Friday, October 9, 2026

A POEM



The rain is raining all around
It falls on field and tree.
It rains on the umbrellas here,
And on the ships at sea. 

Rain
By 







One of the most famous four-line poems by this Scottish author was first published in his 1885 collection, A Child’s Garden of Verses. Despite its extreme simplicity, the poem was highly praised for using a child’s perspective to connect a small, local observation to a vast, global landscape.



34 comments:

  1. It can be simple, too, and yet so beautiful together with the image.
    It’s been raining and storming where I am, too, since yesterday, hugs Elke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elke :) very true. I hope your rain and storms don’t stay, hugs, Denise

      Delete
  2. I love it!! and I love this image of the tall houses in the rain with the fall trees. I have a little picture that looks similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Ginny :) the image really appealed to me and I have always enjoyed his poetry.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Very happy you think so Margaret, thank you :)

      Delete
  4. “Treasure Island” remains one of the most influential books of my childhood. I had never heard of this poem, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember Treasure Island well and understand completely.

      Delete
  5. What a sweet poem and I love the picture to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the rain poem Denise! Take care, enjoy your day and the weekend ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad Eileen :) Thank you and I wish you the same.

      Delete
  7. Dear Denise :)
    I lost my earlier comment so I'll try again. The sweet image is perfect to describe the poem which will stir the imagination of children who read it. I have always loved the simplicity of this R. L. Stevenson poem.
    All the best
    Sonjia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to hear from you Sonjia :) and thank you for coming back after your comment was lost. This has happened to me on occasion, it’s very frustrating. It is a wonderful poem isn’t it? All the best to you too, Denise

      Delete
  8. When I was a child somebody gave me a Child's Garden of Verses. Mom read the poems to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful that your mother read poetry to you Red. She sounds very special :)

      Delete
  9. My favorite of Stevenson is "Oh how I love to go up in a swing ..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that poem on here somewhere Marcia. It’s another favorite :)

      Delete
  10. Denise I remember that poem but hadn't thought of it in ages.
    Thank you for reminding me
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful image and poem.
    Have a lovely Friday and weekend.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was lovely. Thanks for sharing it and Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Ivy. Happy Weekend to you too :)

      Delete
  13. Lindo poema. Te mando un beso y te deseo un buen fin de semana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me alegra que hayas disfrutado del poema. Muchas gracias. También te deseo un muy feliz fin de semana y te envío un beso.

      Delete
  14. I’ve always admired how Stevenson could take something as ordinary as rain and make it feel universal. Reading this brings back memories of childhood days spent listening to rain against the window. Thank you for sharing it, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pleasure Veronica and how wonderful. I am happy it evoked these happy childhood memories :)

      Delete
  15. I love the girl and the dog - so cute together.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I will not be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!