This is a great recipe for you to add your favorite veggies and replace the not so favorite ones.

Not strictly a Cobb Salad by the traditional sense but excellent and one that went into the make-again folder. 


Thanks for looking and 

wishing you all a great week ahead.









51 comments:

  1. this does sound very good! I love parsley and chives and chicken ... Might leave out the bacon tho :)
    cheers
    sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's so much going on with this salad, it could carry itself very well without bacon :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny, trying to get the healthy into our daily menu :)

      Delete
  3. I love a mixed salad like that, and I also like adding strips of smoked salmon to it. It’s perfect for this hot weather!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Have a happy day, hugs, Elke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Salmon would definitely be perfect to add during hot weather. Thank you for the idea Elke. Hugs, Denise

      Delete
  4. Just right for a hot summer's day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum. It looks delicious. I understand about the smell of eggs. I like them but can take them or leave them in a salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A kindred spirit to that person I did not mention, lol! :)

      Delete
  6. That does look nice and the recipe is a good one and also one that can be added to or taken away from as you suggested with the egg...thanks Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, it's very interchangeable :)

      Delete
  7. Good looking salad. Question: what happens to the sieved egg yolk that is set aside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question Marcia, and I forgot to mention that I added everything into the salad, including the extra egg yolk :)

      Delete
  8. This looks like the perfect summer meal! Happy Summer to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ellen and a Happy Summer to you too :)

      Delete
  9. Hello Denise,The salad look delicious! Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  10. Cobb Salad is one of the best things to come out of California!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Denise I would like to make a reservations for a Cobb salad made by you
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know if I ever had an actual cobb salad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I love boiled eggs on my Cobb salad, but I agree place the blue cheese on the salad, not in the dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Cobb salad and never had a recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Jeanie :) and thank you :)

      Delete
  15. If you want to be really lazy, you can leave out the chicken and bacon and substitute canned tuna! It is like a modified Nicoise Salad! We really like it in the summer with fresh tomatoes. Easy and good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's a great short-cut Kay, thank you! I'm going to remember that.

      Delete
  16. A fabulous and most delicious salad.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan, happy you think so :) all the best to you too, Denise

      Delete
  17. You make the most Yummy salads, Denise. This one is so healthy looking. Love everything in it. Happy second day of summer, dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy you think so Sheri, thank you so much! Happy second day of summer to you too dear friend :)

      Delete
  18. Gracias por la receta. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks like a super summer meal. And so pretty you could take it to BBQ or cook out too. Happy start of the new week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, thank you Erika and thank you for that tip too. Wishing you a Happy start to the new week also :)

      Delete
  20. Oh my goodness that looks delicious - come and make one for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandie, I would love to do that if you lived closer :)

      Delete
  21. I love the idea of a make it again folder. That is cool. I get that about eggs. They can be stink bombs. Love that you made the cobb salad work for you guys. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thank you for sharing another delicious Summer salad meal, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Beverley, happy you like the look of it :) thank you!

      Delete
  23. this looks and sounds so good!! i love cobb salad and often get it when we eat out. for some reason, i guess i am lazy, it always seems like a lot of work!! the tomatoes looks so ripe and fresh in this picture!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie :) No, not lazy at all. It’s just nice to go out and order it. Come to think of it, I don’t remember seeing it on any menus lately.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I will not be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!