Monday, November 2, 2020

MONDAY RECIPE POST - YAKISOBA CHICKEN - SERVES 6


Another enjoyable meal, not planned.  I was wondering what to do, looked in the pantry and the fridge, like we all do at times, checked my ingredients and paired them with a recipe I had found recently.  My sweet other half always likes this kind of meal, and he was sold right away.  It was found at AllRecipes and here is the link.


Yakisoba Chicken by Em Maxwell – serves 6

Calories per serving: 295


½ teaspoon sesame oil

1 tablespoon canola oil

2 tablespoons chile paste

2 cloves garlic, chopped

4 breast half, bone and skin removed, skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cut into 1 inch cubes

½ cup soy sauce

1 onion, sliced lengthwise into eights

½ medium head cabbage, coarsely chopped

2 medium carrots, coarsely chopped

8 ounces soba noodles, cooked and drained

 

In a large skillet combine sesame oil, canola oil and chili paste; stir-fry 30 seconds.

Add garlic and stir fry an additional 30 seconds.

Add chicken and 1/4 cup of the soy sauce and stir fry until chicken is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. 

Remove mixture from pan, set aside, and keep warm.

In the emptied pan combine the onion, cabbage, and carrots.

Stir-fry until cabbage begins to wilt, 2 to 3 minutes. 

Stir in the remaining soy sauce, cooked noodles, and the chicken mixture to pan and mix to blend.

Serve and enjoy!

We made a few changes

Instead of canola oil we used olive oil.

We didn't have any soba noodles so had 2 packets of dried ramen noodles and cooked those before adding to the mix.  I tossed out the seasoning packet as it's too high in sodium for us.

There was already a roasted chicken breast in the fridge left from yesterdays meal, which was cut into bite-size pieces.  It was added towards the end of the cooking process with enough time to get heated through.

Thoroughly enjoyed by both of us and thought next time we might add sliced sautéed mushrooms and a handful of frozen peas.  Or for that matter any kind of favorite vegetable.

Delicious!

Thanks for stopping by, enjoy your day and...





Here is the address for you, just in case the link doesn’t work.  

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/8628/yakisoba-chicken/




26 comments:

  1. I am glad you both enjoyed it. For an 'improvised' meal it sounded impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks really good, and really healthy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks lovely. All recipes do have some good ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly do, thank you Margaret :)

      Delete
    2. It looks delicious. I always use the internet to look recipes up, I have so many great books but it takes so long to search for the right dish.
      Have a good week and stay safe, Diane

      Delete
    3. Thanks Diane :) There are so many food blogs out there. I still pick up an old favorite cooking book occasionally. I suppose they will be collector items one day.

      Delete
  4. Hello Denise,
    The meal sounds yummy and looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe!
    Take care and stay safe! Enjoy your day! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, glad you liked the look of it. I wish for you the same :)

      Delete
  5. Yummy! I love making meals like this using up leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy to me! I use olive oil most of the time but I also use avocado oil a lot and sometimes sunflower oil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra and thank you :) Avocado oil is good too. It has gotten really popular.

      Delete
  7. I enjoy these kind of meals, too. Happy November to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The flavors sound wonderful in your chicken dish, Denise. My guys love Ramen noodle soup, but you are right--too much sodium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martha Ellen, I love those packet ramen soups but have been throwing out the packets ever since I learned they were so high in sodium. I also try to find a ramen noodle that has been baked and not fried, but not always able to do so.

      Delete
  9. Many thanks for sharing the recipe, it looks and sounds delicious.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are veery welcome Jan, glad you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  10. We also look in the fridge and pantry for how to use leftovers and create something new. Chili paste and ramen noodles are not in that group, but as you noted substitutions can always be made, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Dorothy, there always seems to be something we can turn into a tasty meal.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!