Monday, March 4, 2019

MONDAY RECIPE POST - FRESH STRAWBERRY BREAD


I made this on Monday, February 11th, 2019.  I had strawberries left in the fridge and needed to use them up.  The recipe came from Lemon Tree Dwelling and its host is Cathy.  You can see her recipe here.  I recommend going to her blog for the photos alone, and you will see lots of delicious recipes.  Thank you for this one Cathy, it was delicious.

Fresh Strawberry Bread - makes 1 loaf

Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour and 10 minutes

2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups fresh sliced strawberries

Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl; fold in fresh strawberries.

Pour into a greased loaf pan.

Bake at 350 degrees for 55-65 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and completely set.

Cool slightly then loosen sides of loaf from pan.  Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.  

We enjoyed this very much, it was yummy. A few observations:

I had to bake the bread longer than the time above.  When tested after 60 minutes, it was uncooked in the middle and was still pale on the top.  I added 15 extra minutes.  (My oven always seems to need more cooking time for most recipes.  You might want to check cooking time with your own to prevent over-cooking.)

My batter seemed too stiff and dry. I added splashes of milk until I felt it was the right consistency, and similar to other quick breads I have made.  

I wish I had thought to add 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.  We missed those nuts we usually put in these breads.  

It came out of the pan without a problem after loosening the edges, as suggested in Cathy's recipe.  

It was a very easy recipe.  Best of all it tasted great.

The long serving plate was a gift from my daughter-in-law last year.  

It actually comes with a dip bowl but I only needed the plate this time.  The bowl has two pieces, one for the dip which fits into a container that has an opening for a tea light, to keep whatever you have above nice and warm.  This would go great for my spinach and artichoke dip recipe.

She buys the cutest gifts for birthdays and Christmas, always so thoughtfully given.  I love the little bird among the flowers, and now for the owl.  

Knowing how much I love birds, last Christmas one of her gifts to me was a ball of birdseed on a string in the shape of an owl.  You can see it in the photo above as it peaks through the cellophane wrapper.  I haven't put it outside yet because I have been enjoying it and didn't want to see it disappear too quickly.  Soon the birds will get their feast.  Very cute, and with thanks to my sweet daughter-in-law, not only for her thoughtful gifts but also for the fact that she brings a lot of happiness to our family.





35 comments:

  1. Wow, she is a talented gift giver! This set is beautiful and unusual. And the owl is just way too cute to use! I bet this bread smelled so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She certainly is. I haven't put the owl out yet :) And yes the smell of the strawberry bread was so good, especially when you walked back into the house from outside.

      Delete
  2. She certainly knows you well to give you these special gifts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the plate, Denise. I would be reluctant to use it in case I spoiled it. I have copied your recipe, it sounds so good I decided to give it a go. Now I need to persuade neighbour to go shopping for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Valerie and I do feel reluctant but at the same time I like to share its prettiness with those who come to the house for a meal. Hope you enjoy this recipe and maybe you would let me know.

      Delete
  4. Never heard of strawberry bread, looks delicious, is there an artist name on the reverse of the pottery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, it doesn't have an artist's name underneath but it does say Grasslands Road. I haven't been able to find this design so that I can add to it and I would dearly love to do that.

      Delete
  5. I love the bowl and plate and the bread i think i can smell it.. i have never heard of strawberry bread but i love bannana or blueberry which means i would love this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, I love banana and blueberry too.

      Delete
  6. Replies

    1. Muito obrigado, estou feliz que tenha gostado.

      Delete
  7. That looks good!

    I would keep the "owl" inside too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandi and the owl is still inside :)

      Delete
  8. That owl is fabulous seems a shame to put it outside!
    My husband would love this cake but strawberries do not agree with me so I would have to change the fruit. Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, I am having a hard time parting with it at the moment but will give it to the birds eventually :) Keep well also.

      Delete
  9. Very cute gifts! Thanks for the recipe, I must try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine and you are very welcome :)

      Delete
  10. I love recipes for quick breads. I'm going to try this with almond milk (we don't do dairy). Your plate and container are so cute, and the little owl has a good place to wait until it goes outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Barb, I have made more this year than I have in a long time. Glad you enjoyed my daughter-in-law's gifts.

      Delete
  11. It looks very yummy …
    Lovely gifts from your daughter-in-law.
    Enjoy this new week.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bread looks delicious and strawberries are still at their peak in the farm fields around here ! Your daughter-in-law is a thoughtful gifter ... that set is perfect for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, how wonderful and I agree, she is. Thank you :)

      Delete
  13. Your strawberry bread sure looks good, Denise. How sweet the lovely platter and bowl are with the darling bird embossed upon it. Your daughter-in-law knows you well to gift bird items. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it all Martha Ellen, she does and so thoughtful as I said. You enjoy your week also :)

      Delete
  14. I love your gifts, too. And the bread looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rose, I need to make another one some time.

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Glad you like the look of it William, thank you :)

      Delete
  16. Thanks very much for sharing the recipe Denise, it looks delicious. It reminded me of once when I had a surplus of strawberries, rather than waste them I added them to my all-in-one cake mixture and it worked well too... they give a delightful taste to a cake or bread and seem to hold a lot of their shape in the cooking.
    I was admiring your beautiful cake plate and was then really pleased to read more about it. What thoughtful gifts they are - beautiful too and with the personal "just for you" touch. A delightful post to start the day here thanks Denise xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Sue and thank you for your sweet comments :)

      Delete
  17. Wow what a great recipe ,thankyou for sharing it with us xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!