These were taken a while back, but I came across them again recently.
They live mostly in moist, low woodlands, river valleys and swamps where pawpaw trees grow.
They eat only the leaves of native pawpaw trees (Asimina species). Adult butterflies however, sip nectar from open flowers like milkweed, verbena and zinnias, and frequently gather on damp soil or mud puddles to drink water and minerals.
Eating pawpaw leaves makes the caterpillars and adult butterflies unpalatable or poisonous to predators like birds and spiders. Caterpillars have a special orange, forked neck gland called an osmeterium that pops out to release a foul odor when frightened. Evolution has given it lots of protection.
Adults from later broods can live up to six months, which is unusually long for a butterfly.
Butterflies and their ancestors have been on earth for at least 200 to 300 million years. The evolutionary timeline of the Lepidoptera order (which includes both moths and butterflies) reveals how these creatures adapted over millions of years:
300 Million Years Ago (Moth Ancestors): the earliest primitive ancestors of moths first emerged. They were tiny, nocturnal, and lived in ancient, humid forests.
200 to 236 Million Years Ago (First Wing Scales): fossilized wing scales found in the ancient rock and prehistoric dung place early moth and butterfly lineages firmly in the Triassic and Jurassic periods. They flew alongside early dinosaurs.
100 Million Years Ago (True Butterflies): modern day-flying butterflies officially split from nocturnal moths during the Cretaceous period. Recent genetics studies show they originated in North and Central America before spreading globally.
I found the above information online, thanks to Google's search engine.
Thanks for looking and
I hope your day is a great one.



It’s always fascinating to see what this caterpillar looks like and how it develops into a butterfly. A beautiful species. Thanks for sharing! hugs Elke
ReplyDeleteThis always fascinates me too Elke. You are very welcome, I am always happy to share what I find :) hugs, Denise
DeleteStunning transformation!
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely agree Christine :)
DeleteThe life cycle from caterpillar to butterfly!
ReplyDeleteThis transformation has always fascinated me.
In my area, back in the day, they used to raise caterpillars that spun cocoons to produce silk. They fed exclusively on mulberry leaves.
Thank you, Denise, for this information!!🧡
You are very welcome Katerina :) and me too! Always fascinating! Thank you for the information on the silk caterpillars. I have heard of them but didn't know much. How very interesting they only eat the mulberry leaves.
DeleteThe neck gland is news to me! And your butterfly photo is perfect. I also did not know there was a time when the butterflies split from moths.
ReplyDeleteThank you Ginny, I didn't know that either and was very interested to find all this out now :)
DeleteVery interesting. Such a beautiful butterfly. I find it interesting how the caterpillars eat the pawpaw leaves and it makes them unpalatable to predators.
ReplyDeleteThank you Ann, I didn't know any of this before I found my photo. I am so glad the information was easy to find :)
DeleteWhat a glorious adult it becomes.
ReplyDeleteIt does indeed :)
DeleteEating pawpaw leaves makes the caterpillars and adult butterflies unpalatable or poisonous to predators like birds and spiders.... How interesting! Every species has their unique anti-predator system.
ReplyDeleteEvery species, very true. Thank you Angie :)
DeleteWhat an absolutely beautiful and amazing insect! I had no idea they had been around that long. Loved this post!
ReplyDeleteIt is indeed and neither did I before finding my photos again. Thank you, so glad you enjoyed :)
DeleteSo interesting and how beautiful is that butterfly. Nature sure can give us joy to see lovely creatures, Denise.
ReplyDeleteThank you Margaret, I agree with you completely :)
DeleteEvolution has made some weird and wonderful adaptations.
ReplyDeleteThat it has, all of nature is amazing isn't it? :)
DeleteI have a swallowtail caterpillar in my post today too. Great minds must be thinking alike. :) I enjoyed reading and seeing about the zebra swallowtail. I have never seen one of these, only the yellow and black ones in my area. Happy Friday.
ReplyDeleteI'll be popping on over to see Erika. Looking forward to it. Thank you, glad you enjoyed and a Happy Friday to you too :)
DeleteIt is cool to see the caterpillar and the beautiful butterfly that it transforms into.
ReplyDeleteThanks Linda, I'm happy you thought so. I do find them fascinating :)
DeleteThis is such interesting information, Denise. Thank you. The Zebra Swallowtail butterfly is truly beautiful.
ReplyDeleteI'm happy you think so Janice, thank you and I agree about the Zebra Swallowtail. :)
DeleteI did not know anything about these butterflies, so thank you! We have them in our gardens, and i wonder where they are finding pawpaw, since i have not seen any around here.
ReplyDeleteYou are very welcome Granny Sue and thank you :) That's interesting, I wonder how far they fly to get to your garden?
DeleteMind-blowing how long these tiny creatures have existed on Earth, even though their individual life-spans are comparatively incredibly short.
ReplyDeleteIt certainly is Penelope, and well put! :)
Delete