This is hubby’s photo of a hummingbird moth taken at Walney a couple of days ago. I have been looking for them but we always arrived at the wrong time. This day he lucked out by spotting it just as we were leaving. Another extraordinary insect and you can have a proper look at this link. I have also found other posts of our own photos here and here and lastly here. You will have to scroll down a bit for the last one. It’s a real pretty one on the last post called a White-lined Sphynx Moth.
Unlike most moths, they fly during the day (diurnal). They hover in place over flowers and use a long, straw-like mouth called a proboscis to drink nectar. They have thick, fuzzy bodies, clear wings with dark borders, and fan-like tails.
When I saw one for the first time, I actually thought it was a hummingbird. Real hummingbirds, however, are much larger with feathers, while hummingbird moths have visible antennae and clear wing patches.
From a distance it can be confusing. The first time I saw the difference, I was very, very surprised. I had never seen a Hummingbird Moth before.
Thanks for looking and
I hope your day is a great one.


I have never seen one. At first glance I would think it is a hummingbird. If I saw what it is, I think I would run! His photo is wonderful!! Amazing detail and so sharp and clear!!
ReplyDeleteHi Ginny, it is amazing to see one for the first time :) so happy you enjoyed Gregg’s photo.
DeleteThank you for the amazing shot and the intro :)
ReplyDeleteYou are very welcome and thank you :)
DeleteOhh so sweet!
ReplyDeleteHappy you enjoyed, thank you so much :)
DeleteI’ve never seen one like this in person—only on blogs. It is just as fascinating as it looks; what nature gives us is truly unique!
ReplyDeleteAll the photos—both the ones from the links and the ones of it here—are fantastic.
Thank your , hugs Elke
Hello Dear Elke, and I agree with you 100% :) they are amazing little things. Thank you for your kind words. Hugs, Denise
DeleteI have never seen one before. They are extraordinary.
ReplyDeleteThank you Ruby Rose :) they are indeed.
DeleteLooks a wonderful moth, I followed the links, all of them and some nice photos there of the moth and then about the moth. Thanks for that.
ReplyDeleteHappy you enjoyed them all Margaret, thank you :)
DeleteYour hubby's photo is awesome, great capture of the moth.
ReplyDeleteTake care, enjoy your day!
Thank you Eileen, I will let him know :) You take care and enjoy your day also.
DeleteI have never seen a hummingbird moth and I can see how they would get confused with a hummingbird.
ReplyDeleteThanks Ann, it is very confusing at first sighting :)
DeleteParece que busca donde aterrizar. Muy buena fotografía.
ReplyDeleteMuchas gracias por su amable comentario. Fue una experiencia maravillosa ver esta hermosa polilla.
DeleteAlways a great sighting. It’s not often that I come across them.,
ReplyDeleteVery much so and they seem to visit this particular area quite often. It’s just being there at the right time :)
DeleteFascinating little creature. Every year I hope to see a hummingbird hawk moth - every year I'm disappointed.
ReplyDeleteIt is fascinating. I hope you get to see your hummingbird hawk moth one day :)
DeleteHummingbird moths are so interesting and I can remember my fascination the first time seeing them in our VA garden. The butterfly bush was a special favorite of these moths. Gregg had a good mid-air capture.
ReplyDeleteThanks so much! I have a butterfly bush on my list for planting. Gregg was very happy he got this photo :)
DeleteThat was a pretty sharp photo.
ReplyDeleteThank you John, we were both very happy how it turned out :)
DeleteI have never heard of it, let alone seen one. It looks fabulous.
ReplyDeleteThank you Angie, it would be interesting to see what kind of moths you get in your part of the world :)
DeleteAbsolutely beautiful. Love to you.
ReplyDeleteThe same to you dear friend and thank you :)
DeleteI have t seen one.
ReplyDeleteThat first sighting was a memorable experience for me :)
DeleteI've been seeing them this summer. It requires a second look to recognize the difference.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you Sandra, they definitely require a second look :)
DeletePlease thank Gregg I have heard of them but never seen one what a thrill
ReplyDeleteHugs cecilia
I will and thank you Cecilia, we really lucked out with our timing and Gregg’s fast reflexes :) Hugs, Denise
DeleteWhat a beautiful capture of it! Well done, to your hubby!
ReplyDeleteThank you Ellen :) very kind of you and the same message I gave him when I saw this photo :)
Deleteexcellent photo!
ReplyDeleteThank you Christine :)
DeleteNever seen one before. They look like something out of a Harry Potter book. We had a walking stick on the side of our house once, and saw it reach out to a hummingbird. He didn't catch it. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteHi Linda! :) They do a bit, don’t they? I have never seen one of those walking stick bugs. Sounds like the hummingbird had a narrow escape.
DeleteThat is such a wonderful photograph of it, full marks to your hubby :)
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Thank you Jan and I will pass on your kind compliment to hubby :) All the best to you too, Denise
DeleteHa ha. You beat me again. Grin. I have a hummingbird moth in my post tomorrow. You and I are definitely on the same wavelength. And that is another fantastic photo!
ReplyDeleteLove it!!! Hello Kindred Spirit :) I will be over tomorrow. I have actual hummingbirds coming up soon, all taken by the hubs. He will be delighted at your compliment about his photo. Thank you so much!
DeleteI love them. I've never seen one in person.
ReplyDeleteI am glad you love them Mary and hope you will see them one day :)
DeleteLinda polilla. Te mando un beso.
ReplyDeleteMe alegra que te guste, muchas gracias. Te mando un beso :)
DeleteWhat a lucky capture. It's a beautiful photo.
ReplyDeleteIt certainly was. Thank you Jeanie :)
Deletewhat an awesome picture!! YaY greg!! it's not everyday you see one and get to photograph it with a beautiful background. they are a unique little critter!!
ReplyDeleteHello Debbie and yes, we will take the yay for Gregg. It’s not indeed and you are right, they are very unique :)
DeleteInteresting. I don't think I have ever seen one, or maybe I have, but thought it was a hummingbird.
ReplyDeleteYou could very well have Sandra :)
Deletewhat a gorgeous shot. I love bees! We have lovely blue-banded native bees here; they are so pretty, and they love rosemary flowers!
ReplyDeletesherry
Thank you Sherry and my goodness, I would love to see one of your blue-banded native bees. They sound pretty and very interesting :)
Delete