Father and son got together today (the 19th). They came across these two murals on their travels. I said I would post them today.
The first one you can see is Gregg standing in front of the Late Great Jackie Robinson, who sadly passed away at the young age of 52 in 1972. His wife Rachel just celebrated her 104th birthday not so long ago.
She started the Jackie Robinson Foundation in his honor and to date has provided support for more than 2,200 students, has a 98% graduation rate and has given more than $121 million in grants. You can read more about Jackie at this link and you can read all about Rachel Robinson at this one.
Many recognize Spiderman of course with Jackie looking on beyond the rail.
Both murals are part of the exact same mural, as I read online. Local artists Sandra Payne and Tim Knepp painted them together as a single cohesive piece commissioned by ‘Collector’s World’ in Annandale, Virginia.
We had a great time with our son and daughter-in-law last night (the 18th). As mentioned in a couple of posts back, it was our son's 47th birthday and we all went out for a nice meal. I am happy to say that the staff at the restaurant we went to, and also the meal was great. More on that later.
Have a wonderful day
and thanks for dropping by.


I wait to read about the meal! I think the Jackie Robinson mural is done by the most talented artist.
ReplyDeleteI'm a little late putting the meal post together but it will be coming soon :) I agree about the mural Ginny.
DeleteWonderful murals—so we may remember.
ReplyDeleteIt brings me such joy when foundations help people get an education.
Those beautiful moments with our children are truly unforgettable. Wishing him many happy returns; may he be healthy and happy, and may you take great pride in him!
Hello Katerina, I think so too and yes, so that we may remember. Beautifully worded :) I also agree about these foundations to help people with their education. Giving back is a noble gift. Time with our children is the best of times isn't it? A sweet comment, we have always been very proud of him. Thank you :)
DeleteTwo magnificent murals! That’s wonderful about the foundation! His wife has reached a truly impressive age!
ReplyDeleteHugs, Elke
Thank you dear Elke, I agree on both counts :) Hugs, Denise
DeleteThese two murals a lovely and it's good you all have a nice meal Denise.
ReplyDeleteThank you Margaret, much appreciated :)
DeleteThank you very much for the lovely wall art; I’ve also been introduced to a personality who was new to me.
ReplyDeleteIt’s wonderful that you had such a lovely family celebration—happy birthday to your son, and best wishes to you all.
Warm regards, Viola
Greetings Viola :) you are very welcome and I'm so glad you liked this. I am happy to introduce Jackie to you. Thank you, it was a lovely time together and I appreciate your birthday greetings and best wishes. Warm regards to you also, Denise
DeleteA wonderful birthday meal and awesome murals. Take care, enjoy your day!
ReplyDeleteThank you Eileen, happy you thought them so. You take care and enjoy your day also.
DeleteFew of us can imagine the kind of courage Jackie Robinson had.
ReplyDeleteI couldn't agree more with you David, he was a trailblazer, an amazing role model :)
DeleteThose murals are awesome.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear your sons birthday dinner was good
Thank you Ann, we had a wonderful time. I thought those murals were amazing.
DeleteThe iconic Jackie Robinson who started his career in Montreal with the Royals before moving on to Brooklyn. My mother did take me to a Royals game when I was very young, but Jackie had moved on by them.
ReplyDeleteNow I didn't know that John, how wonderful! Thank you for sharing that memory too. Much appreciated :)
DeleteDear Denise :)
ReplyDeleteIs the title of your post the title of a song,...it rang a bell? Before the temperature rises I'm visiting you now early morning but with regret I won't be visiting again until this exausting heat subsides. The murals are so well done, and its good to know about the foundation which helps studants get a good education.with such a large donation. I'm glad you enjoyed the family outing and that the restaurant's service and food met with your approval and was a success. Happy Belated birthay to your son and Many Happy Returns.
All the best to you Denise and your family.
Sonjia.
Dear Sonjia and yes, it is the title of a song, "Take Me Out To The Ballgame", which is a very famous one over here. The heat in your part of the world sounds horrendous. I do hope you are able to stay as cool as you can. Glad you liked the murals and learning about the foundation. Thank you for the birthday greetings to our son, which is very much appreciated. All the best to you and your family also dear friend :)
DeleteThose murals are truly works of art.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you Sandra :)
DeleteWonderful mural and legend. Wow...that is a long time to be a widow! Happy new day to you!
ReplyDeleteThank you Ellen and it is indeed. Happy new day to you also :)
DeleteGlad you had a good visit. Love the pictures of the murals. I didn't know Jackie Robinson's wife was still living. WOW 104! That's mind blowing. Sounds like you had a lovely Birthday celebration.
ReplyDeleteSandy's Space
Hi Sandy, Rachel is a great age. She sounds like a wonderful lady, as was her husband. We did have a splendid birthday celebration. Thanks so much :)
DeleteWonderful to see folks giving back!
ReplyDeleteIt certainly is, thanks Jenn :)
DeleteWhat a fun father son outing. I like the murals...I can hardly draw stickmen on paper.
ReplyDeleteI am in awe of those who are such artistic folks
Hugs cecilia
I am in awe of these artists too Cecilia, their canvas is huge!!! It always amazes me that they can paint something as large and as well as they do on a wall. Hugs, Denise :)
DeleteThese are good! Also nice the boys got together.
ReplyDeleteThanks Christine, I agree on both counts :)
DeleteSo many of our youngsters have no idea who Jackie Robinson was so it's nice that you told something about him.
ReplyDeleteI'm very happy they came across him. He certainly needs to be remembered for all the good he did, his wife Rachel too :)
DeleteThank you for sharing these wonderful murals and the history/information about them.
ReplyDeleteSo pleased you enjoyed the birthday celebrations.
All the best Jan
You are very welcome Jan, so glad you enjoyed and thank you, we had a lovely celebration :) All the best, Denise
DeleteLindos murales. Te mando un beso.
ReplyDeleteMe alegra mucho que los hayas disfrutado, gracias :) Te mando un beso.
DeleteFantastic mural!
ReplyDeleteI agree, thanks Jeanie :)
DeleteHappy birthday to your son.
ReplyDeleteThank you Red, much appreciated :)
DeleteThe murals are great. Were they done by the same artist?
ReplyDeleteThanks Sandra, after your comment I did another search and will be adding that information :)
DeleteI don’t get to Annandale very often, but if I do go back there, I’ll try to remember to look up those murals.
ReplyDeleteI know you will enjoy them Linda :)
DeleteA lovely legacy...Happy Birthday to your son too.
ReplyDeleteI agree and thank you so much for your birthday greetings :)
DeleteThose two mural are fantastic. Thank you for taking photos of them, Denise.
ReplyDeleteYou are very welcome. I will pass on your thanks to our son. He took these photos.:)
Delete