Tuesday, June 23, 2026

GOLD FINCH AND A GREY CATBIRD

I am sharing the birds we saw at one of the many botanical gardens we visited. These are from my archives. Walking along the bird trail we saw several Goldfinches flitting from tree to tree. It was hard to keep up with them, but they were chirping away merrily, and it was like listening to a beautiful symphony. We found a bench to sit on to enjoy the show they put on. Above is a male Goldfinch and below is a female.


Just across the path from where we were sitting was a small stream and it was bathtime. Very entertaining to watch a bird take a bath.


This one looked like she was watching her reflection but was about to take a drink.


Moments later she flew up into the trees when other humans came along to see what we were so interested in. They quickly moved on as we waited to see what would show next.


We didn't have to wait long, a fledgling Gray Catbird appeared.


It is a medium-sized songbird in the mockingbird family, often found hiding in dense thickets and shrubs.


Young Catbirds typically leave the nest between 8 to 10 days after hatching. By this point they have reached 80% of their adult body.


Even after leaving the nest, fledglings have "clumsy flight" and remain heavily reliant on their parents for food and protection for an additional 12 to 14 days.


Canada Geese are everywhere and further along on our walk there was a flock resting underneath the trees. It was a very nice cool and shady spot, and we again sat on a bench close by. 


After observing quietly, we watched as one by one they dipped into the small lake and swam gracefully away.


All in all, a lovely few hours watching the birds.

Thanks for stopping by and I hope
your day is a great one.





54 comments:

  1. I have never seen a fledgling Catbird! He is so adorable!!! What a treat to get to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we have seen one since Ginny :) It was a treat and they are adorable!

      Delete
  2. You were able to observe some beautiful bird species. Such lovely scenes—I love it!
    Thanks for sharing, Denise!
    Have a good day, hugs, Elke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Elke :) Glad you enjoyed. You have a good day also, hugs, Denise

      Delete
  3. They are absolutely stunning, and you did fantastic photo work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very sweet of you to say, thank you so much my friends :)

      Delete
  4. It's lovely to spend time communing with Nature. Pretty birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite pastime :) I agree, they were very pretty birds.

      Delete
  5. A catbird, my, never heard of one of those Denise, will look it up. The finches are sweet and enjoy their bath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catbirds are very good mimics too Margaret, they can copy any number of sounds, car door alarms for instance. I love the goldfinches, well let's face it, I love all birds :)

      Delete
  6. Wonderful photos of the Goldfinch, the Catbird and the geese! Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, much appreciated. You take care and enjoy your day also :)

      Delete
  7. I used to get a lot of finches around here when I kept my feeders filled. They're so pretty with that bright yellow color. I've never seen a catbird. You had a good bird watching session.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're so sweet looking. Those little itty bitty eyes. Great shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were very sweet looking and very entertaining. Thank you Ivy :)

      Delete
    2. Outside today there were a BUNCH of ants. Also fun to look at. Not sure how the photos came out. Will look at them later in the week. Fun to shoot nature.

      Delete
  9. “Clumsy flight” is exactly why people should keep their marauding killer cats indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully I haven't seen one of your marauding cats around here. I do worry about the occasional hawk though. Thanks David :)

      Delete
  10. Not only have I never seen a Catbird, I have never heard of them! Listening to bird song is a pleasant way to pass time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very popular in our area Sandra. I remember being surprised and delighted the first time I saw one.Totally agree on bird song.

      Delete
  11. These are fabulous photos Denise. I have never seen baby catbirds before. They're actually quite cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erika, I think this one was my first baby catbird too and yes, very cute in their straggly feathers.

      Delete
  12. Oh,, that catbird is darling. The finches are always striking, but that little catbird has such great personality!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie, it sure was and I agree :)

      Delete
  13. It is always fun to sit quietly and watch the entertainment birds can provide for free. Lovely photos of all the birds you saw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just? One of my all-time favorite entertainments. Thank you Beverley, much appreciated.

      Delete
  14. Denise,
    Such wonderful photos!! I usually see robins, blue jays, finches and an occasional red cardinal and his mate in my bird bath in my small back yard....Thanks so much for all your visits and your sweet words which I truly appreciate!!
    Hugs,
    Deb
    Debbie-Dabble Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Debbie, I much appreciate you too. Always enjoy my visits to your blog. Hugs, Denise :)

      Delete
  15. All of the streets in our neighborhood have bird names. Supposedly birds that frequent our nieghborhood. One of the streets in Catbird and I know about their songs but don't think I have ever seen one. I so enjoyed your photos and love how you are able to get such sweet pictures of the birds!! Happy Tuesday to you. Enjoying some much needed rain today!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How interesting Jennifer, I like the idea of having streets with bird names. As for mine it was a case of being in the right place at the right time to get these photos :) I felt very fortunate that day. Happy Tuesday to you also and we are having the same kind of weather. I went out in it this morning and I must admit, I do enjoy a rainy day :)

      Delete
  16. Very very nice showing of all the gorgeous birds we have around us
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you found it so Cecilia and thank you so much :) Hugs, Denise

      Delete
  17. They are so cute. One day I will have a camera or phone that is able to catch clear up close pictures like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary and I will look forward to your photos. More often than not I have to use my old brain box for a camera, as often I will see something and not be able to get a photo. I always say, oh well, it was a memory, lol!

      Delete
  18. Love your up close and great shots of these sweet birds, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Ellen, I appreciate that :)

      Delete
  19. Lovely photographs Denise ... definitely a lovely few hours spent watching the birds.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jan :) it was a very memorable few hours ago All the best, Denise

      Delete
  20. Lindo pajarito. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias mi amiga. Eran muy lindos. Te mando un beso :)

      Delete
  21. awesome captures!! why is it that the boys are always prettier than the girls?? i get a lot of catbirds at my feeders at home, i love the sound they make!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie, yes, how is that? How great you get them too. They are just so cute :)

      Delete
  22. These photos are fantastic. Where did you go to see all those birds and get those catches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were a couple of miles down south and went to a garden we knew about. This has been a few years ago now : ) Thank you so much Sandie.

      Delete
  23. I enjoyed bird watching with you. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have made my day Diane. Thank you so much for:)

      Delete
  24. Nice photos! I saw a catbird here today, in my pear tree.
    The first photo of the geese is so serene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, I enjoyed the setting where we saw the geese, could have stayed there for hours truth be told :)

      Delete
  25. It is one of the most beautiful photo collages I have ever seen. The birds are captured with such incredible detail that you cannot help but feel a sense of awe. They are a small world of their own, alive and full of activity.I recently heard a question that was half-joking and half-serious if birds did not exist on Earth, would humans have ever dreamed of flying?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. That is a very interesting thought but I am thankful the birds didn’t disappear with the rest of their dinosaur cousins. Would we indeed have dreamed of flying without them?

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I will not be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!