Today I am sharing a few photos from rainy days throughout the years. The first one is an elk we saw at Benezette in Pennsylvania more years back than I can remember. The rest are just around and about.
“And who art thou?” said I to the soft-falling shower. “I am the Poem of Earth,” said the voice of the rain.
~The Voice of the Rain by Walt Whitman, "Leaves of Grass"~
Monday, September 21st, 2026 (last Monday ): I went to my usual place and had my hair shaped and trimmed. The lady I go to always does a great job and makes me look presentable. I have been going to her for several years. I made another appointment for two months from now. I forgot the last appointment and felt really bad about it, but she was very nice.
Lady was very proud to tell me they had had the place redecorated, and I said how lovely it was, and how bright. Truthfully, my eyesight was particularly sensitive. I thought it would be a little gauche to shield my eyes or put my sunglasses on. I kept my eyes closed for most of my appointment, which I do anyway when my head is lowered as she works around me. No big deal, I couldn’t help be happy for her as she was obviously very proud of the new look. She and the rest of those who work there were happily chatting to their customers. It is a very friendly place. There was a darling little boy getting his haircut and he was being showered with smiles. He was having a good time with all the attention.
As for me, I was in and out in 15 minutes. I go in with my hair wet as I have my mother’s problem and get dizzy when hanging my head low over the sink, doesn't matter if it's forward or backward. I stopped that several hair appointments ago. It takes a lot of time off the process, and I was in and out in 15 minutes. Gregg was surprised when I texted him to say I had finished. Sometimes she gets a phone call from a potential customer in the middle and stops to answer. This gives me a chance to have a nosy and see who is in the other chairs. She had no phone calls this time. I am always happy to see my nice, tidy hair.
This afternoon it started raining. Fortunately we were home before we had a torrential downpour. This is what our skies looked like on our way out. It was trash pick-up today.
At 6.51 p.m. the temperature is a low of 65 F/18 C, and the low on Friday will be the 51 F./11 C. Mother Nature has flipped her switch.
Tuesday, September 22nd, 2026: I had a weird dream last night. I dreamt I stuck my head into the garage from the laundry room door, and a lynx was sitting on an old chest of draws we keep out there. He poked his head around the corner and stared at me. It’s my habit at night to make sure we put down the garage door. We had but I closed the door into the house pretty darned fast, in my dream. Then I went to bed. I know it was a dream because I wouldn’t have just gone to bed. I would have been on the phone to animal control. As it was, I was very careful opening up the laundry room door this morning, just to check, and then I laughed at myself. It was such a vivid dream. No lynx staring back at me. I don’t usually remember my dreams unless they are to do with animals. Go figure that one out - or maybe not!
It sent me on one of my curiosity searches and I looked up where their native habitat was. It is limited to the dense, snow-heavy northern forests of Canada, Alaska and the northernmost tier of the United States. We do get Bobcats, however, but I knew this was a Lynx. The Bobcat is the only wild feline found in our state. They are common in the Dismal Swamp and the mountains of Virginia, rarely seen in other areas.
Reading on, I found that there were two captive 10-month old Siberian Lynx stolen from an animal park in Winchester, Virginia in December 2016. They were eventually found safe in January 2017, after being dumped on the roadside in West Virginia. There is an article here. A lady, who knew of their disappearance, lured them into her garage and called animal control. They were extremely tame and inseparable. Apparently they were very thin and ran right over to their keeper when he turned up. He said they were ready to go home.
Whoever stole them were never found but they were thought to have also taken a spider monkey and a lemur from the same park. Those animals were found in Glen Daniel, W.Va. after they had been sold to an unsuspecting buyer???
What a strange story, poor animals! And who knows, maybe I read about this years ago, had totally forgotten about it, or maybe saw a nature show a while back and forgotten about that. Why a Lynx suddenly popped into my brain last night, who knows? Winchester is the town we go to for the Museum of the Shenandoah.
Gregg was happy I remembered enough to tell him about it and always tells me about his. He remembers all of his dreams. Is that a Men are From Mars, Women are from Venus thing, or is that an age thing, and yes I am smiling, and also blathering? How about you, care to share?
Well, that’s two days from last week. I didn’t remember to jot down the others. Just as well!
Below is a frog that separated from a rain gauge I bought years ago I decided to turn him into today’s signature sign-off to fit in with this rainy-day theme.
I hope you are having a great weekend. Thanks for dropping in. I hope you are having sunny but not too hot a day where you are.
Hugs from…






Lynx are so beautiful! I know how it is to have a dream so real that you don't know if it really happened or not! It looks like you are so close to this elk!! Right beside him! Your photo of the concentric circles the rain is making is gorgeous! Rain art!
ReplyDeleteDear Elke, I enjoyed your gentle little corner and those pictures are truly something wonderful for my soul.
ReplyDeleteHave a nice Sunday, hugs, Andreja!
Dear Denise, it was lovely to hear your story about the hairdresser and your dream. Sometimes I, too, have to stop and wonder whether something was real or not.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful photo of the moose and the bird with the raindrops. It’s currently 22 degrees here on the coast, while others inland are seeing 30 degrees, with temperatures dropping to 11 degrees at night.
Thanks for sharing! Have a wonderful Sunday!
Hugs, Elke
Nothing like a good haircut, my husband cuts mine about every 6 months, an inch or two off straight across (I prefer it that way) then I can still wear it up all the time.
ReplyDeleteWell that was some dream you had and so real it seems.
Take care, Denise.
Love Walt Whitman!
ReplyDeleteI remember dreams off and on throughout my life. Seems like I have not remembered as many the older I have gotten for some reason. I am dreaming, though. But they seem to vanish off into the ether so they are lost quickly.
Lynx are so beautiful! Striking to see, even in a dream. :)
The first three pictures are exceptional, Denise. I wish I had taken them.,
ReplyDeleteHello, Denise
ReplyDeleteI do not always remember my dreams, a Lynx in the garage would be spooky.
I love the shots of the elk and the leaf. Happy Sunday, have a wonderful week!
I enjoyed all your photo. The dream is pretty impressive. I'm the same way and rarely remember mine. My husband used to use the "Men are from Mars, women are from Venus" line on me all the time. He used to tell me I didn't make any sense when I tried to tell him something. I think it was more he just had a comprehension issue...lol
ReplyDeleteI have gone to the same girl for all my family's hair cuts for almost 30 years...She works in the salon in the Penney's in the Mall by me.... I can't lean back into the sink either as it hurts my back so I get a dry hair cut and have done so for about 20+ years... Thanks fso much for stopping by!!
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Deb
Debbie-Dabble Blog
I dream about you Denise, but I couldn't possible disclose such matters. 😜😇😉🤣
ReplyDeleteSmart of you to go in for your hair appointment with your hair wet. That is very interesting about how you get dizzy. Better safe than sorry. Happy Sunday and I hope you aren't getting as battered as your east coast!
ReplyDeleteUmbrellas and rain are two of my favorite things but I also love interesting dreams such as yours. An old chest of drawers out in the garage is a perfect symbol for stored-away memories, past experiences, or old parts of yourself that the lynx could be guarding. :)
ReplyDeleteLovely photos
ReplyDeleteI just love that photo of the rain. And that elk is just magnificent. I'm in desperate need of a haircut. Hoping to get it very soon!
ReplyDelete