Our son came over this morning (Sunday, 9-13-26). He and our dear daughter-in-law were in California last week, so we had a nice catch up today.
They went to the new Lucas Museum of Narrative Art located in Exposition Park in South Los Angeles, California. Their website can be found here. This museum was entirely self-funded by filmmaker George Lucas and his wife, businesswoman Mellody Hobson.
George Lucas went to the University of Southern California (he attended the School of Cinematic Arts), which is immediately adjacent to the museum.
Below is a photo of son looking outside at the park below. You can actually see some Star Wars characters...
I asked him if I could share a few photos they took and he happily agreed, so thank you son. It truly is hard to believe that this building took the place of an asphalt parking lot.
He gave us a show transferring photos from his phone to our TV, and it was fun looking at those and hearing about their experiences of not only sights but the people they met. We enjoy listening to them very much and will look forward to getting together with our daughter-in-law next and hearing hers also. Below is a view of the Los Angeles skyline from the museum.
It is a 5-story, 300,000 square foot structure and not entirely all about Star Wars. It is, in fact, "the world's first major institution dedicated exclusively to the history of story and evolution of visual storytelling."
The building looks like a spaceship, as I thought and so many, many others apparently. But son explained that the renowned Chinese architect, Ma Yansong's inspiration, came from cloud formations, light and the local tree canopy.
I read later, when the general public and the media compared this futuristic structure to a Star Wars spaceship, Ma Yansong clarified that his design philosophy focuses on organic nature. He envisioned the building as a formless, shapeless cloud that floats or hovers over the city, to evoke a sense of mystery and journey (those words, as you might have guessed, are what I read online and found them interesting enough to share here.) This building, as you can see from the outside, contains no straight lines, echoing Ma Yansong's vision of a natural cloud-like aesthetic. I have always been interested in an architect's vision of his work, and it is enlightening to know this one.
I don't know if I will ever get to see it myself, but I have loved traveling virtually, and our son gave us a great guided tour through his story-telling and photos.
There are many artists works on display, and the Star Wars in Motion exhibit only occupies about 7 percent of the total gallery space. This room is dedicated to the first six films, including Luke Skywalker's land speeder, pod racers, speeder bikes and Darth Vader replicas.
As for the other artists featured here? 20-century American illustrators included who have their own galleries are Norman Rockwell, Frank Frazetta, Jessie Willcox Smith, Maxfield Parish, Thomas Hart Benton and N. C. Wyeth.
Then we have fine art, modern and contemporary artists such as Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera, Vincent van Gogh, Jacob Lawrence, Charles White, Robert Cosescott, Banksy, Judith F. Baca, JR, Ernie Barnes, Beatrix Potter and Takashi Murakami.
Then there are Comic, Manga and Graphic Story Artists, Jack Kirby, George Herriman, R. Crumb (Robert Crumb), Winsor McCay, Alison Bechdel, Jim Lee, Frank Miller, Charles Schulz and Moebius.
Next comes documentary photographers and filmmakers, Gordon Parks, Dorothea Lange, Robert Capa and George Méliès.
Our son and daughter-in-law had two days but frankly, I would need two weeks to see everything I'm sure!
Thank you both for letting me share your photos today. You are the best!
Take good care of yourselves, thanks for stopping by and I hope your day is a great one.
























Dear Denise,
ReplyDeleteThis is a wonderful post about that visit—and a big thank you to your son for allowing you to share this series of photos and explanations with us here. It’s fantastic; I really enjoyed it, since I’ll never get to go there myself!
Your son looks so sweet in that photo from when he was little, wearing that homemade mask!
Have a lovely day, hugs, Elke
Our son will be delighted you enjoyed it Elke. Thank you very much. It seems like yesterday that party :) you have a lovely day also. Hugs, Denise.
DeleteI had never heard of this place, Wow!!! It is totally cool! I do not like corners, sharp edges and straight lines. Rounded curves are my favorite. The building is gorgeous. And what treasures it has. Like you, I would have needed weeks to go through it. I love the long curved wall with the drawings hanging on it.
ReplyDeleteI know what you mean about those curves. Hubby and I both enjoy buildings like this. Thank you Ginny :)
DeleteThank them for sharing and thank you for passing the photos and story on Denise. A good place to visit and take it all in.
