Sunday, October 4, 2026

HAPPY SUNDAY EVERYONE - AN OLD FAVORITE - THE FIRST MATE

The First Mate

At the bow he sits proudly,
With sunlight on his fur,
A little captain’s helper
With wind and water fair.

He doesn’t need a compass,
He doesn’t need a chart,
He simply knows the way to go...
He navigates by heart.

The little boat goes skipping
Across the sparkling blue,
And every wave that greets them
Will be adventure new.

His captain holds the tiller,
And he keeps watch ahead,
With salty breeze around him
And sunshine overhead.

No sailor could be happier,
No First Mate more sincere,
For anywhere his best friend goes
Is where he wants to steer.

So onward through the ripples,
Companions, side by side...
A man, his faithful dog,
And one delightful ride.

And should you ask that furry mate
What makes a perfect day?
He’d say, “A boat…my best friend…
And waves along the way.” 
Thank’s for looking,
have a great Sunday and I wish you all 
Fair Winds and Following Seas.







36 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, this is adorable! And you found the cutest photo that goes perfectly with it. Did YOU write this poem?? If so, you are a genius poet!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, I found the photo on my old blog quite a while ago and started to write a poem back then. It has been a long while in the making. I wrote a couple of lines here and there while looking at this photo. Didn’t like what I wrote and started again. So, in bits and dabs over several months it gradually started coming together. I really am not a poet, I just play at it when the muse takes me, which isn’t that often, lol! I love reading poems as you well know because we are alike that way :) I really appreciate your sweet comment. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  2. Good poem about the first mate, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best friend is the captain of this boat—haha, that is so sweet, and the poem about it is too. Wishing you a wonderful Sunday! Hugs, Elke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elke :) sweet of you to say. I wish you a wonderful Sunday also, hugs Denise

      Delete
  4. Lovely photograph and poem.
    Have a very happy Sunday.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jan, so happy you enjoyed. Thank you and I wish you the same :) All the best, Denise

      Delete
  5. Such a sweet and heart warming picture! The poem is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely poem. My doggie loved to be at the bow of our boat at Lake of the Ozarks. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda, and what a great image you gave me with your dog on your own boat :) loved that!

      Delete
  7. What a great photos. I can't help wondering who's happier, the man or the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now that is one happy pair of MEN
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn’t have put it better Cecilia, thank you! Hugs, Denise

      Delete
  9. This is such a wonderful photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jeanie! It took me a second look to see how very much I like it too :)

      Delete
  10. Tolles Foto. Viele Grüße vom Norddeutschen Wattenmeer.
    Cuxseefalke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vielen Dank und herzlich willkommen! Ich freue mich über Ihren Besuch. Herzliche Grüße, Denise :)

      Delete
  11. You are a poet! Really, I love it, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind of you to say, thank you so much Sandra :)

      Delete
  12. Did you write that - excellent - and the photo is perfect. Cutie pie too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Over several months as it turned out :) Thank you Sandie and that sweet little dog certainly was a cutie pie.

      Delete
  13. That is the cutest first mate ever. I hope the captain doesn't make him swab the decks. :) Hope it was a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too Erika and thanks for the smile :) I had a super weekend thank you. I hope yours did also.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I will not be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!