Monday, July 31, 2017

MONDAY RECIPE POST - RIBEYE STEAK AND SPICY VEGETABLE HASH

Another Blue Apron meal that can be found here, hopefully.  I am still not sure if you have to be a member to access a recipe over there, but here's hoping.



Ribeye Steak and Spicy Vegetable Hash, with Marinated Cucumber

Cooking time: 20 to 30 minutes
Servings: 2
Nutrition: 590 calories

1 Ribeye Steak
2 cloves Garlic
1 Kirby Cucumber
1 Lime
1 Summer Squash
1 Bunch of Cilantro
2 tablespoons Creme Fraiche
1 oz. sliced pickled Jalapeno Pepper
3/4 pound Yukon Gold Potatoes
1 Poblano Pepper

Prepare the ingredients and marinate the cucumber:

Heat a medium pot of salted water to boiling on high.

Wash and dry fresh produce.

Quarter the lime.

Medium dice the potatoes.

Peel the garlic; using the flat side of your knife, gently smash each clove once to flatten (I use a garlic press instead).  

Roughly chop the cilantro leaves and stems.

Medium dice the squash.

Have the cucumber lengthwise; thinly slice crosswise.  Place in a bowl with the juice of 2 lime wedges and a drizzle of olive oil.  Season with salt and pepper.  Set aside to marinate, stirring occasionally for at least 10 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Cut out and discard the stem, ribs and seeds of the poblano pepper; medium dice.

Roughly chop the jalapeno (the jalapeno came already slice and cooked).

Thoroughly wash your hands, knife and cutting board immediately after handling the peppers.

Cook the potatoes and garlic:

While the cucumber marinates, add the potatoes and garlic to the pot of boiling water.  Cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork.  Turn off the heat.  Drain thoroughly.

Cook the steak:

While the potatoes cook, pat the steak dry with paper towels.  Season with salt and pepper on both sides.  In a large, high-sided pan (or cast iron pan, if you have one) heat 2 teaspoons of olive oil on medium-high until hot.  Add the seasoned steak and cook 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare, or until browned and cooked to your desired degree of doness.  (I covered the pan with a circle of foil and cooked the steaks for 8 minutes on each side.  It was a thin steak and I don't like mine medium-rare.  More on the well done side but definitely not dry.)  Leaving any browned bits (or fond) in the pan, transfer to a cutting board and let rest for at least 5 minutes.

Make the sauce:

While the steak cooks, in a bowl combine the creme fraiche, half the cilantro, the juice of the remaining lime wedges, and as much of the jalapeno pepper as you'd like, depending on how spicy you would like the dish to be.  Drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Make the hash:

While the steak rests, to the pan of reserved fond, add the cooked potatoes and garlic.  (If the pan seems dry, add 1 tespoon of olive oil.)  Cook on medium-high, without stirring, 3 to 4 minutes, or until lightly browned.  

Add the squash and poblano pepper; season with salt and pepper.  

Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes, or until lightly browned.  Turn off the heat; season with salt and pepper to taste.

Slice the steak and plate your dish:

Thinly slice your steak across the grain.  Divide the hash and sliced steak between 2 dishes.  Top the steak with the marinated cucumber (including any marinating liquid).

Garnish with the remaining cilantro.

Serve with the sauce on the side and enjoy!







What did we think?  Another winner.  Everything was very good.  The jalapeno sauce was a lovely addition, as was the marinated cucumber.   We added all the jalapeno and didn't find the sauce too hot.  Both were great accompaniment to the main meal.




30 comments:

  1. another yummy looking meal and one hubby would love

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra. Gregg enjoyed this very much.

      Delete
  2. Hello, looks delicious. Steak is my hubby's favorite meal. Happy Monday, enjoy your day and the new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, mine too :) Have a great week!

      Delete
  3. YUM!! These kind of delivered meals are becoming all the rage. Now other companies are doing this, including Amazon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of others and that Amazon bought Whole Foods and will be going into the meal home delivery.

      Delete
  4. That looks delicious, Denise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too Janie and it was delicious.

      Delete
  5. Sounds great...and looked wonderful. Hoping you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The presentations and descriptions are wonderful, Denise! It might be too spicy for me, but I suppose one could adjust the spices according to one's taste. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely can adjust Linda and I don't like too spicy foods. This was palatable to me, a little hot but not too much :)

      Delete
  7. This meal looks and sounds delicious. It is a bit more work, though, than I am used to doing in meal preparation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to go fast though. Getting everything done before seems to make it a lot easier.

      Delete
  8. sounds interesting. I would like to cook it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good -- I think Blue Apron should offer you a PR job !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sallie, I always enjoy giving credit where credit is due and this is also a good way of saving my favorite recipes where I can find them :)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Happy to find another lover of Blue Apron:)

      Delete
  11. Looks fantastic and bet it tastes it as well. We like spicy food so might hot it up a bit :-) Thanks for sharing Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Diane. It really does taste great. We have been so impressed with these meals.

      Delete
  12. I am glad you enjoyed it. Not for me I don't think. I loathe cucumber - nearly as much as cilantro leaves, and they do sound integral to the dish. Interestingly while I cannot bear cilantro leaf I use coriander seeds and powder very happily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi EC, I like both cucumber and cilantro, though years ago when I tried this herb, I couldn't stand it. Years later we had it as part of a dinner we were invited to and were surprised how much we enjoyed it. However, I still don't like coriander :)

      Delete
  13. That sounds good. I might substitute the pepper for a more mild one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have occasionally thought of substitutions.

      Delete
  14. Sounds and looks so delicious. A complete and well balanced meal. Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love reading about these, we have been on the fence. i like home chef and hello fresh, i am still trying to decide!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me happy Debbie. I have heard of the others. We started BA because our daughter-in-law recommended them after becoming a member and loved them.

      Delete

I thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

Also, there are times when I delete by mistake, so if something you have written to me is gone, it's usually because my fingers have pushed the wrong button!