Monday, November 16, 2020

MONDAY RECIPE POST - GREEK YOGURT OATMEAL


I realize oatmeal isn't to everyone's taste but I have been eating this since cold, foggy mornings in England, when my Mum used to send me off to school in the wintertime.  I never left the house without eating a hot bowl of 'porridge' for breakfast.  I still enjoy it but like to add a few additions, and am always looking for new ideas. I never thought of adding Greek yogurt before and I eat that on its own for breakfast sometimes, with fruit.  This is the best of both worlds.

I found this recipe at "Eating Birdfood" hosted by Brittany.  I always recommend checking out an original recipe for all kinds of nutritional information and other great recipes.  The link can be found if you click here.


Greek Yogurt Oatmeal - serves 1

Calories: 267 


1/2 cup old fashioned oats

1/2  banana, sliced (optional)*

pinch of sea salt

1 1/4 cup water, milk or a blend of both

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon + 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (optional)

1/4 cup Greek yogurt + more if you’d like


Add oats, banana slices and sea salt to a pot. Add water/milk and stir to combine. Add cinnamon and vanilla, if using. Heat over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes or until all the liquid has been absorbed. Be sure to stir the oats several times while cooking to make sure the banana slices melt into the oats. You’ll know the oatmeal is done when all the liquid is absorbed and the oats are thick and fluffy.

Remove oats from the heat and stir in Greek yogurt. Start with 1/4 cup and add more if you’d like. Transfer oats to a bowl and top with your favorite oatmeal toppings. I used banana slices, blueberries, granola and peanut butter.


Brittany's notes: 

"You don’t have to cook the oats with a banana, but I like the sweetness it adds. Instead of the banana, you could add another natural sweetener to sweeten the oats. Some options: maple syrup, honey, coconut sugar or even stevia."


What I did differently:

I used my usual old-fashioned oatmeal and cooked it according to the directions on the container; boil 1 cup of water, then add 1/2 cup of oats and stir a little.  Turn down the heat and cook for five minutes.

I added the Greek yogurt when I sat down to eat, mixing it into the oats.  Then I added a tablespoon of peanut butter, 1 tablespoon of chopped walnuts, 3 Medjool dates, which I chopped, and the sliced half a banana.  On top of everything I added 1/2 cup of oat milk.  I have tried other non-dairy milks but this suits my taste better.  I find myself becoming allergic to regular milk, which I have enjoyed all my life.  Go figure!

If I had any blueberries in the fridge I would have added those because they are a favorite of mine.  You can use any of your favorite fruits.

I am going to start adding the link to the recipe at the end, until I forget!  You can just cut and paste into your address line.

https://www.eatingbirdfood.com/greek-yogurt-oatmeal/


Thanks for looking and have a great week!



 


30 comments:

  1. What an interesting recipe! I have one that I am going to try, very simple. Just replace your milk with yogurt on dry cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds good - and I would happily add blueberries too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds alright.
    I don't eat porridge, my parents did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret :) Not everyone's cup of tea I know.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Mam nadzieję, że Ci się spodoba :) Dziękuję za komentarz.

      Delete
  5. We agree Denise that oatmeal is great for breakfast and I also have added yogurt as a topping which makes it seem more like a dessert than healthy breakfast. Other add-ins I have tried include some vanilla, cinnamon, brown sugar, honey...not all at the same time, but sometimes combinations and bludberries are also great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I make myself eat oatmeal a couple times a week when i am ON my diet which I can't seem to get back on. but have never cooked the bananas in it or put the cinnamon and vanilla. will try that and see if i like it better. i do put peanut butter in it after it is cooked, i need to find a way that i like it so i could eat it more.. i assume i don't care for it because it is NOT FATTENING and is healthy..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubs does not like oatmeal either Sandra, it would be boring if we all liked the same thing. I know it's good for us and am glad I enjoy it but realize not everyone does.

      Delete
  7. This sounds like the perfect way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me very much so, especially in the wintertime :) Thanks Martha!

      Delete
  8. I make our own muesli based on oats. I make in bulk so I only have to make it about once a month. I use all our own dried fruit in it as well. Nigel has it with yoghurt and I have it with fromage blanc. Keep safe and have a good week, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful to be able to use your own fruit Diane. I had not thought of the fromage blanc, thank you for that idea :) You keep safe and have a good week also :)

      Delete
  9. What a coincidence! We had oatmeal with caramalized bananas for breakfast yesterday! Now where on earth did I get that recipe? ))) (Thank you again.). Now, this one looks good too, at first I thought I must have read it wrong when it said to cook the bananas, but then I saw what she meant. I will try this, but more your way because I love bananas on top of my oatmeal and ‘in and out’ would be too many. I also love the idea of adding the T of peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sallie, you and I do seem to have the same tastes so I'm happy you enjoy my recipes :)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks Gigi, I can attest to both :) I think my mother started feeding me this when I a toddler.

      Delete
  11. We eat oatmeal every other morning. Eggs, on the alternate mornings.

    I like the name "porridge" better than oatmeal. -smile-

    🍗 😋 🍗

    ReplyDelete
  12. love mine with butter and brown sugar. gotta try new dishes and get out of this rut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peruby, that sounds good too. Agree about trying new dishes. I recently bought a set. Something new definitely lifts the spirits, even when I have used old dishes packed away for a long time that feel like new when you bring them out. Welcome to my blog :)

      Delete
  13. Hi Denise, lovely to read about your porridge... it is such a delicious start to the morning. I hadn't thought about stirring yoghurt into it, great idea. Even into the warmer weather I still like to have it, I swallow my morning tablets with mouthfuls of porridge with blueberries and banana! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue, what a great idea! That’s a spoonful that definitely would make the medication go down :) I should get out of my mindset and eat porridge all year round. Thanks for sowing that seed in my head :)

      Delete
  14. I will try this in the morning, I have some Greek yogurt, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know... I still haven't tried Greek yogurt. We alternate between oatmeal and cereal. When we were in Australia, we got to like eating cereal with yogurt on top with fruit and granola.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That all sounds good, I haven’t tried granola in a while. I should make some :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!