Thursday, July 16, 2020

FROM THE ARCHIVES, A DEER FAMILY AT BIG MEADOWS, SKYLINE DRIVE, VIRGINIA

I found this sweety at Big Meadows several years ago.  We were walking along one of the narrow trails across the meadow, and some slight movement caused me to glance to my left.  I quickly took a couple of photos and then moved on.  Later we saw mother grazing with baby next to mum.   

Gregg and I discovered this area when we signed up for a photographic group one weekend a few years ago, and stayed at the lodge nearby. We've been coming back ever since.
We didn't expect to see any deer as they generally don't start coming down on the meadow until later on in the day and it was still early in the afternoon.
They are used to humans here as they are well protected, it being part of the National Park Service.  I adhere to the 'keep at least 25 feet away' rule, and moved away from the baby as it was a bit of a shock to come across it.
It was time to go and we felt we had been given a very special gift this day.
We met a lady, another photographer, who asked us if we had seen any. This was before our first sighting. She told me that the mothers sometime leave their fawns not too far from the trail.




27 comments:

  1. Awwww.
    What a wonderful sight to see - and thank you for sharing some of the magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome EC and I am so happy you enjoyed my old post.

      Delete
  2. Ah!
    How wonderful to see, thanks for sharing and I really enjoyed these photos.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Margaret, you are very welcome. Always happy to share posts that my blogging friends enjoy :)

      Delete
  3. Hello, Denise
    The fawn is so cute. Great sighting of the deer family. Take care and stay safe! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, thank you and I wish you the same :)

      Delete
  4. I was holding my breath all the way through at the sight of these beautiful baby Bambi's. My dad could never go hunting because every time he mentioned killing a deer I would start crying and talkin about Bambi. These are amazing photos and I would just be a static if I had seen this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same with my Dad when he went fishing :) Thank you Sandra, and I was over the moon, in total awe.

      Delete
  5. Very cute. Keep well and safe, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like we are on the same track today. :) Love your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll enjoy seeing what you have shared Ellen, and thank you :)

      Delete
  7. How very special, Denise! Your photography is so lovely. Big Meadows is a wonderful spot. Thank you for sharing your precious moments there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen and you are very welcome. So happy you enjoyed :)

      Delete
  8. I am sure you were trilled to see the baby Deer Denise. She is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly was Margaret, and she was beautiful wasn't she?

      Delete
  9. Piękne fotografie tej uroczej rodzinki:) Milej niedzieli:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję bardzo i życzę szczęśliwego weekendu :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!