Wednesday, July 29, 2026

RANDOM PHOTO - A HUMMINGBIRD ON A CANNA LILY

Tiny but mighty, a phrase which I often hear used when describing the hummingbird. They are the only birds that can fly backwards and completely upside down. Their wings rotate in a figure-eight pattern, operating like helicopter rotors to allow stationary hovering. They can beat its wings 50 to 80 times per second. They glide at 30 miles per hour and reach 60 miles per hour during mating dives. They are among the most evolutionarily unique creatures in the animal kingdom. They are native exclusively to the Western Hemisphere, with over 300 distinct species distributed across North and South America. 

 I couldn't get a definite ID on this hummingbird. Two possible suggestions are an Anna's hummingbird or that of a Black-chinned hummingbird. If anyone can verify with certainty, please let me know. It is sipping the nectar from an African arrow/Indian root/Purple arrowroot/Edible canna or Canna lily. All names may apply. Both bird and flower were seen while walking around the San Diego Zoo in California. Another old one from 2013.

Thanks for looking and enjoy your day.






52 comments:

  1. You took this photo? It's amazing! It is almost impossible to snap a hummer, as they move at lightning speed most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my long-lens camera back in those days Ginny, and a steadier hand :)

      Delete
  2. I love these hummingbirds, and you took a wonderful photo—we don't have them where I live!Thanks for the info..
    Have a happy day! Hugs, Elke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful Elke and you are very welcome. I am glad you enjoyed my photograph. You have a happy day also. Hugs, Denise

      Delete
  3. That is a gorgeous photo of the lily and the bird, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, very please you liked them :)

      Delete
  4. Amazing! I think it posed for you. It might be the female of one of the hummingbirds. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for identifying it as a female Linda. I remember walking down the hill and it was another moment where I couldn't believe what I was seeing. She hovered long enough for me to get this photo. Still silently thanking this pretty hummer for the memory all these years later :)

      Delete
  5. Wunderbarer Kolibri... weißt du, dass eine Orchideenart auch Kolibri genannt wird... sie sind wunderschön wie der Vogel :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wie wunderbar! Das wusste ich nicht. Danke fürs Teilen. Ich freue mich, das jetzt zu wissen. Ich werde online nach dieser Orchidee suchen.

      Delete
  6. I have no clue what type of hummingbird this is but that's a beautiful photo. Interesting facts about them as well

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a female Black-chinned Hummingbird. As I think about it, I don’t think I have ever seen a hummingbird feeding from a lily. There is always something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is indeed and thank you for the ID David :)

      Delete
  8. Love the photos...I love hummingbirds!
    hugs
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Donna, I get to see them but rarely :) Thank you and sending hugs, Denise

      Delete
  9. Great shot of the hummingbird Denise! Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen, I appreciate that :) You take care and have a great day also.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful little bird. They are the helicopters of the avian world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So beautiful.
    rkrsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you think so, thank you Regine, hugs, Denise

      Delete
  12. I was quite old before I saw or at least noticed my first hummer. The beauty just about moved me to tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that emotion John, very much so :)

      Delete
  13. Oh, capturing a hummingbird in mid-hover is an absolute masterclass in patience, and I love how your keen eye always spots these incredible little feats of evolutionary engineering. especially since their figure-eight wing mechanics have literally inspired modern micro-air vehicle design! It is fascinating how something so tiny can pull off 60 miles per hour during a mating dive, and pairing that biological wonder with the vibrant, multi-named canna lily makes for such a rich botanical snapshot, especially against the backdrop of the San Diego Zoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words Melody. Very much appreciated :) They certainly are little miracles.

      Delete
  14. Those Gems with wings are absolutely adored here. We celebrate their arrival each year in our house with a happy humming bird dance.
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would join you in that happy hummingbird dance :) hugs, Denise

      Delete
  15. I love hummingbirds. They are so cute, and fast.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a lovely photograph.
    Happy Wednesday.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you think so Jan :) thank you and all the best to you too, Denise

      Delete
  17. we have very few hummingbirds here. I think we have only two species.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely! :) I see them occasionally at the gardens but my eyesight isn’t as good so it is a rare time I do see them.

      Delete
  18. You are teaching us about hummingbirds and the photo is excellent. It was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandie, I am always happy to share what I find :) Sometimes you’re in the right place at the right time.

      Delete
  19. Lovely! I haven’t gotten any hummingbird pictures this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda and I hope you see one before the summer ends :)

      Delete
  20. wow What a gorgeous shot! Thank you for sharing it, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  21. They are so much fun to watch and I love their buzzing sound.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think hummingbirds are hard to photograph. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Replies
    1. Thank you Erika, I appreciate that very much :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I will not be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!