ReplyDeleteMy pleasure Margaret :) and I will pass on your thanks. Thank you very much!
DeleteThank you for sharing the pictures. It looks like an incredible time.
ReplyDeleteYou are very welcome my friends, so glad you enjoyed :)
DeleteFabulous and thanks to you and son for sharing...Hugs to you.
ReplyDeleteThat’s wonderful! Very happy you enjoyed it so much :) Hugs to you too!
DeleteWhat an interesting place this is. I don't see a cloud though, I definitely see a spaceship.
ReplyDeleteThat’s a reasonable assumption isn’t it Ann? :)
DeleteThe Lucas Museum is cool, I love the spaceship design.
ReplyDeleteGreat photos from your son's visit.
Take care, enjoy your day and the week ahead.
Thank you Eileen, happy you enjoyed. I thought it was a very cool place :) You take care too and I wish you the same.
DeleteThe boyhood mask and party ties it all together.
ReplyDeleteIt does indeed, thank you John :)
DeleteI saw a blue about the opening of this museum on TV, but I didn't realize it was such a unique building. I bet it was great to visit though. Thanks for sharing this. It was fun to see.
ReplyDeleteYou are very welcome Erika :) and thank you very much. I didn’t see anything about it before our son told us he was going there. I am very happy to know about it now. I would have a great time seeing all that artwork and the building itself is an amazing work of art in itself.
DeleteHow very interesting to read about this museum. I'm always impressed with this kind of philanthropy (giving back to the community) with museums like these. Hats off to George Lucas and his wife. I'll be in the L.A. area this coming weekend but I don't think I'll have time to visit this museum.
ReplyDeleteHappy you found it so Ellen :) I thought the same thing about their giving back to the community, a big collective thank you to all their fans out there. Hats off indeed! Have a wonderful time in LA.
DeleteAmazing place!
ReplyDeleteI agree Anne, thank you :)
DeleteLooks like a lovely trip!
ReplyDeleteThank you Christine :)
DeleteI recently saw this museum featured either in the news or in a post on Facebook or instagram. It is cool to see your son’s pictures when he was there.
ReplyDeleteInteresting Linda! I was unaware until our son told us about the place :) Happy you enjoyed his photos.
Deletecan you believe i have never seen a star wars movie?? never ever...i was just never draw to them, the hubs either. your son and his wife took some great pictures and how nice that they shared them with you!! i have seen the wizard of oz a gazillion time and i enjoyed the lion!! i'll bet they had a great time!!
ReplyDeleteI think that’s great Debbie. I have only seen the Wizard of Oz a handful of times :) They did have a great time.
DeleteWhat fun fun fun x 1,000. Please thank them for the wonderful photos and you for the commentary. Please tell dear DIL how very much I love her fashions. I am all about bright and fun clothes. She is too evidently
ReplyDeleteHugs cecilia
Firsts of all, what an adorable and happy looking couple. When I first saw that I wondered if it had something to do with Star Wars. That was really amazing. I bet my grandson would love to go there. Love the cowardly lion too.
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with you there Sandie :) Thank you!
DeleteA fabulous museum from those photos. Love the apple outfit your daughter in law had one.
ReplyDeleteHi Marcia :) I have always loved our daughter-in-law’s taste in clothes. She wears some beautiful choices.
DeleteThat looks like an amazing museum and your son's photos are very cool.
ReplyDeleteHappy you think so, thank you Beverley :)
DeleteThank you for a lovely post and photographs.
ReplyDeleteIt looks an amazing museum to visit with so much to see and enjoy.
All the best Jan
My pleasure Jan, so glad you enjoyed them. All the best to you too :) Denise
DeleteHow much fun is that???? I of course love the star wars line up and all of the other things in that fantastic museum!
ReplyDeleteA lot of fun it looked like Val :) I was rather taken with that line up myself when I found it, lol!
DeleteAwesome looking building.
ReplyDeleteTotally agree Red :)
DeleteWhat fun pictures. That looks like a great place to visit.
ReplyDeleteThanks Mary, they probably would have :)
DeleteLindo museo. Te mando un beso.
ReplyDeleteGracias, estoy de acuerdo :) Te mando un beso.
DeleteMy daughter Marie went there on a special tour. She said it was fantastic!
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful for Marie. It certainly looks like a fantastic place :)
Delete