Monday, November 5, 2018

MONDAY RECIPE POST - CREAM POTATO SOUP



This soup is now a favorite of ours thanks to Serene at House of Yum.  You can see her original recipe here.  She has all kinds of recipes I am going to try, and her photos alone make me want to head to the kitchen.  This is also a fast soup and you can have it on the table within the hour.  (I add that because it always takes me longer to  prepare ingredients than the time allotted. You may get it all done a lot sooner than I did, and I will add Serene's preparation time below.)

Creamy Potato Soup 

Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: 6

6 slices of bacon, chopped
1 small yellow onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
4 cups of chicken broth (unsalted)
1 cup of milk (your choice - I used 2%)
1 cup of half and half (or if you want to go lighter I expect you can use an equal amount of your choice of milk.  I stuck with the half and half.)
3 pounds of potatoes, peeled and diced to 1 inch cubes (use waxy potatoes like Gold Potatoes)
1-1/2 teaspoons of salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/3 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar Cheese

Optional toppings:

Diced green onion
Diced bacon
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Sour Cream

Add the bacon to a large Dutch oven or pot, and cook over medium high heat until the bacon is crispy. Leaving the grease in the pot, remove the bacon to a plate lined with a paper towel.  Set aside.  

Add the diced onion and cook until softened and translucent.  Add the minced garlic and for an additional 30 seconds or until fragrant.

Stir in the flour until a paste forms and allow this to cook for about 2 to 3 minutes, until a light golden color.  This cooks the flour.

Pour in the chicken stock, milk and cream.  Add the diced potatoes, salt and pepper.  Stir to combine.

Bring the pot to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are softened and easy to mash (this took us about 20-25 minutes).

Turn the heat off and using an immersion blender, blend the soup until most of the potatoes are mixed in and the soup is creamy.  (If you don't have an immersion blender then carefully pour portions of the soup into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth, returning the soup back to the pot. If you don't have any of these I would get a potato masher and gently mash the potatoes. We left some of the cubed potatoes for more texture in the soup.)

With the heat still off, stir in the sour cream and shredded cheese.  Return the bacon to the soup.  Stir to combine.

Serve warm with any additional toppings of your choice.

This makes 6 servings 
1 serving = 195 calories.


Definitely a  keeper.  I'm happy to say we  have leftovers, and we will be enjoying them for lunch tomorrow.  We used all the toppings suggested, plus the sour cream which we added after these photos. 


We also added a croissant on the side.  You don't really need anything though, it stands on its own. 

(If you are looking for something non-dairy, Serene has another Potato Soup we will be trying sometime.  It can be found here.)




40 comments:

  1. Without the bacon (and with vegetables stock) this looks like a recipe I could enjoy. Thank you both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi EC, this easily converts to a vegan or vegetarian meal :)

      Delete
  2. I adore potato soup, and haven't made any in years. I will be making this. Off to see this website now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made a potato soup in ages either. Whenever I go to Panera Bread I will sometimes get theirs. They are very good.

      Delete
  3. I love this recipe website. I have already copied the chicken pot pie soup and the Mexican alphabet soup to try. I subscribed to their mailing list. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear that. The chicken pot pie soup does sound wonderful, and the Mexican alphabet soup. I will have to give both a try. I also subscribed. You are very welcome Ginny.

      Delete
  4. The temperatures have gone up today. Its like a full blown summer day so soup doesn't fit well here at the moment.But you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, I only normally make hot soups in the wintertime, though there are a lot of cold soups out there.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret, let me know what you think of it when you do :)

      Delete
  6. One of my favourite soups, Denise. I am now wishing I had the ingredients to hand to make some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, know what you mean. I am always trying to use what I have in the pantry, and don't usually go to the store for a couple of ingredients.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Foi muito gostoso Francisco. Um abraço e uma boa semana para você, da sua amiga Denise na Virgínia :)

      Delete
  8. Hello, the soup looks delicious. I am always happy with fast and easy recipes. Thanks for sharing. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eileen, happy you liked it. Have a great week :)

      Delete
  9. OH YUMMMMMMMM! we love potato soup, and if it ever cools off I will be making it. mine is somewhat like this but I see a few things I have not used that I will add to mine. thanks for the recipe, I have saved it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra, me too, great comfort food on a cold day up here. Thank you and you are very welcome :)

      Delete
  10. It looks quite delicious. Have a good week Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy! These colder days call for warm soup.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds great. I like potato soup and have made it but it's a lot of work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Red, I do recipes in stages usually getting all my ingredients measured out in the morning, and then it seems to go easier by dinnertime. I also sometimes make things the day before eating them.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. It really is, love eating a nice hot soup when it looks cold and rainy outside :) Thanks William!

      Delete
  14. Potato soup is one of my favorites and this recipe looks delicious, Denise! Soup season is upon us and I couldn't be happier. Have a lovely Monday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha Ellen, that's great, glad you enjoy them. Soup is an all time comfort food isn't it?

      Delete
  15. Perfect weather for soup here this week - rainy and cool - and this recipe looks wonderful, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dorothy, rainy and cold down here too. Keep warm :)

      Delete
  16. Autumn and soup, such a wonderful combination.
    Thanks for sharing this recipe.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Jan and all the best to you too :)

      Delete
  17. Yumm!! I love cooking warming Autumn-type foods while we're still here in Oregon. I appreciate your saying that things always take you longer than the prep time recipes give. Definitely my experience as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Sallie, nothing like a good hot bowl of soup when coming in from the cold. As for prep, I take it slow and easy these days, as I can be klutzy when dealing with sharp knives ;)

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!