Tuesday, March 19, 2019

HUNTLEY MEADOWS PARK IN ALEXANDRIA

First of all, thank you for the many Birthday Greetings on Gregg's special day.  He read them all and was very touched by the comments made. I said once again what a great family our blogging community is.  I have known that from the beginning so thank you my friends, from the both of us.


As many regular visitors will know, I have shared Huntley Meadows many times before since I have been blogging.  This was our first visit of the year.  Our last one was in the Fall.  It was good to see new signs of life.  The trees are showing lots of buds.
There were plenty of turtles sunning themselves on logs, and one or two in the water.
There were plenty of geese in the area too, some who had paired up in preparation for nesting, others on their own.  There was a little territorial honking and flapping of wings going on also, and some beat a hasty retreat.
Mr. and Mrs. Mallard were enjoying a late lunch, munching on new shoots rising out of the water.
I was very happy to see this lovely water bird.  He is a Northern Shoveler.  I don't ever remember seeing him before except in my bird book, so was happy to add him to my lifer list.  I read that they liked to forage in shallow wetlands.  You can read more about him here.
Gregg spotted this bird on the other side of one pond, and I recognized it as a Catbird, and you can read about him at this link.
   I was actually trying to get a focus on two other male Northern Shovelers, and completely missed the little Catbird just below them (photo below).  Fortunately I have a great spotter with me.  

As I began to move on Gregg asked if I had seen this interesting little bird.  Thinking he meant the Shoveler pair I said yes, but am glad I retraced my steps to his side as he was pointing in their direction.  I cropped the photo to get an even closer look when I got home.  Gregg can always spot things I miss the first time around.  
There were two geese at the side of the walkway, in the water a couple of feet below.  Obviously not bothered by anyone's presence, they stared at us as we walked by.  I got a shot of this one.  They always make me smile these Canada Geese.  They are so feisty, and their territorial honking could be heard all along our walk.  We were almost back to where we began at this point.
It really was a beautiful day, still a tad too chilly to leave our coats behind in the car, but the sun was good medicine and our walk in these beautiful surroundings was great.  Here is one last shot of a Northern Shoveler with its mate.
We are now off the boardwalk which takes us through the marshy area, and are heading back to our car along the path through the wood.  There have been many others enjoying themselves.  We pass people who are heading into the park.  There were lots of children beside couples like us.  It is good to see parents and grandparents introducing these young ones to everything we love about nature.   
I look up and see the trees coming to life.  They are a glorious sight.
"My wish is to stay always like this, living quietly in a corner of nature."


Have a great week everyone, and thanks for stopping by.









42 comments:

  1. I do so love your Monet quote! And what a coincidence!!! This month we spotted Shovelers for the first time too, and added them to our bird life list. Ours were in a pond a bit away, so my pictures are not as good as yours. But I will be posting them. I love their yellow eyes and long bills!! They are so impressive. We have quite a few Catbirds around here. They can imitate a lot of different sounds! And they really can sound just like a cat mewing. They are very shy and good at hiding, so we usually hear them before we see them. Great capture of the Mallard's emerald green neck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny, me too. That is a coincidence, I will look forward to your photos of them. They certainly are a pretty bird. I rarely get to see the Catbird and have read what good mimics they are. I hope it won't take as long to see my next sighting :)

      Delete
  2. Another lovely place o visii and it was great that you saw a new bird to your list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, the Shoveler. I like that bird very much. Since reading this I have hunted for photographs taken at wildlife areas but I'm damned if I can find them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie, I hope you find that photo sometime :)

      Delete
  4. Hello, lovely walk in the park. I like the pretty Northern Shoveler and the Catbird. Great sightings. The turtles are cute too. Enjoy your day, have a happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the birds know spring is on the way and almost there. you sure found the mother lode of birds. the shoveler is new to me and looks a lot like a mallard but different beak.. your hubyy is a great spotter... I would love to walk on that path

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, it is a great place to see birds but I know the birdlife you have in Florida, which I hope to see again one day :)

      Delete
  6. Seeing a lifer is a big deal. I lead a bird watching group and often they will see a lifer. It's exciting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be fun to go out with one of your bird watching groups Red, I felt I had been given a great gift to see a new bird to me, always exciting :)

      Delete
  7. Lovely spring photos, welcome spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine and welcome spring indeed :)

      Delete
  8. I find the northern shovelers fascinating. We don't see them here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first time I have noticed them here William.

      Delete
  9. Hi Denise,
    Some wonderful images of the Catbird, {a bird I have never heard of let alone seen}
    The Shoveler is a favourite of mine as you will have seen in my posts.
    Wonderful to have seen the Turtles.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, many wonderful birds in the world aren't there? The turtles were a nice surprise. I thought it would have been too nippy for them. All the best to you too :)

      Delete
  10. I've never seen Shovelers in person, Denise. How exciting for you and your husband. This is a lovely area and a wonderful quote by Monet! Thank you for sharing your special day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first time too Martha Ellen, for both of us. Glad you enjoyed and you are so very welcome.

      Delete
  11. Hi Denise, glad that Gregg had a nice day for an outing and that together you both saw lots of wildlife and a great walk outdoors too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy, it certainly was a great day :)

      Delete
  12. The turtles on the log are so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great stuff, Denise. This could have been done by a true blue, died-in-the-wool birder!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would have loved to be there to see all this...looks like such a lovely place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, it is one of our favorites around here :)

      Delete
  15. It's been a couple of decades since I was there. When I lived in Alexandria I would visit Huntley Meadows every now and then. Thanks for the picture tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Linda, we always love our visits there :)

      Delete
  16. It's good to see families out and about walking in Huntley Meadows surrounded by nature. Your photos are beautiful. I like the muted colours of this time of year there. Then the brighter plumage of male water birds stands out. The grey Catbird is unusual and well camouflaged. Love the turtles sunning themselves on the log. Belated birthday wishes to your husband. Have a lovely rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it's always fun to see them and thank you for the sweet comments. We were very lucky with the sunshine, it makes a big difference when taking photos. Thank you for hubby's birthday greetings also. I hope you've had a super weekend :)

      Delete
  17. There are some signs of Spring here in NW PA, but we are not as far into Spring as you. Soon, I hope, the temperature warms into at least the 50s AND stays there. I was thinking this morning a trip to our local Audubon is overdue. A warm day (and less muddy trails) are needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, hopefully by now you will see signs of Spring. We are in the 50s today and our neighbor's magnolia tree is starting to bloom.

      Delete
  18. Great to see new birds and even better to have a photographic record of the encounter. Well don.lovely post. Have a good day, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, it's often a case of luck! You have a good day also :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!