We were at the Garden Center on July 28th. I was looking for pots to place on the deck out back. I found a couple of geraniums but no additional pots. Still, it was fun to look around.
They always have two old trucks on display, always in different spots each growing season.
You would think with their great display of planters...
that I would be able to find something to take home. I noticed all those lovely bird baths of course...
but as for the planters, couldn't find one that said 'take me home!'
It didn't stop me from having fun looking and I had a great time doing that.
I did purchase a couple of pots of red geraniums to go on the deck out back. I still have some work to do out there, but between the rain and the heat, I am a little behind on things.
I nearly bought a pot of hot peppers because they looked so pretty, and then I read the label. The name and the flames put me off. Chef Jeff sounds really friendly but the name, Pepper Rattlesnake Hatch, and the label saying “hot” with flames on top, I changed my mind faster than a flea could jump.
I had one issue with my eyes a few years ago when I was handling ones we bought, thinking they were mild. I was in the hurt locker with my eyes for hours. Never forgot and won’t go down that road again. I would need a hazmat suit!
So, no hot peppers but am loving my much safer geraniums. Anyone got any tips for care? Firsthand experience is much better than any other, and I would be grateful
All for now. There will be another post about the garden center sometime.
As always, thanks for stopping by
and enjoy your day.
I love seeing your garden center! I think once I even asked you to post it! I love the trucks and the beautiful Crepe Myrtle. What an awful name for a hot pepper!! So many pots! But if you're like me, you had a specific color, size, and shape in mind.
ReplyDeleteHappy to hear that Ginny, thank you :) I would love another crepe myrtle but we have two large ones, in the back and the front of our house. The name definitely put me off but I was drawn to the plant itself. It would look even prettier when the peppers turn red. Lots and lots of pots and yes, I am like you :)
DeleteIt’s a good thing you didn’t get those hot peppers... I steer clear of them too.
ReplyDeleteThose old trucks look great—it’s quite the garden center setup. I used to enjoy browsing there too, but the one near us closed down, and the other one isn't exactly great—it sells more tools than plants.
Your pot of geraniums looks lovely.
Happy day , hugs Elke
Hello dear Elke :) yes, it's a good thing says I with a smile. I learned my lesson :) I'm sorry your garden center closed, they are fun places to browse around. Thank you so much, glad you liked the geraniums. I am enjoying them. You have a happy day too dear friend, hugs Denise
DeleteI love how they display the old trucks.
ReplyDeleteThey are wonderful, I love them too :)
DeleteHot peppers, not for me either.
ReplyDeleteLooks a nice garden center and so many pots but I do know what you mean about not buying one, Denise.
Nope, never again and yet I like things with a little heat and sometimes make meals. However, they don't have the kind of hot - like peppers - that you have to touch. Comes out of a bottle. All that being said, I don't like things too much on fire :) As for those pots, I get a bit overwhelmed with so many choices at the garden center. That's why I like photos so that I can choose at least the type of pot I want. They have to fit in with what I have in mind for the deck. It could take a while :)
DeleteYo también tengo bastates plantas en mis patios. Ahora las tengo que regar bastante a menudo, por las altas temperaturas que hace.
ReplyDeleteSaludos.
DeleteHe oído hablar del calor intenso que hace por donde vives. Tengo familia en Alemania con la que hablo a menudo y me han contado el calor que hace allí. Espero que logres mantenerte fresco y que estés bien. Te deseo un muy feliz fin de semana. Saludos, Denise.
Sometimes there's just too much choice, but your geraniums are beautiful. Dead-heading will encourage more growth, and they will last well into the autumn. We take ours indoors for the winter.
ReplyDeleteHello Janice, I will remember to dead-head. That's one of my jobs today :) Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.
DeleteWow they have a lot of pots to choose from. I would be too overwhelmed by all of them and wouldn’t be able to decide. The geraniums are really pretty. I would have stayed away from the peppers. I don’t like hot things.
ReplyDeleteIt was hard and still trying to decide, even with the photos I have :) I like hot things, not super-hot though and definitely not touching peppers again, lol!
DeleteSometimes too much choice is a bad thing. Like the fourteen page menu in a restaurant.
ReplyDeleteTotally agree David :)
DeleteLove your geraniums, such a bright red. Fertilizer, sunshine, water and dead head is all I did with mine. They were healthy and lovely all summer and into the autumn.
ReplyDeleteWhen I had a big garden, cuttings were taken and brought in for the winter and I had lovely plants for the following year.
So glad friend, happy you enjoyed and thank you for all the useful tips :)
DeleteYour deck area looks pretty. My tolerance for 'hot' had diminished over time, so no hot peppers for me. I have a geranium I bring in every winter and I used to, long ago, bring them into my basement over winter. Otherwise, sun, water and deadhead.
