
I have shared these before but as it has been a long time, some of you may not have seen them and those who have, I hope you don't mind me showing them again. The information below this post was added yesterday.
Going through our old photos the other day, I came across the smiling lady again. I had always wanted to identify who the mural painter was. Try as I might at the time and many, many searches online later, I never found out who it was. On a whim I decided to try again and technology being what it is, I found the painter's name.
Today's photos are from our road trip across country in 2013. We were driving through Arizona and in the distance, I saw what I thought was a smiling face looking up at all those clouds floating by. It really was a phenomenal day for sky-watching.
I thought my eyes were playing tricks but as we got closer, I could see very clearly.
When a person smiles at me or I see a person smiling at others, I find myself smiling too, and this lovely mural painted on a building out in the desert, had the same effect. I could also see there were what I thought were wolves on the side. No, not wolves. The following is the only explanation I could find, this time.
"This painting depicts a local Navajo resident named Stephanie, whose portrait was blown up larger-than-life and wheat-pasted onto an abandoned roadside building - or home - locally known as "JR's House". Because the artist, Chip Thomas, often incorporates local wildlife, livestock, and community members into his expansive desert murals, it is easy for travelers to blend different installations together in memory."
This fabulous art is called "Stephanie on JR's House."
As we drove through that area we came across other buildings with different scenes on each wall.
This artist brought us great joy as we traveled on this very long road, and we were mesmerized.
The old buildings had been turned into incredible works of art, but my favorite will always be the smiling face looking up at that beautiful sky.
Chip Thomas is the artist of the smiling lady. He is a family physician, born in 1957 in Raleigh, North Carolina. He arrived at the Navajo Nation in 1987 to fulfil a medical scholarship obligation and stayed for over three decades, transforming his clinical practice and documentary photography into an impactful public art movement. You can read more about him here.
This particular art piece is located on an abandoned building within the Navajo Nation in Arizona. The piece is part of The Painted Desert Project, a public art initiative that connects street artists with communities on the Western Agency of the Navajo Nation in Arizona. (I don't know how long any of these websites will remain current. Years down the road they sometimes 'go away', but at the time of writing, you can see other artists on this project at this link.) The project was brought about for the aim of healing and community connection. The first link in this paragraph has the whole story and it is worth a read. Several links have been provided throughout my post.)
Finding out all this information while climbing down into one of my curiosity rabbit holes I fell into after all these years, was a delightful, mind-opening experience.
Thanks for visiting my post about Stephanie,
Chip and the beautiful State of Arizona.
I hope your day is a great one.
Such a beautiful landscape. In the paintings, it makes it more so.
ReplyDeleteI love the photos and stories of the people. Have a good day.
ReplyDeleteVery nice Denise, something different to see as you traveled along.
ReplyDeleteI can imagine what a treat it was to see these murals on these desert roads. Hooray for being able to find out the artist after all these years. I love to do research after the fact for places and things we see. Hope you have a lovely Tuesday.
ReplyDeleteI love both of them. Turning a bleak lonesome prairie into the background for amazing art.
ReplyDeleteThe murals are amazing. It is good to come across them while travelling through a desert.
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful that you finally managed to find the artist and more information about him. The artwork is fabulous, I'm sure many people have admired it as they've driven by.
ReplyDelete