Monday, February 18, 2019

MONDAY RECIPE POST - A SOUP FOR BUSY DAYS



This week's recipe came from Simple Stacie, another great food blog whose host Stacie lives in Ontario, Canada.  This is the link to her recipe.

Busy Day Soup
Serves 6
Calories per serving 230, which does not include our additions of the peppers and the spoonful of sour cream.

Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour 25 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes

1 lb. ground beef
1 package onion soup mix (there is also a copycat homemade version to replace the store-bought onion soup mix packet below)
1-3/4 cups mixed frozen vegetables
5 cups water
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 cup macaroni, uncooked

In a large soup pot, brown ground beef.  Drain off fat.  Pour in water, onion soup mix and tomatoes with juice.  Simmer for 1 hour on medium low.

Add macaroni and frozen vegetables.  Cook 15 minutes longer on medium heat.  Serve hot.

Nutritional information:

Calories: 230  
Total Fat: 3.1g
Saturated Fat: 1.3g
Trans Fat: 0.1g
Unsaturated Fat: 1.4g
Cholesterol: 45.2 mg
Sodium: 522.4mg
Carbohydrates: 28.5g
Fiber: 5.1g
Sugar: 5 g
Protein: 22.1g




I have made this twice now, once for our last lot of company, and yesterday for us.  It was enjoyed by all.


This is one of the easier prep soups we have made.  We added extra pasta and a few cups of beef broth the second time as we wanted more broth.  Also, because the pasta is not pre-cooked, we thought it would have absorbed more broth.  The noodles are added to the soup the last 15 minutes of cooking time. 


I exchanged the macaroni for bowtie pasta.



Last weekend I put a small cheese tray together for our company.  I was looking for extra color and I came across the above at the supermarket.  On the packet they are called Sweety Drop Peruvian Peppers and are 25 calories for 2 tablespoons.   They are tiny peppers not much bigger than the size of a green pea.  I have been eating them as a snack and what I had left I added them to the broth.  They are pickled but not overpowering, and they made a nice flavor addition to the soup.  I like these and would buy them again if available.



We put a dollop of sour cream on top for garnish.

The soup is delicious.  The temperature has taken a bit of a nose-dive again and soup is always a great comfort food on a chilly night.

I made cornbread to serve with the soup but you really don't need anything else as it is very hearty and good on its own.

Added recipe:

Copycat Onion Soup Mix
If you are like me and trying to delete as many preservatives and additives out of your life as you can, I found this copycat version here at 'A Mind "Full" of Mom'.

Homemade Dry Onion Soup Mix
This homemade recipe is gluten-free, paleo, whole 30 approved, egg free, corn free and vegan, for those who need to take note.  The host of  'A Mind "Full" of Mom' says it is just like Lipton Onion Soup Mix, and is great for a variety of recipes.  

Preparation time: 5 minutes 

1/2 cup dried onion flakes 
1 teaspoon onion powder 
1 teaspoon garlic powder 
1/2 teaspoon celery powder 
1/2 teaspoon pepper 
1 teaspoon dried parsley 
1 teaspoon salt 

Combine and store in airtight container.    

Dry onion soup mix can be stored in your pantry for up to three months for best flavor.

When a recipe calls for 1 packet of dried onion soup mix, use 1/4 cup of this homemade blend.


Have a great week everyone and thank you for visiting.





32 comments:

  1. It looks delicious. But best of all is the homemade Lipton soup mix!!! Wow, I am saving this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, thank you and glad you like the look of this and the homemade soup mix :)

      Delete
  2. The soup looks so hearty and finishing it off with a dollop of sour cream is just the best idea.
    I think I've said it before but I do love your extra twists to recipes Denise.
    Thanks too for the onion soup mix - homemade... love it :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, so glad you like the little extras :)

      Delete
  3. I like the name Busy Day Soup. If you come across a lazy day soup I would be pleased to see it. Seriously, I need something to get me out of using canned soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerie, you made me laugh and I certainly will let you know. This was real easy to put together, it went very fast. Know what you mean by those canned soups though. I still occasionally open one. Did your mum ever buy the cans of oxtail soup? My mum used to love that and sometimes made her own.

      Delete
  4. Hello, the busy day soup and the homemade onion soup mix sound delicious. I am saving both of these recipes. Thanks for sharing. Wishing you a happy day and new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, hope you enjoy whenever you decide to make these. You are very welcome and you have a great evening an a week ahead too.

      Delete
  5. It looks good but I never use soup mixes all our vegetables come from the garden. Have a good week Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, how marvelous to have your own vegetables. That would be great to put into these soups. Gregg's sister has her own vegetable garden and shares photos of them every now and again. I love nothing better than to go to the farmers markets as I know those vegetables are fresh from the fields. You have a good week too :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Foi delicioso :) Obrigado e desejo-lhe uma boa semana também :)

      Delete
  7. Hmmm...there's an idea for the ground beef I have defrosting in the fridge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to have planted the seed Sandi, thank you :)

      Delete
  8. the first thing I thought was no to the onion soup mix, I would do what you did, add some of the things you listed instead... I try not to use mixes of prepared things if at all possible. the soup looks wonderful and bowtie is my favorite pasta. as soon as I get to my goal weight I will start to add a little pasta in my food plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, I know you are careful what you eat, that is such a great thing. You have done so well with everything, I'm sure you will be down to that goal weight real soon. Big pat on the back from me and a well done! :)

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks Christine, it was an excellent soup for this kind of weather we are having. Snow again on Wednesday!

      Delete
  10. Have you used the copycat version of dry onion soup mix?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not yet Linda but next time I will be buying what I need. I already had the onion soup mix in the pantry before I started thinking about it. I guess I should have just tossed it out but oh well!

      Delete
  11. It looks sooo good and I think the butterfly pasta really makes it look prettier than it woul. And I really appreciate the onion soup mix recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sallie, you are so very welcome and that butterfly pasta does make it a little more special I think.

      Delete
  12. Denise, your recipes almost always make me hungry! This sounds like something we would like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, I feel the same way when I look at food blogs :) Happy you like the look of it.

      Delete
  13. Yummy! Thank you so much for that better for you Lipton Onion Soup mix clone, too. That was something in my mom's pantry and really can perk up a dull hunk of meat. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ellen, our mum's were the best cooks weren't they?

      Delete
  14. I love the name 'Busy Day Soup'
    Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan, you're very welcome. Glad you enjoyed the look of this one. All the best to you too.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!