Friday, May 25, 2018

A VISIT TO THE VIRGINIA MUSEUM OF FINE ARTS IN RICHMOND, VA

Back in January we decided to visit the art museum.  It is another place we are going back to.  Like most places you just can't see everything in one trip.








I'm surprised I don't have as much information on the artwork I saw.  I think it was because we were rushing through as we had a certain time for the Terra Cotta Army Exhibit.  I do know that the lady in the painting that I cropped from the one above,  is Lydia Schabelsky, Baroness Stael-Holstein.






I cropped and sectioned this one to see the detail.


One of the several tapestries I saw.






The architecture in each section seems to mirror their exhibits perfectly.


Below: Embriachi Workshop
Hexagonal Box from Italy (Venice)
ca. 1400
Carved bone, horn, wood.











One area I would like to visit again is the Faberge section.  


Below: Empress Alexandra Feodorovna and Tsar Nicholas II - ca. 1900.  He is also in the photo above, and I believe one of them is a member of the British Royal Family.  I would have to go back to be sure.




These pieces were very striking, as was the vase and jewelry below it.

















"The Virginia Museum of the Fine Arts is the 10th largest comprehensive art museum in the United States today, with about 5,000 works of art in permanent collection."



24 comments:

  1. Art galleries are wonderful places aren't they? When we go to ours we always see pieces we love (and often see more in them each visit).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are EC., here too. Every visit we see something we hadn’t noticed before.

      Delete
  2. I found this very interesting, Denise. You certainly visit some wonderful places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad Valerie. We have been blessed with our travels.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing these wonderful photos. Excellent. I like the paintings.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Victor. So happy you enjoy those paintings.

      Delete
  4. with art is is all about the details, like the things you cropped. I like to stand in front of a painting, or sometimes take a bench and stare at each section. the paintings are so big it is hard to see it all without staring.. these are wonderful. I did the same thing at Ringling, snapped and forgot to get the details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sit and stare too. Amazing what you can see in those details.

      Delete
  5. Exquisite works of art, and you've photographed them beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a lot to take in on a short rushed visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Denise,
    What beautiful exhibits, artists always leave me saddened as to my inability in that department.
    I'm not bad with a largish brush, far better with a roller.
    Super post with some really varied artworks.
    All the best, John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only admire and love what I see. Thank you John, all the best to you too.

      Delete
  8. Wow what a lovely place to visit. Have a good weekend, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane, and hope your week is going well.

      Delete
  9. This place is fantastic, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used to live near this museum. I have been many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice, I would have been in there all the time.

      Delete
  11. Hello Denise! What beautiful paintings and I enjoyed the details you shared. Also the Faberge - so gorgeous. And yes, Empress Alexandra was a grand-daughter of Queen Victoria. I read a couple of bios about her sister, Elizabeth, who also married into the Russian Royal family and who is now considered a saint in the Orthodox Christian Church. Theirs was quite a life, though such a tragic ending for them all about 100 years ago. I hope life is treating you well these days. Sara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara, Thank you for stopping by with this interesting information. Life is going well and I hope the same for you.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!