Tuesday, May 28, 2019

I TOOK OUR DECK CAMERA ALONG....

on a trip this past weekend.  We were with family and we all attended a dear friend's wedding of her daughter.  I'm sorry I can't share any of those as I want to maintain their anonymity, but it was a wonderful wedding, one we truly enjoyed.  What a blessing it is to be with people you like, love and admire.
 I decided to take the motion camera we use on our deck for the birds, thinking you never know.  When we pulled up to the house where we were staying, the yard had several trees.  Under two of the trees resting from the sun, there was a small herd of deer.  Our welcome party got up and left shortly afterwards, but the very next day we hooked up the camera on one of the trees.  The trunk was very thick and our strap barely made it around (the camera could have done with being a foot lower but it was impossible to do that).  However, we got some interesting sights.  Not as sharp as we would like in some, but at least it was something, and fun to download on our return.
 The deer definitely noticed that something was up.  A spider came along and spun a web which made for an interesting set of photos.



 The web disappeared and in the shot below we saw the unmistable design of rings on the tail, identifying a racoon running by, mostly out of frame unfortunately.
Morning breaks and they scurry away.
The camera took numerous shots as there was a lot of coming and going over the weekend, with cars going back and forth along the driveway that leads up to the house.  Also there was a strong breeze and the leaves did their part.  In the photo below you will be able to see a deer in the bottom right-hand corner.
 Who knows what else the camera could have given us if we had stayed longer, but for a first time taking it away from home, I was delighted with what it picked up.
 A practice session for future trips.
We just had to keep reminding ourselves to pick up the deck cam before we left for home.

Now for the videos.



























Thanks for stopping by and enjoy the rest of your week.




36 comments:

  1. We live right beside Charlottesville! We are less than a half hour away from there. Our doctors are there, and we go there to shop. Oh, how I wish we could have met! Your pictures and videos are just splendid. We watch T.V. shows where nature experts set up these cameras in the woods, and yours are just as interesting!! The spider web looks huge! Probably because it is so close to the camera. Looks like the deer ran into it and broke it up. What fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, I didn't know you were so close. We do want to get back there sometime as we have always wanted to go to Monticello. I'll let you know when we do, as maybe we can meet up for lunch? Glad you enjoyed this post :)

      Delete
  2. The spider web was fascinating - as were the deer and the raccoon. You can call that experiment a success. A big success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too EC, loved studying them. Thank you :)

      Delete
  3. I wish, oh how I wish I had one of those cameras.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's brilliant - I thought that kind of kit was the sole preserve of folk who make these amazing wildlife programmes. You got some some wonderful results there - and the potential is enormous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now you have another avenue to explore, photographically, Denise. In a future post can you include a photo and more info on the deck cam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I do and I am putting a post up about the deck cam on Saturday :)

      Delete
  6. Hello, I love seeing the deer. They are cute critters. Great captures! Wishing you a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree Eileen and thank you. Happy day to you too :)

      Delete
  7. How neat! And I've never seen a spider web show up like that! WOW! Great idea! Glad the wedding was nice too! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a super duper idea to take the cam with you. I would not have thought of that. I want one for our yard. I love that web shot and even more the web in the video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, when you do get one I shall enjoy your photos. I bet you can see some neat things in your Florida home, especially at night.

      Delete
  9. Interesting activity. You get to look around in two places at once.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh what fun to see the wildlife with you!


    mine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze_F1xAtHN8&t=3s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always is fun to look at the wildlife Cloudia, and thank you for the link. I loved your duck video.

      Delete
  11. I always wonder with these animals what they think of the camera!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Denise,
    What a fascinating post and what a wonderful idea to take the deck camera along, some wonderful images and love the spiders web appearance.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you John and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  13. This is so neat, Denise. I'm so glad you had a lovely time and certainly some great captures with your deck camera. So nice to see the spider web!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martha Ellen, it was my first ever web shot and I didn't even have to take it :)

      Delete
  14. How fun! I especially enjoyed the videos, and the spider's web...

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cool to have the spider web in there!
    I gave my daughter my spare trail cam and she posted a video: http://mariejavins.blogspot.com/2019/04/out-back.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, I checked it out and it was a lot of fun.

      Delete
  16. Just love the spiders web.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has an interesting effect I thought. Glad you enjoyed it too. All the best Jan :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!