ReplyDeleteThanks Sandra, and for the tips on my geraniums, much appreciated. It's a strange thing but I seem to be eating more hot food nowadays. Not all the time mind you. I go from bland to hot and anywhere in between depending on the meal :)
DeleteA lovely visit to the garden centre.
ReplyDeleteThank you Christine, it was much enjoyed :)
DeleteGarden centers get better every year. They have may more products.
ReplyDeleteThat they do Red. A lot of fun to browse around :)
DeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteYour flowers are pretty! The garden center does have lots of pots to choose, Most look very heavy. Enjoy your day and happy weekend.
Thank you Eileen and yes, they can be very heavy :) You enjoy your day and have a happy weekend too :)
DeleteFirst Denise we had your delicious cucumber, ranch dressing and bacon salad last night it was exquisite. NY strips were on sale at the store this week. When we finished supper Bryan said wow what a wonderful supper and he loved the salad. Said that would be a $50.00 dollar a plate supper at a restaurant.
ReplyDeleteWe love garden shops and vintage trucks and of course RED geraniums
Hugs cecilia
That's wonderful Cecilia, I am so pleased you and Bryan enjoyed it. The NY strips sound a very tasty addition too. Glad you enjoyed the garden center too. I always look forward to going back some time :)
DeleteI,like the tricks on display, and your pot of geraniums are lovely.
ReplyDeleteThank you Linda, I appreciate that :)
DeleteHave a nice day.
ReplyDeleteThank you Anne, you too :)
DeleteSorry about your eyes. Been there and done that too. What a lovely selection of pots.
ReplyDeleteThank you Ivy, very kind of you. I don't touch fresh hot peppers with a barge pole these days :)
Delete🩷
DeleteMy heart goes pitty pat seeing all of those colorful planters....especially the cobalt blue! Maybe I'll indulge in some new plants this Fall! Hugs!
ReplyDeleteThey were pretty Diane, I loved the color too. I look forward to seeing your new plants when you get them. Hugs, Denise
DeleteI used to be able to eat really HOT food, but now spicy food hurt my stomach..those planters are pretty nice.
ReplyDeleteThank you Angie and I'm sorry you had to give up your spicy food :)
DeleteGreat photos Denise. I do love a good visit to the garden centres. So many insects to see and photograph on all the flowers. And usually they do a good coffee as well :-D
ReplyDeleteThank you Ananka :) they're fun places aren't they? Oh yes, love everything that a garden center brings for me to photograph :) Unfortunately this place does not have a coffee shop. They do have one of those coffee urns that you can help yourself to. I've never made use of it yet though.
DeleteIt's hard for something to look better than a red geranium.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you there John, they are a beautiful flower :)
DeleteCeramic planters are best. I got some heavy duty plastic ones, and even though they were full of soil and Plants, they blew over in a storm.
ReplyDeleteThat's a good point Linda, I didn't think of that but I will now. Thank you :)
DeleteI always enjoy a visit to a local garden centre.
ReplyDeleteI do like your red geraniums.
Good wishes for the coming weekend.
All the best Jan
Thank you Jan, I've been enjoying them too :) I wish you the same and all the best. Denise
DeleteLindas flores. Te mando un beso.
ReplyDeleteSiempre me alegra que los disfrutes :) ¡Gracias! Que tengas un feliz fin de semana; te mando un beso.
DeleteThese days I always put on gloves before handling any peppers. That pop of red looks real nice on your deck!
ReplyDeleteThat's a great idea Ellen and I had actually put on gloves before handling, but something got lost in translation from my gloves to my eyes :))) I learned my lesson to not rub my eyes under any circumstances when handling hot peppers. A valuable lesson! Not that I will ever handle hot peppers ever, ever again, lol!
DeleteSo many pots lined up--it would take me ages to choose! Your geraniums are a perfect pick though, bright and cheerful. I’d have skipped those fiery peppers too.
ReplyDeleteThank you Veronica :) I very much appreciate you saying so.
Deleteooh i love that yellow truck! Friends are often surprised when i tell them how much i love a great car or truck :=)
ReplyDeletesherry
Hi Sherry, it's wonderful isn't it? My hubby always laughs and good naturedly teases me about my liking for trucks :)
DeleteThat's a ton of planters! I saw a couple I'd consider!
ReplyDeleteHi Jeanie, that's great and thank you :)
DeleteMaybe I should have skipped this post because all those blue pots...be still my heart. Smile. I would have a hard time by passing those. Thanks for taking me along. It was good to have a moment of lust (for the pots) and not being there to have to fight the temptation.
ReplyDeleteThat’s lovely, now I know you love blue pots and you are very welcome Erika. It makes me happy that you enjoyed it all. I am going to go back soon. More temptations :)
DeleteI love all those blue pots at the garden centre. Shame that there wasn't one that felt right for your garden.
ReplyDeleteThat chilli plant would have been too hot for me as well. Mild is the way to go for me.
Thank you Beverley, I haven’t given up. Maybe next time :)
Delete