Monday, December 17, 2018

MONDAY RECIPE POST - MAKE-AHEAD GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE

Even though there are many recipes available for this particular dish, my recipe comes from Food Network.  (I forgot to take a photo of this dish.  I will add one the next time it is made.  In the meantime you can see a photo on their website here.)  

Make-ahead Green Bean Casserole 
6 to 8 servings

1-1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and halved crosswise
2 tablespoons of unsalted butter
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 pound of button mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
2 cups of low-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth if you want to keep this vegetarian)
1/2 cup of half-and-half
Freshly ground black pepper
1-1/2 cups prepared fried onions

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.

Add the green beans and cook until crisp-tender, but still a bright green.  This takes about ten minutes.

Drain and shake off any excess moisture; set aside.

Melt the butter in a medium pot over medium heat.

Add the onions and cook, stirring until soft, about 8 minutes.  

Add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt, and continue to cook, stirring until they are soft and most of the liquid has evaporated, about ten minutes.

Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and stir until all the flour has been absorbed, about 1 minute.

Add the chicken broth, half and half, 3/4 teaspoon of salt and several grinds of pepper.

Bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon.  This will take about 5 minutes.

Remove pot from the heat, add the green beans and stir into the sauce until they are well-coated.  

Transfer the mixture to a 3-quart baking dish.

Let it cool to room temperature, and then wrap well with aluminum foil.  Label and date.  You can freeze up to 2 weeks.  (I didn't have to do this as I made it up the day before, and left it in the fridge overnight.)  

To serve, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

If frozen, discard the foil from the casserole.  Cover with new foil and bake until warmed through, about 45 minutes.  Uncover and top with the fried onions.  Continue to bake until the casserole is hot and bubby, and the onions have crisped slightly.  This will take about 20 minutes more.  

Serve and enjoy.

Cook's Note:

You can serve right away instead of freezing.  Just top the green bean mixture with the fried onions just before putting in the oven, and bake until the casserole is hot and bubbly, and the onions have crisped slightly, 25 to 30 minutes.  


This was on the table at Thanksgiving, and is a Gregg favorite.  His mother was a great cook and she used to make it for him when he was growing up, along with many other delicious meals.

I also learned a lot from my own mother, and I wish I could tell her now how I thought her a terrific cook.  Our mums are unsung heroes in many ways.  My Mum's Sunday Roasts were incredible, and I will be thinking of her when I make her Standing Rib Roast and Yorkshire Pudding, along with all the fixings for our Christmas meal.  

(Mum would have enjoyed this green bean casserole, especially if they were made with Dad's fresh-from-the-garden green beans.  We had one of those little cutters which fashioned them into French-style, the only way I like beans now really.  I enjoyed working at the kitchen table as she fixed the rest of our dinner. These simple chores she gave me are good memories.  It may also be a childhood nostalgia memory for me, but I have never tasted anything better than Mum's cooking, nor Dad's fresh-from-the-garden vegetables.)

Gregg gave me a big thumb's up when I asked if he would like me to make this again for our Christmas Meal.

Thank you for stopping by and I hope your week is a great one.




22 comments:

  1. It does sound really good. And so much better for you than the standard recipe using canned soup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny, I am trying to go healthier these days.

      Delete
  2. This does sound good. Thank you. Relatively simple and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is nice that the dish is reminiscent of days gone by with memories of your parents. With me cooking memories would be of my aunt who baked and cooked seemingly every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember my mum cooking every day too, also my aunts.

      Delete
  4. Lovely fresh take on what people used to make using canned mushroom soup....(I did that too back in the days before I learned better). Sweet Holiday memories...thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the make ahead part is good for me. especially if someone else makes it HAHA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that's nice but at least I get a lot of help ;)

      Delete
  6. I imagine that one could substitute a different vegetable? I have an aversion to beans of any kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would put any favorite vegetable in there William.

      Delete
  7. Green Bean is one of my favorites.
    thank you for recipe of Green Bean Casserole
    have a great day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine too Tanza and you are very welcome. You have a great day too.

      Delete
  8. Such a lovely recipe with no canned soups, Denise! Hearing your memories of your mum are so nice to hear. I feel the same about my Mama's cooking--nothing like it! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed them, nice to hear about your Mama's cooking.

      Delete
  9. Thanks for this recipe, Denise, ad thus will be a good alternative to the version we were considering this weekend. Also enjoyed reading the memories you have of your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dorothy, glad you enjoyed my recipe and my memories.

      Delete
  10. Sounds very good Denise.
    Nice memories about your Mum too.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!