Monday, January 21, 2019

MONDAY RECIPE POST - OATMEAL FAVORITE


I have always enjoyed oatmeal.  My mother used to send us off to school - usually on a cold morning - having just eaten a bowl of 'porridge', as we used to call it.  I saw this version at The Kitchn and the link for the recipe can be found here.

Morning Oatmeal
1 serving

1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup 2 percent milk (or you can use whole)
2 teaspoons of honey or brown sugar
A pinch of cinnamon
A pinch of salt

Suggested toppings: a handful of berries or chopped fruit, a spoonful of nuts or nut butter, a sprinkle of flaxseed or shredded coconut.

Instructions: combine all the ingredients in a small pot over high heat.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook 5 to 7 minutes, until oats are plump and the mixture is thick.

Serve immediately with your toppings of choice. 
~~~~~~
It felt like an oatmeal morning today.  I have had this version for a while.  Usually I like to make several servings in a crockpot with apples and dried cranberries, but this was for one serving and I could whip it up quickly.

I couldn't find the cinnamon and did not use.  Still very tasty.  The toppings on hand were strawberries, blueberries and walnuts, a favorite combination of mine.  

The snow is still on the ground but none forecast for a while. (This was from Saturday.)


We have one more day to enjoy our company.  It has been a lovely weekend.



I'm leaving you with this photo and wise words.  I am not sure where it came from.  I forgot to take a note at the time I collected it, but I thought it was lovely and worthy of sharing.





Thanks for stopping by and I hope your week is a great one.




30 comments:

  1. It is too hot to even think about oatmeal at the moment, but in a few months I will fall in love again.
    Enjoy your company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, this is just a wonderful post!!!! I adore it. And the oatmeal looks so yummy and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bowl of oatmeal looks so inviting and delicious with its additions.
    Even though it's a hot summer over here, we still have a handful of raw oatmeal in our shake :D)
    Enjoy this new week xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have overnight oatmeal here as they call it. I also think it isn't cooked. :)

      Delete
  4. Ah yes, porridge, the seemingly be all of breakfast. I so disliked it then and only got to like it when adulthood came. Mind you, I wouldn't mind a bowl of porridge now to warm me up - it's teeth chattering cold here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember loving oatmeal but I'm sure it's an acquired taste. Hope it warms up for you soon Valerie :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Eu concordo, quanto mais velho eu me torno, mais eu percebo isso :)

      Delete
  6. I put crunch peanut butter in my oatmeal. that is to kill the taste of the oat meal. big boy loves my pb oatmeal. he gets a spoon full

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oatmeal is so comforting especially in the cold times. Beautiful quote.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are many ways to cook oatmeal. I like oatmeal but I always use the same horrible fast recipe. I throw in raisins or cranberry for the last minute...microwave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Red, I only ever cooked my oatmeal plain, mother too, and then I saw various recipes introducing me to the fruit topped ones.

      Delete
  9. We make oatmeal and put "everything but the kitchen sink" in it!! Depending on our mood, that morning. :-) We alternate oatmeal, one morning, with eggs, the next.

    Mon./today high near 3 degrees
    Monday night our low will be -6 degrees.
    Tues. high near 16 degrees.
    Tues. night low near 13.

    Mmmmm, how do you like those numbers????? ,-)

    ✨❄✨❄✨❄✨

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Denise,
    Always had a weakness for a good bowl of porridge in the Winter.
    Love the Wise words, have a good last day with your company.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John, for oatmeal lovers can't beat porridge on a cold day, and thank you, we all had a super time. All the best to you too.

      Delete
  11. Oatmeal is my favorites too, Denise, and there are so many ways to enjoy it. I have out yogurt, maple syrup and applesauce on mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's nice Dorothy, yogurt and maple syrup, as well as applesauce sound like delicious additions.

      Delete
  12. I have oats every morning but I do not cook it, just have it with Yoghurt. Have a good day, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds very nice that way too Diane. You have a good day also.

      Delete
  13. Love the look of those berries and nuts.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :) I am off to the store to get more. All the best to you too Jan :)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!