Monday, December 10, 2018

MONDAY RECIPE POST - HAM AND PEAS PASTA WITH GARLIC PARMESAN CREAM SAUCE



An interesting photo to start this week's food post off with, but this is what I do when the day is almost over.  Gregg is watching his sports show upstairs and before I go too - it's already after midnight as I finish this post off -  I settle down with a cup of tea and watch a Hallmark Christmas movie.  I have an old blanket which was knitted by a very dear neighbor many, many years ago.  This is Mrs. Brown's Blanket, a gift she gave us when we left the old neighborhood, at least five or six moves ago.  It is such a warm throw and has stood the test of time, been in the washer a thousand times. If an adult has a blankie, this is mine.  It is very comforting on a winter's evening and so I settle down, turn the TV on and turn to one of my favorite channels at this time of the year.  I love a good old fashioned, schmaltzy movie, what can I say?

Now to this week's food post.  We made a pasta dish and it was excellent.  I found it here at Damn Delicious.  Its host is Chungah and her blog is full of super looking recipes.  I look forward to trying them.  I hope you will take a look at her original recipe.  Her photos are excellent also.  Any lettering you find in my posts that are in red, it is usually a link relating to the post I share.


Ham and Peas with Garlic Parmesan Cream Sauce
Serves 4

Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes

As our host says, this is a great way to use up all of the leftover ham from Thanksgiving.  "It is amazingly creamy, comforting and kid-friendly!" she says.  I agree.  

8 ounces of spaghetti (I use Angel Hair spaghetti, something my mother-in-law introduced us to years ago and we now prefer it to the thicker spaghetti)
1/4 cup of unsalted butter
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
1 cup of chicken broth, or more, as needed
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 cup of half and half
1/2 cup of freshly grated Parmesan
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 cups chopped spiral sliced honey ham
1 cup frozen sweet peas
2 tablespoons of chopped fresh parsley leaves (for garnish)

In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta according to package directions.  Drain well.

To make the garlic Parmesan cream sauce, melt butter in the skillet over medium heat.  

Add your chopped garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant - about 2 minutes.  

Whisk in the flour until lightly browned - about 1 minute.

Gradually whisk in chicken broth, thyme and basil.  Cook, whisking constantly until incorporated - about 1 to 2 minutes.

Stir in the half-and-half and Parmesan until slightly thickened, about 1 to 2 minutes.  If the mixture is too thick, add more half-and-half as needed.  

Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Stir in the spaghetti, ham and peas, and gently toss to combine.

Serve immediately, garnished with the chopped parsley if using.

Chungah's notes:

Half-and-half is equal parts of whole cream and milk.  For 1 cup of half-and-half you can substitute 3/4 cup of whole milk and 1/4 cup of heavy cream, or 2/3 cup of skim or low-fat milk, plus 1/3 cup of heavy cream.

(If you are watching calories, I wonder about using nothing but 2% milk.  Maybe it would affect the creaminess in this dish, but I am going to give it a try next time.)

My notes: when Gregg was out one day I prepared early and got all the ingredients chopped, grated and measured out, refrigerating what I needed to.  When he came home he wanted to try his hand at making a sauce from scratch, so took over the rest of the meal.  We both have fun being in the kitchen together.  I usually at this point sit down at the kitchen table and read out the directions, which makes everything move quickly.  It was a fast meal and on the table in no time at all.

I only had enough ham leftover from Thanksgiving to make 1 cup, but it didn't detract from the meal.  Next time I will stick to the correct measurement.

We have leftovers so we won't have to cook tomorrow.  That will be nice as we are going to be out for most of the day.  

Have a great week everyone, and thanks for stopping by.





34 comments:

  1. Your tree is pretty! Just reading the title of this recipe made my mouth water. I am copying and printing it! I will make it as soon as we get plowed out from the snow and get to the grocery store. I ONLY use Angel Hair, and do not care for the thicker spaghettis at all!! Can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very happy you like it enough to make Ginnie. I saw your snow post, you had quite a lot down there! We have had none in our neck of the woods and I hope yours goes away soon. Stay warm my friend :)

      Delete
  2. Not for my vegetarian self, but the other member of the household would love it.
    Isn't it lovely to cook with your partner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you could leave the meat out and put more veggies in. Yes it is lovely!

      Delete
  3. I went to her website. Then when I returned here, could not remember if I had hit the publish button on the comments! Love your tree, can't wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you hit the publish button Ginnie, I am just slow moderating lately. Thank you and let me know what you think of it when you do. I'm always curious :)

      Delete
  4. The recipe sound delicious. Have a good day Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. After midnight, you say, and just going to watch a movie. When do you sleep is what I want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Foi muito gostoso. Obrigado por visitar e um abraço e uma boa semana para você, sua amiga Denise :)

      Delete
  7. Hello, this does look delicious. I will have to bookmark the recipe and weblink. I remember when my hubby made his first white sauce. he thought you had to stir it for too long. Your tree is pretty, I have been watching the Hallmark Christmas movies too. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice that you hubby likes to cook also. How nice you also like the Hallmark movies. A happy Monday and a great week to you too :)

      Delete
  8. How lovely Denise - that seems a very simple one to make and would definitely meet all requirements when the need for a pasta dish arises. Thanks for sharing.
    I enjoyed reading about your blankie and your evening routine. It's the little things that make us most content isn't it. Cheers now :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue and you are very welcome, it is a very easy dish to put together. I agree wholeheartedly, it is the little things. Cheers to you too :)

      Delete
  9. p.s. I've just looked up Hallmark Christmas Movies as I too love that sort of thing this time of year. YouTube have plenty so... me too :D) 🎅🎄

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find myself missing seeing a photo of 'your blanket', nothing like using leftovers in a new dish, love these kind of recipes, especially the quick ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will post a clearer picture one of these days, but it's the little bit in the bottom right with my socked feet sticking out :)

      Delete
  11. This looks divine, maybe I will try this thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your late evening plans, are perfection!

    I (and therefor we, since we only have 1 tv) are "OD_ing" on Hallmark Christmas movies!!!!!!! :-) He enjoys them too, even though he is reading his paper, when they are on. But of course, if there is something he wants to watch, we have that on. I don't demand Hallmark, all the time. :-)

    Both our husbands like to cook! Isn't that delightful? Yes it is!!!!!

    ✨��✨



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, delightful :) How nice we both enjoy those movies.

      Delete
  13. That looks good and comforting! Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy,yummy,yummy in my tummy, tummy,tummy. Don’t faint. I am alive and kicking but way more slowly. In face, I have forgotten how to post to the blog it has been sososo long. I just wanted to tell you as I was lifting out all of my woolen British ornaments, I was thinking of you. I continue to use my tea cozy and hope, the good Lord willing, I will be able to drink some Earl Grey and figure out how to go back to posting to my blog. Hope you are well. Would love to see you. Hugs, Genie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you Genie, I have your ornaments on my tree!!! I popped by your blog but as you hadn't posted, I didn't leave a message. I should have, sorry about that. I'd love to see you too and have missed you. Hugs back to you with dear friend :)

      Delete
  15. the recipe sounds delish and is one we would love. I have not been up after midnight more than a half dozen times in my life. bed time is 8 and we get up at 4.. so while we sleep you are watching Hallmark. I watch my Hallmark at 7:30 am when bob goes to the park.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The recipe sounds absolutely delicious...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!