Monday, March 9, 2020

MONDAY RECIPE POST - KALE CAESAR SALAD WITH CHICKPEA CROUTONS


This recipe came from The Cutting Veg hosted by Sarah.  Thank you Sarah!  You can find her recipe here.  I saw it on Instagram originally.  There is another variation I would like to try at this link.  It is Kale Salad with Garlicky Chickpea Croutons from The Roasted Root (click on last link in red to see).


Approximately 6 cups chopped kale
1 Avocado
Enough onion sliced thinly to suit your own taste, or leave off if its not for you. 

Crispy chickpeas:

1 15 ounce can (or 2 cups) cooked chickpeas, rinsed, drained and thoroughly dried
1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
1 tablespoon tandoori masala seasoning (or garam masala, or cumin)
Salt and pepper

Caesar dressing:

1/4 cup tahini
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 lemons, juice (approximately 1/3 of a cup)
2 to 3 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
1 teaspoon maple syrup (or honey if not vegan)
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
A pinch each of salt and pepper
Hot water for thinning

Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.  Add drained chickpeas to a mixing bowl and toss with oil and seasonings.

Add seasoned chickpeas to a baking sheet.  Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the chickpeas are slightly crispy and golden brown.  Remove from oven and set aside.

Add dressing ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisk vigorously to combine, smashing the garlic with the whisk.  Taste and adjust seasonings as desired, add more lemon juice for brightness.

Add kale to a large mixing bowl.  Before adding dressing, add 1 tablespoon each of lemon juice and olive oil to the kale and massage with hands to soften the texture and lessen bitterness.  Then add as much dressing as desired (some may be leftover) and mix with a spoon.

Top with chickpeas and serve.  
One side of our team is not a big kale fan and truth be told, it's not something I have thought of too often, but as my sweet other half was away for a few days last week I went shopping, cutting down the recipe accordingly.  I bought a bag of baby kale.
  
I used very little dressing as am not a big dressing fan on any salad.  

I didn't use as much seasoning for the chickpeas.  I already had a small container of garam masala in the pantry, but had not used it very much and wasn't sure of the taste.  However, it added a lovely flavor and I will add a tad more next time.  

This salad is better eaten the day of, for my own preference. 


Thank you for looking and have a great week.






36 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, I love the bright greens in this dish. Thanks Ginny :)

      Delete
  2. This sounds delicious - though my partner would consider it poison. I will bookmark it and make it when he is away next week. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do always find the most delicious looking dishes to make, Denise. You are such an awesome cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind Kay, I just like to follow a recipe and bonus if it turns out well, lol!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Muito obrigado. Desejo-lhe uma semana muito feliz.

      Delete
  5. To wygląda na bardzo smaczna potrawę . Lubię takie dania. Milego dnia:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dziękuję Ci! Cieszę się, że podoba Ci się wygląd tego dania :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Trying to put more of these into our week :) Thanks Tanya!

      Delete
  7. the only thing in this one that I eat is the chickpeas. but it sure looks beautiful and delicious, except I know what kale tastes like. ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once again you made me chuckle, thanks Sandra :)

      Delete
  8. That salad looks delicious and nutritious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always wanted to dry roasting chickpeas, I think I might go for it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Avocado is my face but i just like it sweet, so i'm kinda not a fan of guacamole. I also am into healthy eating as i work out, so this is soo nice! Thanks for sharing this recipe, hoping that i'll have time to prep this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you stevevhan, glad you like the look of this recipe :)

      Delete
  11. This looks healthy and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too am not sure about Kale, but I have really been wondering about roasted chickpeas, which I’ve seen mentioned elsewhere. Your success has motivated me to open a can and try them today! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, you are very welcome and Kale is definitely not everyone's cup of tea. Baby Kale is less bitter. I enjoyed the roast chickpeas very much and will be looking for more flavorings, just for the variety.

      Delete
  13. There is also someone in our home who is not fond of kale, so I would have to try this solo as you did Denise. I have a can of chickpeas and have read about roasting them for a snack, so may give that a try this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy, I hope you like them. They make a great snack.

      Delete
  14. Great recipe. I'm not a kale fan, but I do eat it or baby spinach almost every day for an eye condition I have. I am always looking for new ways to fix it and you've given me a great idea. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy you like the look of it Buttercup. Baby kale is not as bitter I find, but I do enjoy baby spinach and will often put a packet in my basket. That's interesting you take it for an eye condition. I am glad it helps.

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Kale is one of those foods you either love or loathe :) Avocados, I enjoy very much.

      Delete
  16. This looks good Denise, and we love avocado :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!